ADVERTISEMENT

East Texas 2021 OL Carson's campaign worked, talks Baylor offer (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

To loosely borrow an expression, Cole Carson is a big man who stands out in a small town.

Nestled in the quiet East Texas community near Mount Vernon, Bogota, Texas is a town of a little less than 1,200.
But thanks to the power of social media, Carson took his act to those who would be interested. Somehow, people were going to notice this 6-6 prospect from Rivercrest.

And it worked.

Recently, Baylor was one of the latest to offer him.

“I made a Twitter account and started posting my film, stats and awards on it,’’ he said. “I also sent my film out to Coach's nonstop and my Head Coach sent my film out to a lot of schools as well. I started earlier in my football season, and I erupted after I got the Arkansas offer bigger than I had expected.

“It was the first time me and [offensive line] Coach [Joe] Wickline have spoken but plan on doing more. We didn’t get into positions much. But he said he saw my film and said, “I gotta have this kid. I believe Baylor has a good coach [Dave Aranda] and is capable of winning championships.’’

Playing for a small school, just about everybody on the roster is going to play both ways. That’s true for Carson. He’s also on the defensive line.

He started on the varsity at defensive tackle as a freshman. Carson then became a starter at offensive tackle as a sophomore. Since then, he hasn’t come off the field. And he’s a young one. He won’t turn 17 until the start of his senior year.

However, his films focused on his offensive line. That’s where interested schools have moved.

“I think I have good defensive recognition and footwork,’’ he said. “And I’m always looking to get faster and stronger by staying on my lifting program.’’

So far, that weight training is paying off. His max in the squat is 495, 275 in the bench, 215 in the hang clean and 455 in the dead lift.

Like every recruit, Carson’s plans to see all of his interested schools got disrupted due to the coronavirus outbreak. The NCAA recruiting period is in place through at least April 15. He is planning on visiting Baylor.

“I've got to find a place I'm comfortable and get along with the players and coach,’’ Carson said. “Somewhere with a comfortable atmosphere and facilities.’’

Carson plans on graduating in May 2021. He wants to study agriculture as he is a member of his school’s Future Farmers of America program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mar.Gen.bf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News