ADVERTISEMENT

Single Digit Flashback (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Welcome to another edition of Single-Digit Flashback. Playing off Baylor’s new and popular tradition of awarding numbers 0-9 to those deserving players who have become leaders on the team.

The RJB wishes you the happiest of New Years as 2020 is history and 2021 is underway.

>0. From what I understand, Baylor is pretty close to completing its OC search. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is finalized no later than Wednesday. It could be earlier. But it does sound like things are getting there. Does that mean BYU OC Jeff Grimes or Texas A&M offensive line coach Josh Henson? Time will tell. And there could be a snag that changes the course of everything. But given what I’m about to tell you moving forward, you’re going to know that offensive line is of paramount importance for this offense in the coming seasons.

>1. So what that tells you is that the OC is going to be addressed followed by the wide receivers coach position. Now, what could be interesting when titles are given is who is actually made in charge of the passing game. Remember, Jorge Munoz was given that title. Didn’t work out very well as we all know…

>2. If you’re Baylor and you’re looking for offensive line help from the transfer portal, you’re looking at an either/or situation with the two offensive linemen it’s pursuing at the present time. Former Carthage and Charlotte offensive lineman Ty’Kieast Crawford is scheduled to make his announcement on Monday. Baylor definitely likes him. Definitely would want him. However, it doesn’t sound like the program is in a position to get him. Given from what I understand how he handled everything from qualifying late to avoid JUCO ball to get into Charlotte, it was a good thing. If he winds up announcing for Baylor, it’s a great thing. However, I wouldn’t look for it.

>3. As for Vanderbilt grad transfer Grant Miller, I think Baylor feels like it has a really good chance with him. It may be a matter of time before he makes a decision. It’s a fingers crossed situation. However, if Baylor get him, it potentially settles the situation at center. That was something I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. That was a position that was in flux throughout the course of the season. While Jason Moore was credible down the stretch, he’s not the answer. From what I understand, if Baylor lands Miller, it would like to land at least two more to that side of the ball. It makes sense too given how poorly that side of the ball has been for …well, let’s face it…since 2016. For now, Miller and Crawford are the only two portal linemen under consideration. There is more work to do.

>4. I wouldn’t call Baylor’s pursuit of defensive linemen over with the addition of Siaki Ika the capper. Baylor is in a situation where it will still look for more people to determine if they are a fit. However, I believe it’s not the high priority it was post early NSD as it was right after time finished. Baylor knows it has to get the offensive line overhauled with proven players if it wants to compete and win in 2021. It’s that simple.

>5. Not saying this because I cover Aledo radio. But don’t be surprised when Baylor offers Aledo 2022 tight end Jason Llewellyn. At 6-5, 225, he’s really blossomed this year into a major D1 player. His hands are soft. He’s a sure blocker. His athleticism is pretty impressive. The Aledo coaching staff puts him on the hands team for onside kicks. That’s how gifted he is. Had a college scout tell me he’s the No. 1 tight end in Texas. I would believe that based on the some of the athletic plays I’ve seen him make for receptions or scores. He already has offers from Rice, Yale and Michigan State. I think Baylor’s offer will come whenever the new OC is settled and he starts putting things together.

>6. Speaking of Baylor recruits and signees, I tweeted this out on Denton Guyer 2021 signee Cooper Lanz on his block of the field goal Saturday against Prosper. But if you haven’t seen it, here it is. Pretty impressive. Lanz’ rating may not be anything at the top of the line. Yet if you have some athleticism and a motor, it can take you a lot of places. Watch how he just obliterates the Prosper guard. The Dallas Morning News named Lanz its player of the week.

>7. The fallout I heard about Gerry Bohanon’s desire to look into the transfer portal was that he wanted to look into the SEC. The two popular destinations were Arkansas – of course because that’s his home state – and Kentucky. Arkansas didn’t make sense because its QB situation is pretty robust. Plus, it’s hoping it can groom K.J. Jefferson into its starter in 2021 provided Felipe Franks returns. Kentucky’s situation wasn’t going to happen because head coach Mark Stoops just changed offensive coordinators. I’m not saying anything different here, but I do know that if Bohanon thinks he has a chance to play at the next level, he’s going to have to change positions.

>8. After watching Texas manhandle Kansas in Lawrence, KS 84-59, this past Saturday it’s hard not to believe that the Longhorns are running second to Baylor in the Big 12 race. I’m not surprised that Texas won. When I watched the Longhorns win the Maui Invitational in November, I came away impressed. Their offense is more organized. They are balanced between the front court and back court. They are finally making some shots as well. I really haven’t given the rankings much credence this year because of COVID-19. But if you’ll recall, I wrote that there was gap between Baylor and Kansas in the Big 12 race. I think that’s been validated. However, it does appear that Kansas is actually the third-best team in the league. There’s just not enough offense from this team.

>9. We have our National Championship game in college football set for Jan. 11 when Alabama meets Ohio State in Miami. This will be the first meeting between the two since the Buckeyes stunned the Crimson Tide in the 2014 national semifinals. I will not kneejerk like everybody does after a game’s performance because that’s just silly. Every game is different. Matchups are different. But I will say that Ohio State’s chances to upset the Crimson Tide depend on how efficient QB Justin Fields can operate and how well Ohio State’s defense can stop Alabama running back Najee Harris. As explosive as the Crimson Tide is offensively, it still comes down to running the football. If Harris is getting his share each carry, then Alabama wins.

BTW, I like Crimson Tide wide receiver Devonta Smith to win the Heisman Trophy on Tuesday’s announcement. He would be the first non-running back/quarterback to win since Michigan DB/PR Charles Woodson won it in 1997.

Let’s make it a great week!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News