ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals 4-star Christian Brathwaite commits to Baylor; No. 8 (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s pipeline into the Cy Ranch football program has been one of the strongest among all Texas high schools.

It continued Sunday. Rivals 4-star 2023 inside linebacker Christian Brathwaite announced on social media that he had committed to the Bears. He’s the eighth commitment to the class.

Brathwaite is the third commit in as many years to give their pledge to Baylor. He follows defensive back Romario Noel from 2021 and offensive lineman Bryce Simpson who just signed with the 2022 class.

The move was also significant. Simpson had visited Texas Tech for its junior day on Saturday. However, Baylor’s defensive coaching staff had built a long relationship with Brathwaite.

“I felt like it needed to be done,’’ Brathwaite said. “Baylor is home. I step on campus like I already go there.’’

That relationship gained momentum this past June when Brathwaite visited for an under classmen event. He had the same thought about Baylor back then as he did Sunday.

And as he watched Baylor’s defense become one of the best in all of college football, that sold itself.

“I learned that they play there defense how I play defense at my high school,’’ Brathwaite said at the time. So I fit right into the scheme.’’

Brathwaite is a veteran of the Cy Ranch varsity. He saw quite a bit of action in 2019 and then started during the 2020 and 2021 seasons. However, he missed some time due to an injury. Cy Ranch coaches will look to him to continue that work in 2022.

He drew offers from Tennessee, Texas Tech, Cal and Colorado. The Bears were the first to offer him.

“The loyalty they have for me means a lot,’’ he said. “I feel the love and support already.’’

While he is not in the Rivals 250, Brathwaite is in that next category of 4-star prospects. He has a 5.8 rating. It’s very early. However, Brathwaite’s addition places the Bears at No. 9 in the Rivals 2023 team rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News