ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept. 25, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chambers announcement
Baylor has added two verbal commitments this week to the 2016 class in Sachse athlete Donovan Duvernay and Fort Bend Hightower defensive end Micheal Johnson. It’s hoping for a third in Houston MacArthur defensive end Isaiah Chambers. Chambers, No. 178 in the Rivals250.

Chambers is scheduled to announce his decision at 2:15 pm Friday at the school. Baylor is considered a dark horse in this recruitment. The word we’ve had is that TCU is the team to beat. By mid-afternoon everyone will know. We’ll pass along when it’s announced.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor-Rice visitors
Here is the early look at those recruits who have said they plan on attending Saturday’s game. As always, this list is subject to change. This is apparently a big homecoming week for several recruits.
>J.P. Urquidez, OL, Copperas Cove (Baylor 2016 commit)
>Donovan Stiner, S, Houston Bellaire (Baylor 2017 commit)
>Denzel Mims, Ath, Daingerfield (Baylor 2016 commit)
>Kellen Mond, SA Reagan (Baylor 2017 commit)
>Jhamon Ausbon, WR, Houston St. Thomas (Baylor 2017 commit)
>Hezekiah Jones, WR, Stafford (Baylor 2017 commit)
>Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (Baylor 2016 commit)
>Rajah Preciado, S, College Station (Baylor 2016 commit)
-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball notes
>Small forward Mario Kegler, the Nation's No. 29 2016 prospect in the Rivals150, is taking his official visit to Baylor this weekend. Kegler is planning on taking all five official visits before his announcement. He's planning on visiting Indiana and Maryland in October. Kegler is 6-7, 210.

>We mentioned last week Baylor was close to offering 2017 forward Nicholas Claxton from Greenville, S.C. The Bears did officially offer the Rivals No. 121 prospect.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Ke’Von Ahmad is the real deal
If you want to make an impact, do it on the big stage. Colleyville Heritage 2018 wide receiver Ke’Von Ahmad enjoyed a record-setting night for the Panthers in their 52-33 loss to Euless Trinity.

Ahmed (6-0, 175) caught 15 passes for 257 yards and had touchdown grabs of 29 and 38 yards. We told you about him in a recent blitz because of what we saw in a scrimmage against Arlington Lamar.

This performance did more than validate Ahmad’s ability. He’s been a playmaker since he stepped on the Colleyville Heritage campus. He’s legit.

Colleyville Heritage coach Joe Willis said Baylor and SMU are among the first Texas schools to make contact and inquire about him. Ahmad is originally from Ponte Vedra, FL and has had some interest from the schools on the Atlantic Coast including Clemson.

To see him produce this kind of performance against one of the nation’s top programs was more than impressive. Colleyville Heritage lined him up in the slot and on the outside. There was not any route he was afraid from running. He’s pretty disciplined for where he is in his high school career.

Ahmad’s hands are arguably the most impressive aspect of his game. He looks the ball in and doesn’t fight it as it’s coming toward him. He did have a couple of drops. One was a difficult play down the sideline on a deep ball. Right off his hands. Had he caught it, it would have been exceptional.

“I remember Jerry Rice saying that when he started working, he did a lot of things to make sure he had good hands,’’ Ahmad said. “He said he would catch things in the dark and even catch bricks. So my dad and I just started with me catching tennis balls, footballs…anything in the dark so I would be more and more comfortable. I’m still doing it.’’

On his first catch of the night, he was in the right place at the right time. He ran a slant where the ball deflected off a Trinity defender. He snared it and ran for about 35 yards. For his second touchdown reception, there was pretty good coverage by the Trojan defender on a deep ball. But Ahmad was able to stay with it and dropped his hands to his knees where the ball landed. His instincts are that good.

He is also fearless about going over the middle. He knows he’s going to take hit. That’s fine with him.

“I just told [quarterback Cam Roane] to throw it fast and throw it a lot, and I’ll be there,’’ Roane said. “I’m doing this for my team. I’m going to hit. That’s what happens. But I’m going to keep playing.’’

It’s going to take some time for some schools to evaluate him and extend offers. This is just getting started. But Ahmad fast (4.5 40, 10.76 100). You could call him a poor man’s K.D. Cannon. But there are two more years for this script to be written.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Making the right miss?
Since Colleyville Heritage played Euless Trinity, this also gave me the opportunity to watch Rivals250 defensive tackle Chris Daniels.

Of course, Daniels left Baylor out of his Top 5 three weeks ago. That included Ohio State, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Michigan.

This was first chance to see Daniels so I want to be fair. But I have to say, I didn’t come away with a great feeling much less overly impressed. He did face constant double teams and Colleyville Heritage ran a lot plays away from his side of the field.

However, I didn’t see him dominate like I would have expected. There were several one-on-one moments where he wasn’t winning them or overpowering his opposing blocker. It was a draw.

Now, Trinity’s defensive line did have the better of it all night and Daniels’ presence allowed others to have open looks.

That’s probably how it was coming into this game and what it will be like moving forward. But whenever he decides on his school, I think he’s going to have to play with a better motor and use his frame to his advantage.

Should he do that, then he will develop into solid Division I player. Maybe I caught him on a night where he wasn’t right.

Of course, Baylor would have likely wanted to be in that Top 5. That said, what I saw didn’t affirm with me this was a major miss.
-Kevin Lonnquist

VIDEO: With the Baylor Bears
We have video interviews with several of the Bears leading up to Saturday's game with Rice.

LB Aiavion Edwards

C Kyle Fuller

LB Taylor Young

-Stephen Cook

Opposing Player spotlight: Rice QB Driphus Jackson
Maybe Cedar Hill product Driphus Jackson was just a little too early when it came to his Division I future. His high school Joey McGuire thinks so.

As far as the Rice football program is concerned, it discovered the secret first. The senior is coming off an 8-5 season and a Hawaii Bowl victory. Now, he’s hoping to take the Owls to the Conference USA championship.

After throwing for 2,842 yards and 24 TDs, Jackson has started quickly as the Owls are 2-1 going into Saturday’s game against Baylor at 2:00 p.m. in McLane Stadium. Through the first three games, he’s thrown for 635 yards and five touchdowns. That’s pretty impressive for someone who may or may not be 6-0. Nonetheless, he is a dual threat.

“If he was a high school quarterback now, his offer sheet would look a lot different,’’ McGuire said. “Guys like [Russell] Wilson and [Johnny] Manziel really changed everything for quarterbacks.

“Back then, programs were looking for the prototypical QB. But [Rice coach David] Baliff has a done a great job with him. He’s a great leader. When I looked at Driphus in 8th grade, I knew he was going to be our starting quarterback.’’

Of course, McGuire is biased. But he has a pretty good track record of understanding and developing talent and sending it to the Division I record. McGuire is convinced Jackson could play at the P5 level.

Beyond his ability, McGuire recalled the 45-42 loss at Old Dominion. Jackson suffered an injury to his non-throwing (left) shoulder but demanded to return to the game. He threw for 172 yards as Rice’s rally just fell short.

“He’s one of the toughest kids I’ve been around and one of the best leaders I’ve coached,’’ McGuire said. “I know he’s going to look at Saturday’s game as a great opportunity to show what he can do against the best competition.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the Big 12 games for Saturday, Sept. 26. All times are central. Kansas State, Iowa State and Oklahoma all have byes.

Kansas (0-2) at Rutgers (1-2, 0-1); 11:00 AM, High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway Township, N.J. (BTN): This is the first ever meeting between the two programs. KU is also making its first road trip. While the Kansas defense has been pretty poor, it just has to play opportunistic. Its three recovered fumbles against Memphis on Sept. 12 matched the most recoveries in a game since 2007.

Rice (2-1) at No. 4/5 Baylor (2-0); 2:00 PM, McLane Stadium, Waco (Fox Sports Net): All eyes will be on this Baylor offense and if it can find some consistency. Despite some turnover issues, the Bears do lead the nation in total offense (754.0 ypg) and are second points per game (61.0). Rice is coming off a solid 38-24 victory at North Texas in its Conference USA opener.

Maryland (2-1) at West Virginia (2-0); 2:00 PM, Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WVA (Fox Sports 1): This is the 52nd all-time meeting between these border rivals. The last time the Terrapins came to Morgantown (2013), they embarrassed the Mountaineers, 37-0. There is some optimism with WVA defense. It currently leads the Big 12 in total defense (298.0) and has a solid turnover margin (plus 5). However, it is last in sacks with one.

No. 2/3 TCU (3-0) at Texas Tech (3-0), 2:30 PM, AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (FOX): To call this payback, is an understatement. TCU won the 2014 meeting in Fort Worth, 82-27. Texas Tech has some newfound confidence with its defense under new defensive coordinator David Gibson. The Red Raiders have forced five turnovers and shut down Arkansas in the second half last week. The Horned Frogs are down eight defensive starters but do carry an electric offense led by QB Trevone Boykin (985 yards, 10 TDs) and WR Josh Doctson (17-326 3 TD). Tech leads the all-time series, 30-24-3.

No. 22/24 Oklahoma State (3-0) at Texas (1-2), 2:30, Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin (ESPN): Texas leads the all-time series, 24-5. The Cowboys are pretty much in the middle of the Big 12 standings in most team statistical categories. But Texas’ issues are glaring. The Longhorns are ninth in total defense (512.3) and last in total offense (363.3). QB Jerrod Heard has made progress taking over the offense. He’s passed for 494 yards and rushed for 247.
-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports releases its power rankings. Their rankings are determined by how they performed from the previous week. Agree or disagree, that’s what makes these interesting.
1. TCU – Gary Patterson likely doesn’t have any friends in the greater Waco area
2. Oklahoma – Baker Mayfield turning into a magician on the field
3. Baylor – The performance against Rice could set the tone for the rest of the year
4. Oklahoma State – Cowboys have produced the most turnovers in the Big 12 (6)
5. Texas Tech – Statement game against TCU awaits for the Red Raiders
6. Kansas State – Overall QB health is a concern for Bill Snyder
7. West Virginia – QB Skyler Howard quietly enjoying a strong start
8. Texas – The youth on this 2-deep roster going through a tough time
9. Iowa State – Cyclones experiencing health problems with their defense
10. Kansas – Jayhawks hope Scarlet Knights are distracted by the loss of their head coac
-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Baylor may have lost to Texas A&M for Cedar Hill linebacker Richard Moore, but the good news is that there’s another Moore in the pipeline. Dimitri Moore (6-3, 210) is playing on the outside and is in his first year to start. He already has an offer from Illinois. Moore suffered an elbow injury and is probably out a couple of more weeks.

>Confirmed late Thursday that Flower Mound Marcus 2016 defensive end Andrew Fitzgerald is no longer considering Baylor. However, I do believe this is a mutual thing where Baylor is probably looking at other alternatives. Look no further than how it moved with Micheal Johnson.

>Baylor will be the home team next week against Texas Tech. So the Bears are allowed to have recruits come to the game.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News