ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Western Carolina OL Isaiah Helms, Baylor on express path (COMMITS ELSEWHERE)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s coaching staff could be on the verge of one of those express recruiting adventures.

Between the times of Baylor starting to talk with Western Carolina center Isaiah Helms to offering him to his timeline toward making a decision, the Bears should know in the coming days where they are headed.

Helms entered the NCAA transfer portal from the FCS school on April 30. Since then, he has announced 19 offers between other FCS and Division I schools. However, Baylor is his most significant offer. There’s also one from Temple. Helms says he has three years of eligibility remaining.

“I started talking to them a couple of days ago,’’ Helms said. “I reached out to them because they couldn’t talk to me. But it’s been very good to this point. I’m making a decision this week.’’

Helms, a native of Lenoir, N.C., played center for the Catamounts in 2019 before suffering a season ending injury against Alabama late in that season. He and his team played a split schedule in 2020 and 2021 between the fall and the spring. The Catamounts played three non-conference games in November and December last year and then played their Southern Conference schedule Jan. 22-March 27 of this years. The last two games of the 1-8 season were canceled.

What’s interesting about this is that Baylor likes him at center. Set in stone or not, when the Bears went through the Green and Gold game on April 24 at McLane Stadium, they had moved 5th-year player Xavier Newman-Johnson to center. The presumed center, Vanderbilt transfer Grant Miller, was at guard.

But this pursuit of Helms is for no other position than the one he plays. He has been speaking with Baylor offensive line coach Eric Mateos.

“He is a really smart coach,’’ Helms said. “He’s young and knowledgeable. I feel like I’m nasty and strong. Baylor’s O Line is tough. And as nasty as it is, that’s why I would fit in.”

Baylor’s push is accelerated because on the day the staff offered [Sunday], it also went through a virtual tour of the campus with him.

“The city of Waco and the staff looks very supportive of the student athletes,’’ Helms said. “Facilities were nice as well. It’s a step up compared to FCS schools.”

He was a two-way player in high school. As a senior, Helms was selected to the 82nd annual Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas all-star football game.

SicEmSports will keep you posted as to the status of this prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News