ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor - WVU Observations

bumad

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2004
Some unsung heros -

1. Brian Nance is getting harder to keep off of the field.
2. After Billings went down KJ Smith was moved to tackle. He did a surprisingly good job.
3. Chance Waz is getting better week by week. His man coverage is good and he made some really good place. Some were critical of his zone coverage, but overall I am much more confident than I was with TB.
4. Seth Russell - ran well, but I was almost disappointed he didn't out run those fast DBs for WVU. Couple of times he looked tired when he got up. Is he the best QB since RGIII? Can he be better than RGIII?
5. OL - we knew WVU would take away the run between the tackles as they stacked 7 against 5-6. Still Russell had all day to throw the ball.
6. Blackshear quietly had a very good game.

Other observations -

1. Baylor fans are getting fickle. I can hear it around me. People expect us to win every game like our opponent is Lamar or Kansas. This WVU is the best defense in the Big 12 and we destroyed them.
2. Like Holgorsen said, Corey Coleman is the best player in college football. I was surprised that even though they didn't make an adjust we went away from Corey in the 2nd quarter a bit.
3. Not sure why we don't use TE up the middle against WVU more. Their LBs play tight to stop the run. Also RBs out of backfield.
4. For some reason I don't get tired of Coleman mouthing but I do get tired of KD Cannon mouthing.
5. Seeing little of back up receivers now - Hall and Hawthorne in particular I thought would play bigger roles this year.
6. Catch by Jay Lee in the corner of the end zone was a thing of beauty. Incredible pass, amazing catch and timing was perfect. On any other team Jay Lee would be the go-to guy.

Overall we beat a very good WVU that had to win this game. I don't think we can lose to anyone unless we beat ourselves. We are that good. We don't cover kick wells and our DBs get beat deep sometimes. I guess every team has something to improve. At midfield with 3rd and about 8 our DBs were jamming their super-fast WRs at the line. Who else does that? Reid gets beat on a perfect pass in the end zone. Doesn't bother me at all if we are going to play that kind of defense. It is going to happen.

I think Baylor fans may struggle to get to Baylor-ISU game. We just seem to be taking things a bit for granted these days.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News