ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Collumn - 4/23/04

Jason Howell

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2001
As you all know this is information that stays within this thread and within the confines of this forum. Feel free to comment but remember that many important people read the content of this site, and to post accordingly. With that said have fun and share your opinions.

A couple of Dallas Skyline receivers caught something over the past week, and I’m not talking about footballs. Phillip Nevels both received offers from Baylor early this week.

Here’s what Mikail had to say about his first offer

“It’s close to home, they’re trying to come up in the Big 12. I like Baylor. They’re one of my top 5.”

His top 5 is rounded out by LSU, SMU, Texas, and Oklahoma St.

Phillip who is also a pretty good baseball prospect (had 27 steals in 15 games) was also happy to hear from the Bears.

“I liked it, and if they let me play baseball then I’ll really consider going.”

He then listed a top 3 of Rice, Baylor, and Notre Dame with Baylor being the only offer at this point.

He later stated, “[Baylor’s] trying to build up right now. They’ll be alright in a couple of years.”

Killeen Shoemaker DT Roy Miller has moved the Bears up his list to the top spot

Roy said, ““When we went to Baylor I just liked a lot of stuff about it. They’ve got a lot of friendly people, and stuff like that. I just liked the atmosphere, and how the coaches are. I can see myself making an impact there, helping the team and stuff. I see their program coming up and stuff and I want to be a part of that.”

Waco linebacker Shon Brown was seen at Junior Day wearing Baylor attire. He did clarify that he was just chillin’ and that it didn’t mean that he was committed. He has had the Bears at the top of his list along with Arkansas, but it appears other schools are closing the gap. LSU and Oklahoma have been in touch and they have got Shon’s ear. He would still like to make an early commitment, but would like to see his favorites.

Another prospect with Baylor ties is Arlington RB/DE Tony Anderson. Don’t make the mistake of thinking this guy will play DE, because he won’t have it. He is a running back pure and simple.

The Bears have had some ground to make up on the Arlington running back and have made a significant impression on the young man as he is now listing the Bears as one of the 4 schools he is interested in at this point.

Here’s what he had to say about his experience at the Green and Gold Game

“I’m starting to like Baylor a little bit more. When I was younger I really didn’t want to go there, but after talking to the Baylor coaches and stuff I’m starting to feel a little different.”

He is now listing Baylor along with Michigan, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M as schools he is showing the most interest in right now.

Ada, Okla. offensive guard Craig Roark is still interested in the Bears and is planning to at least come down to a game in the fall.

Terrel Nemons has stated that the Bears are in his top 2 with Texas and he is also starting to mention Kansas. Last week when we talked to him he mentioned how he would be evaluating teams and here is what he had to say about Baylor.

“I’m looking at like Baylor, they really didn’t have a good record last year, but I’m looking at how their program is coming along. I’m looking to the future. I think they’re going to look pretty good in the future.”

He was able to make it to Baylor for the Spring game last weekend to check things out.

The Bears welcomed 8 of February’s signees at the Spring Game

Anthony McDonald – S – Copperas Cove
Bradley Bullitt – LB – Garland Naaman Forest
Nate Cook – WR – Allen
Marlon Price – S - Lancaster
Jason Smith – TE – Dallas White
Geoff Nelson – DE – Cedar Hill
Dan Gay – DT – Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More
Marcus Mead – LB – Alva, Okla.

More recruits on hand for the Spring game including

Jamaal Pettiford – QB – Humble – 6’1”, 205, 4.5
David Allison – OT – Humble – 6’5”, 285, 5.3