ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor-Texas Tech Review (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

No. 4/5 Baylor opened Big 12 play with a resounding 63-35 victory over Texas Tech at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. The Bears improved to 4-0 and 1-0 in league play. Let’s take a look at what the publisher saw.

>When the Big 12 power rankings come out next week in the Blitz, expect some movement. It’s really clicking. It really looks like it’s snapped back into shape. All of the concerns have dissolved. This is the best team in the history of Baylor football. Now, this group is starting to play like it. This was total ownership from the opening kickoff. I really liked what happened out there. As long as you understood that the Red Raiders would make their plays and yards, then you know what I mean. Holding Tech to 35 points and making them one-dimensional was a credit to this team.

>There are two numbers that I want to emphasize – 52 and 24. The first number is the number of rushing attempts. The second number is the number of passing attempts. As one who is the biggest advocate of a team running the football and just absolutely imposing its well against the opposition, Saturday afternoon validated that what happened Sept. 26 against Rice is not a one-time thing. This is Baylor football for 2015. This is the way this team is going to get to where it wants to go. The running game MUST lead the way and quarterback Seth Russell can be asked to manage the game and make his share of plays. Russell won’t be asked to win a game unless he absolutely has to do it. More often than not, this team likely will not ask Russell to do it.

>Art Briles said it best in his postgame presser when he said about his running game: “When you run the ball, it hurts people in the heart. So that’s something we wanted to do.’’ Baylor finished this game with 368 yards against a pretty brutal Texas Tech rushing defense. But the Bears physically whipped the Red Raiders at the point of attack and just never gave the Red Raiders any hope this was going to be a game – even after Tech tied it, 7-7 – in the early moments of it. Baylor’s offensive line owned this game from the opening snap. I get some people complaining about what it might have or might not have looked like in second half. But let’s be real, here. Raise your hand if you really believe this team was going to get pushed by the Red Raiders in the second 30 minutes. I’m keeping my hand down.

>I’ll take this a step further. The scope of this running game has changed and is set. Shock Linwood is THE back. The others in Johnny Jefferson, Terence Williams and Devin Chafin (whenever he returns) are just going to be compliments. I’m glad to see it. I kind of advocated this stance during the offseason. When Linwood emerged last year, I truly believe the Baylor coaching staff fully understood that it was going to make him the guy. Linwood is durable, can break off his share of runs and possess enough moves to make the first tackler miss. The 79-yarder to open the scoring was something we really haven’t seen from him. He can do it. Linwood finished with a career-high 221 yards. When he is in rhythm, he’s really difficult to stop. That’s another aspect that Baylor wants to capitalize on.

>Let’s continue the countdown. Linwood needs 1,533 yards to break Walter Abercrombie’s all-time school rushing record of 3,665 yards. He’s now at 584 yards and needs 949 yards in the final eight regular season games to break it. Baylor will play at least a 13th game so those numbers will count toward that record. But let’s just stay with the now since Baylor hasn’t become bowl eligible. Linwood would need to average a little more than 118 yards per game in order to do that. I’ve said this before and am sticking with it. Linwood is going to break that record this year. Johnny Jefferson is not doing anything for me right now.

>Another solid performance by Seth Russell (15-23-1, 286 4TD). Anytime you march a team 92 yards down the field for a touchdown, it says something about your ability to run an offense. To be sure, Russell has chemistry with Corey Coleman (I’m running out of superlatives here) and Jay Lee. As for KD Cannon, today was a better day. But it’s not a lot better. There is still mystery in the relationship. Just like last week against Rice, he catches a touchdown pass in the first quarter and is just meh. His other two receptions totaled nine yards. Still going to watch this.

>I don’t know if Baylor has true possession receiver. It is still necessary for this offense to have one. Baylor probably doesn’t need one until Nov. 5 in Manhattan, KS.

>On the surface, Baylor’s defense surrendered a ton of points and yards (636 – but a good chunk of that was well after the fact). But give this unit its due. For one, it pretty much nullified the Red Raider running game. Tech running back Deandre Washington was shut down (13-39) and just could never get anything going. Tech finished with 106 yards rushing that this team was pretty much one-dimensional. Secondly, it created four turnovers. The two in the second quarter pretty much took it out of the Red Raiders and ensured that Baylor was going to be pushed.

>Really not sure what gets into NB Travon Blanchard. In these two games with Tech, he’s in the middle of the turnover game. He had an interception last year. Blanchard created two Saturday. He forced a fumble (recovered by Chance Waz, who is getting better) and collected another interception. You don’t question karma. You just roll with it.

>Continuing with the defense, the top receiving threats in Devin Lauderdale (3-16) and Jakeem Grant (6-69) didn’t do anything to make the secondary nervous. So credit secondary coach Carlton Buckels for getting this group ready. The Xavien Howard interception was pretty solid.

>I really like Tech QB Patrick Mahomes. He’s a player. Sometimes, you just have to give the opposition a tip of the cap. He has my respect. Having said that, many of you know I put more stock in QB hurries than I do sacks. To me those tell the story. Baylor didn’t record a sack. Mahomes is a pretty athletic quarterback. But the Bears recorded 13 hurries. That really changes the tempo of the play.

>11-16 on 3rd down. Win this down consistently and you will win the game.

>8-72 in penalties. For Baylor that's pretty stunning given what we're used to seeing.

>The good thing about next week’s exhibition game at Kansas is that it will be over early in the afternoon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News