ADVERTISEMENT

Camden, AR 2022 OL Timothy Dawn commits to Baylor - No. 8 (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor had him at hello.

That’s how Camden (AR) 2022 offensive lineman Timothy Dawn took his greeting when he first started talking with Baylor offensive line coach Eric Mateos.

Within two weeks of his offer, the budding guard from the Natural State gave his commitment to Dave Aranda’s program on Saturday. He is the eighth commitment to the class. There were other P5 offers from Missouri, Arizona State and Kansas.

“The day me and Coach Mateos first talked on the phone, he welcomed me in like family,’’ Dawn said. “Don’t get me wrong. Most of the other schools that I’ve communicated with did the same thing. But it was something different with Baylor. I just felt a connection with the staff up there.

“And the other thing that made Baylor different from any other school was that they are a Christian school. You should’ve seen my face when coach told me that. I told my momma as soon as soon as me coach got off the phone that I think Baylor is the one.’’

Baylor sees Dawn as a guard for its future offensive lines. He now joins Bowie (TX) Coleton Price as the first two offensive line commits.

Mateos explained to Dawn how these future offenses under new offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes will use their strength of their lines in the running game. It’s no secret that Baylor’s offensive lines has been a weak link in the past five seasons. Dawn has been a starter at Camden since he was a freshman. He began at tackle for his first three years. However, he said the plan is for him to move to guard for his senior year so he can get ready for Baylor.

“My top strength is my footwork,’’ Dawn said. “I have very good feet. The thing I need to work on the most is just finishing every play like it’s my last. Coach Mateos said he liked my aggressiveness and how I’m able to move around.’’

Dawn has taken a virtual tour of the school. That also entered into his commitment decision.

“Three things stood out,’’ Dawn said. “No. 1 was this video of some athletes traveling across the world to spread the name of Jesus and to learn new cultures. No. 2 was the facilities they have. Amazing. And the last thing that stood out was the coaching staff.’’

Dawn said he plans on traveling to visit Baylor for the first time sometime in the summer. There are hopes that the current dead period that runs through May 31 will be allowed to expire.

If so, he’ll likely check out the strength training facilities. But he already has a good start there. His personal best in the squat is 465, 315 in the power clean and 355 in the bench.

A three-star recruit with a 5.6 rating, Dawn is the No. 9 player in Arkansas according to Rivals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News