ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept. 26, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: We mentioned in a thread that Baylor assistant Jerome Tang did an in home visit with Memphis Douglass 3-star guard LaGerald Vick. The 6-5 Vick, a shooting guard, fits the mold of the other guards Baylor has pursued including Rockdale's Wendell Mitchell. Vick has offers from Ole Miss, Memphis, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Western Kentucky. He plays for the Memphis-based AAU program Team Thad. His wing span is estimated to be about 6-8. Up until about five months ago, Vick was considered a relatively unknown. But some valuable production in the spring and summer helped his name become more common in recruiting circles …Tang also visited Skal Labissiere, the 5-star center in Cordova, TN. Labissiere has recently named Baylor among his finalists. Labissiere's only known official visit is Oct. 4 at Tennessee.

Wilson analysis

Keller Fossil Ridge safety and Baylor commit Montrel Wilson had an interesting night. He came up with his first interception of the season in Fossil Ridge's 52-42 shootout win over Justin Northwest Thursday in Keller.

The pick was a product of his studying the scouting reports. That might tell you how he values film study.

"We had been working on their fake all week, and I saw [Northwest quarterback Jesse Drummer] raise his arm,'' Wilson said. "When I did that, I knew where he was going, and boom I got it.''

The interception proved important because it thwarted a scoring threat after Northwest returned the opening kickoff deep into Fossil Ridge territory.

Wilson has mixed the season between free and strong safety. And what makes him effective is how quick he is. He can stalk wide receivers over the top and defended a couple of passes. But he not playing to the level he needs to be. Obviously, surrendering 42 points doesn't give them a lot of comfort either.

"We play a pretty simple base defense but perfect it and play it as fast as we can,'' Wilson said. "Personally, I'm doing alright but I have lots of room to improve. The room to improve is great. And that's how great I think I can be.''

Wilson said everything between him and the Baylor coaches remains solid.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A side note

He may or may not have the speed Baylor would be looking for down the road, but Wilson's teammate 2015 running back Keyshawn Johnson (5-10, 200) enjoyed a huge game. He rushed for 281 yards and four scores. Mitchell is already up to 841 yards and rushing for 8.3 yards per attempt.

Mitchell has decent but not exceptional speed at 4.6 in the 40. But what impressed is how quickly he could adjust, bounce and take the run to the perimeter. Now, he didn't see exceptional speed from the Northwest defense. But quality running backs do have a knack to take runs in different directions.

So why isn't anyone looking at him?

"Really, I didn't get to go to any camps this summer because of some family stuff in California,'' Mitchell said. "I get some letters from a couple of schools like Kansas. I'm hoping that more people will see what I can do this year.''

Mitchell split time in 2013 and rushed for 720 yards and averaged six yards per carry. This could be a recruit some Division I schools jump in on him late. Is he good enough to get in at the P5 level? Probably not. However, he has a chance to get on someone's second or third option.

-Kevin Lonnquist

The mystery visit

During Baylor's bye week, offensive line coach Randy Clements went out to Pierce C.C. in Woodland Hills, CA to watch target Jay'Onn Myles. The move came as somewhat of a surprise because Myles was expecting defensive coordinator Phil Bennett.

That said, Baylor's appearance represented the staff remaining very interested. While he has a verbal offer, Myles doesn't have a written offer. Pierce lost to Southwestern, 41-14. Still Myles thought he played pretty well. Remember, Myles could be an option in the return game.

"I thought it was the best game I've ever played, so we'll see what happens,'' Myles said. "I think I should be hearing from them pretty soon because I did earn defensive MVP of the game. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.''

Myles said he followed up with Bennett by sending his films through the first two games. Time will tell. The question Baylor is going to have to answer is if can accept Myles at 5-8.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Running back watch - Part I

Abilene plays at Southlake Carroll on Friday in Southlake. The Eagles feature 2017 running back Abram Smith, who camped at Baylor in July. Smith (6-0, 195) turned his 2013 late season opportunity into success and continues to flourish this year.

Through the Eagles' first four games, he has rushed for 651 yards and averaged 162.8 yards per game and added seven touchdowns. His longest run is from 90 yards. Plus, he's been pretty reliable with his hands, averaging 15.5 yards on eight receptions.

That package is what drew the Baylor coaching staff toward him at the camp. Abilene coach Steve Warren has been high on Smith even since he started with the varsity.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Running back watch - Part II

Absolutely nobody knows about Colleyville Heritage 2016 running back Jamarie Williams (5-11, 180). But he also isn't a player that just happened to come out of the nowhere and amazed the Colleyville Heritage coaching staff. Head coach Darren Allman and his coaches were well aware of what the 4.5 40-yard speedster could do.

Williams enjoyed a breakout game with career-high 127 yards in the 40-16 win at Lake Highlands on Sept. 12 and has 234 for the season. What's been impressive is that he's averaging more than seven yards per rushing attempt.

"He has good speed and raw ability,'' Alllman said. "What we had to figure out about him was if he was going to be able to mentally take it all in in terms of pass protections. He's been getting better and earning our confidence.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

From Nicholson comes more

The commitment of South Grand Prairie's Tony Nicholson to Baylor last week could be just the beginning of things for Baylor at the school.

The Warriors feature two intriguing athletes in 2016 quarterback/athlete Greg Eisworth (6-1, 180) and 2017 athlete Jeffrey Okudah (6-1, 190).

"Baylor has been recruiting them very hard and is definitely watching them,'' South Grand Prairie coach Brent Whitson said. "There are a lot of things these two that can help a football team. They're very athletic.''

Eisworth's future in college probably won't be at quarterback. He can play in the secondary and his listed. 4.49 speed is something to watch. As the Warriors' starting quarterback, he has thrown for 742 yards (only completed 54 percent) and nine TDs. Okudah plays on both sides of the ball and presents big-play possibilities. He's averaging 28.5 yards per grab.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings include the outcome of the Texas Tech-Oklahoma State game

1. Baylor - Three of the first in Big 12 on the road starting Saturday in Ames

2. Oklahoma - Sooners outscoring opponents 73-32 in the second half

3. Kansas State - WR Tyler Lockett struggling out of the gate

4. Oklahoma State - Cowboys still struggling with the running game

5. West Virginia - Losses to Alabama and Oklahoma reveal lack of depth

6. TCU - Horned Frogs about to whip up on SMU

7. Texas - Make it nine players dismissed from the program; drug tests have doubled

8. Texas Tech - The penalty problems with this team are pretty embarrassing

9. Iowa State - Hard to forget 71 points put on them from the previous Baylor meeting

10. Kansas - This is as good as it can get for the Jayhawks to beat Texas

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. Oklahoma and West Virginia have byes.

No. 24 Oklahoma State 45, Texas Tech 35 (Thursday)

At Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, OK, Oklahoma State quarterback Daxx Garman threw for 370 yards and four touchdowns as the Cowboys rallied from an early deficit in the Big 12 opener for both teams. While the Cowboys (3-1, 1-0) still struggled running the football (3.8 avg), they forced three Red Raider (2-2, 0-1) interceptions. Tech quarterback Davis Webb left the game in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury. The teams combined for 26 penalties and 287 total yards. The Red Raiders have allowed 49 and 45 points in each of their last two losses.

UTEP (2-1) at No. 25/25 Kansas State (2-1, 1-0)

11:00 a.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (FSN)

The skinny: This is going to be a decent test because the Miners played Texas Tech very tough (30-26) and have a pretty solid running game led by Aaron Jones. Jones has already rushed for 549 yards. The Wildcats have to find a way to get their running game going. They had only 40 yards on 30 attempts last week against Auburn.

TCU (2-0) at SMU (0-3)

11:00 a.m. Gerald J. Ford Stadium, University Park (CBS Sports Network)

The skinny: The 93rd meeting in the Battle for the Iron Skillet (TCU leads, 46-39-7) has the makings of a blowout. The Horned Frogs have allowed only 21 points in the first two games. SMU has scored only 12 points and is working on its third different starting quarterback in a walk on.

Texas (1-2) at Kansas (2-1)

3:00 p.m. Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: The Big 12 opener for both teams. The Jayhawks have won only one of the first 12 meetings between with the Longhorns. However, Texas is depleted offensively with no playmakers at wide receiver and head coach Charlie Strong is very conservative with starting QB Tyrone Swoopes. Kansas QB Montell Cozart has been pretty good at home. If he can make some plays, then the Jayhawks have a chance.

No. 6/7 Baylor (3-0) at Iowa State (1-2)

7:00 p.m. Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA (FOX)

The skinny: Baylor leads the nation in yards per game (654.3), points per game (59.3) and is third in passing (416.0). And the Bears did this with the reserve quarterback and wide receiver corps for about half of it. Now, the journey toward a second consecutive Big 12 title begins. The Cyclones have a solid quarterback in Sam B. Richardson, but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to throw deep. Baylor's highly touted defensive line gets its first solid test of the season.

Emptying the Notebook

>Two of Baylor's running back recruiting targets enjoyed exceptional performances against each other. McKinney North running back Ronald Jones II rushing for 393 yards and six touchdowns in the 49-46 loss to Wylie East. East 2017 running back Eno Benjamin wasn't too back himself rushing for 228 yards and four touchdowns. Jones has said that he plans on taking visits elsewhere, even though he is committed to Oklahoma State.

>The Isaiah Austin Foundation has announced that its inaugural event, An Evening With Isaiah Austin will be held Friday, Oct. 24, at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. The dinner event will feature former Baylor Basketball star Isaiah Austin, Baylor basketball head coach Scott Drew and others, along with an auction. An Evening with Isaiah Austin is sponsored by the National Basketball Association and the Dallas Mavericks. Notable Baylor alumni Jay Allison, Lance Byrd, Dary Stone and Jim Turner are serving as Honorary Chairmen.

>There are a couple of oddities within Baylor's ranking in the Big 12 stats. The Bears don't have a player in the top 10 kick return averages. Obviously, there haven't been a lot chances for that to happen (six total)…Baylor has already attempted 25 extra points (converted them all)…the Bears have not allowed a sack…the Bears have converted all seven of their fourth down attempts…Baylor opponents are averaging just 1.8 yards per attempt

>Baylor has started to push 2018 offers. The men's basketball team has offered 2018 International Christian (PA) G Junior Farquhar.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News