ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana 2022 DT Sledge worked for Baylor's offer (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The return of the summer camp season appears to be coming at the right time for Monroe (LA) Neville 2022 defensive tackle Enyce Sledge.

He’s been talking with Baylor for nearly a year. It’s clear that the Bears’ coaching staff was interested. However, his performance at Baylor’s first summer camp this past Saturday at McLane Stadium lock up the offer he wanted.

“What helped me secure this offer was the great coaching from defensive side of the coaching staff,’’ Sledge said. “They all made sure I got every little detail to carry over into one on ones to come out on top. There was a lot of great Oline talent, and I want to thank he dline guys who worked hard with me.’’

Sledge’s recruitment has been quite curious. With Baylor, he’s up to 20 offers. However, most of those are either FCS or non-P5 offers. The Bears joined Kansas State as the only P5s.

However, Sledge’s showing out in these camps could change his trajectory. He’s headed to Texas Tech on June 10, TCU June 13, LSU June 17 and Texas June 25. If those coaches see what Baylor saw, then anything is possible.

Of course, Baylor is searching for more defensive line help with the recent de-commitment of Pflugerville Hendrickson’s Cedric Roberts. Sledge is now one of those possibilities. There wasn’t any specific Baylor needed to see from Sledge on Saturday, he said. He just had to go out and perform.

“Ever since I stepped foot into camp they had their eyes on me and watched my character,’’ Sledge said. “They saw how I acted toward the other athletes. My character was the same way I act at my home town and in school. I’m a great person to be around while we aren’t doing anything football related. Me and the guys talked and laughed a little. But when it was time to step onto Baylor’s field and work, I flipped the switch.’’

Sledge’s upper body is pretty impressive. He’s able to use his shoulders and drive right into the opposing offensive lineman and push him back consistently.

“I would describe my game as a power and finesse guy,’’ Sledge said. “I do great with my hands, but I need to improve on my reacting. But I think my reaction timing is there.’’

Sledge did use the time Saturday to look around the Baylor campus. It was his first visit, he said. He also discussed the possibility of doing an official visit. However, nothing specific has been mentioned.

“I looked around and the first thing that caught my eyes was the whole campus of Baylor especially the field the locker rooms,’’ he said. “And the plan that coach [Aranda] has for the future for Baylor’s facilities and Baylor’s game plan. I loved it.’’

Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News