ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept, 19, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Football notes

Baylor coach Art Briles met with the media Thursday. While there wasn't a lot to report about, the notable part was that both wide receivers Corey Coleman (hamstring) and Antwan Goodley (quad) went through partial workouts and appear to be making good progress. Optimism remains high that the two will be ready for Iowa State on Sept. 27.

Also, wide receiver Clay Fuller (broken clavicle) will get an X-Ray on Monday to see if he will also be ready for Iowa State.

The interesting thing is if all three are cleared for play, what that would mean for KD Cannon because of his electric start. It's going to be hard to keep him off the field.

And if you're wondering, suspended defensive end Sam Ukwuachu continues to go through workouts off the practice field. He is not on the roster but a part of the program.

-SicEmSports

Good will gesture

Baylor coaches know they are going to have to make sure they stay in contact with Port Arthur Memorial RB Kameron Martin. As the Rivals 2016 250 prospect continues his season, his popularity rises.

"I've been hearing a lot from a lot of schools like LSU, Texas A&M and Florida State,'' Martin said of his phone call conversation with the Baylor coaches. "But I had a good meeting with the coach [Jeff] Lebby and [Carlton] Buckels. Coach Lebby said they just can't wait for me to get to Baylor and can't wait to see me a part of their offense because they know I'd be a great fit.''

There is a long time between now and signing day 2016. Martin is off to a good start rushing for 276 yards through the first three games. But he's splitting carries with Texas Tech commit Corey Dauphine. Dauphine also met with Baylor coaches on Thursday. But at this point, it doesn't sound like there is anything going to suggest that Dauphine would be switching his commitment. If there is any good news in this is that Dauphine was willing to meet with the Baylor coaches.

We do know Baylor coaches probably won't give up on Dauphine just yet.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Agim impressed with Baylor defensive line

Hope (AR) 2016 defensive end McTelvin Agim spoke with Baylor assistant Chris Achuff earlier this week and said he had a solid discussion with the Baylor defensive assistant.

Agim, who attended the Baylor camp June 7 in Marshall, continues to express his interest in Baylor. And it didn't matter that his friend Davion Hall is currently with the Bears.

"They have a good team and know how to win. I like them a lot,'' Agim said. "I watched [Shawn Oakman a lot. The man is a beast.''

The No. 78 player in the Rivals 250, Agim said he still plans to visit Baylor for one of its home games. He just hasn't figured out which one. But he said that if it were to work out and he came to Baylor, he probably would occupy the spot where Oakman is.

"He's a really good player,'' Agim said. "I like what Baylor is doing.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

The mystery at Blinn

Earlier on Thursday, we received a tip that Baylor had offered Blinn college wide receiver DeDe Westbrook. First of all, we found that very strange because with the coaching staff taking a small class, there was the likelihood that Baylor was going to take only one wide receiver in this class.

And Baylor doesn't take JUCO wide receivers. The staff typically likes to build the wide receivers when they arrive as freshmen. Look no further than KD Cannon who leads the nation with 471 receiving yards.

We checked with Blinn coach Keith Thomas who said he had not heard anything where Baylor had offered Westbrook. However, Westbrook may be turning some heads with his performance so far. The 2015 recruit (6-1, 170) already has 559 receiving yards on 20 receptions in three games. That's a crazy 186 yards per game average. He also has five touchdowns.

As a precaution, we checked to see if everything with Stricklin's academic situation was in good and were led to believe it was. We'll let you know if anything comes of this.

But in an unrelated matter, one-time Baylor signee Kyle Fulks has sent off transcripts to the Baylor track coaching staff. We're hearing that an official visit could be in the future. Again, if this were to come together, it would seem that Fulks would sign for track and then it would be determined if Baylor football wants to get involved.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Houston rock solid with Baylor

An offer from Big 12 rival Oklahoma State (as well as another from New Mexico State) have done nothing to change Austin St. Michael's DB Jameson Houston's commitment to Baylor. Asked about that OSU offer, Houston cut me off before I could even finish my question.

"No, I'm going to stick with Baylor," he told me.

That won't stop Baylor from making sure they keep the cornerback in the fold. Houston said Baylor DC Phil Bennett will be at his game tonight, along with assistants Carlton Buckels and Brian Norwood.

"It pushes me more towards Baylor, which already was my top choice anyway," he said. "It shows me that they really want me to come and play for their program."

Perhaps another big game -- he's already passed the 400-yard mark offensively and has scored defensive and special teams touchdowns -- will convince the Baylor coaches Houston will be ready to play as a true freshman in 2015. That's one of his goals.

"I'm really excited about playing for Baylor," he said, "and hopefully I'll get to play some next year. They told me for sure I'd have a chance on kick and punt returns when I get there."
-Jake Shaw

Mitchell closer to visit

Rockdale 2015 shooting guard Wendell Mitchell said he is looking at taking his official visit to Baylor in mid-October. Mitchell recently had an inhome visit Baylor head coach Scott Drew.

"Oh, it went great,'' Mitchell said. "I have a great relationship with Coach Drew and the Baylor staff.''

In August, Mitchell lined Baylor up as one of his five finalists along with SMU, Texas Tech, Kansas State and Auburn. If Mitchell is looking to do his visit in mid-October odds are it will be Oct. 11 when the football team plays host to TCU. Plus, that's the same weekend recent commit Jake Lindsey would be taking his official visit. Of course, Baylor already has two guards to this class between Lindsey and King McClure.

-Kevin Lonnquist

What to make of Dodge

After the report broke earlier on Thursday that Cedar Hill wide receiver Damarkus Lodge had de-committed from Texas A&M, Cedar Hill coach Joey McGuire tweeted that Lodge had not yet spoken anyone from the Texas A&M staff, his recruiter David Beaty or head coach Kevin Sumlin.

Based on that and a couple of other people that we've spoken with, it doesn't look like a full de-commitment but one of those situations where Lodge is going to keep his options open. Obviously, this means that Baylor can jump back into this to some extent but of a cautionary tone. If Lodge meets with the A&M coaches and walks away, then that's a game changer. The other thing is that if Lodge re-open his commitment as an uncommitted player, then it would fall back to Baylor pursuing the best players available.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - Frosh WR KD Cannon leads the nation in receiving yardage (471)

2. Oklahoma - QB Trevor Knight demonstrating he's the real thing

3. Kansas State - Too many turnovers in the 20-14 loss to Auburn

4. Oklahoma State - Mike Gundy's young team making progress

5. West Virginia - Trips to Morgantown will be even tougher than before

6. TCU - Steady defensive play but the QB Trevone Boykin needs accuracy

7. Texas - Praying for a happy and healthy life for QB David Ash who stopped playing (concussion)

8. Texas Tech - DC Mark Wellerstedt gone; DC instability issues resume

9. Iowa State - Big win at Iowa; Ames now about to explode as Baylor arrives Sept. 27

10. Kansas - If the Jayhawks struggle with Central Michigan…..

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. It's a light week as Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech and TCU all have byes.

No. 5/5 Auburn 20, No. 20/20 Kansas State 14 - Final

The skinny: In a nationally televised Thursday night game, this became a contest of missed opportunities for the Wildcats (2-1). They had eight possessions in Auburn territory and came away with only two touchdowns. They also uncharacteristically turned it over three times, twice in the Red Zone including an interception in the end zone off a deflection. They also missed three field goals. Auburn's defense also shut down KSU's running game, holding the Wildcats to only 40 yards on 30 attempts. Auburn (3-0) quarterback Nick Marshall threw for 231 yards and two touchdowns.

Central Michigan (2-1) at Kansas (1-1)

2:30 p.m. Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (Jayhawk HD TV)

The skinny: The Chippewas had an impressive win over an awful Purdue squad (38-17) but then got embarrassed at home by Syracuse (40-3). Senior RB Thomas Rawls is no longer a reserve and is the go-to man for the running game. Kansas' running game between De'Andre Mann and Corey Avery has looked respectable. The two have combined for nearly 400 yards. This offense, though, needs play out of the passing game from QB Montell Cozart.

No. 4/4 Oklahoma (3-0) at West Virginia (2-1)

7:00 p.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WVA (FOX)

The skinny: Going to Morgantown will be no easy task. The Sooners escaped in 2012, 50-49. QB Trevor Knight continues to play at a high level throwing 860 yards. But this game could be decided in who can't run it. The Sooners are missing leading rusher Keith Ford (leg) while West Virginia's Rushel Smith is banged up from the 40-37 win over Maryland and may not be at 100 percent.

-SicEmSports

Emptying the notebook

>Waco Midway S Kahlil Haughton said the official visit he might be looking at with Baylor could be Nov. 22 when the Bears play Oklahoma State. If it's not then, he said that the visit, though, would come during the football season. Haughton, though, also wasn't distracted by the recent change at Texas Tech defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt abruptly "resigned" at Texas Tech. He said he has a good relationship with other coaches.

>The first workout for the men's basketball team is Oct. 3. Yes, it's getting closer.

>Kennedale 2017 linebacker Baron Browning is out indefinitely with fractured ankle and shoulder injury. Visits to the doctor next week could determine is he will miss the remainder of the season.
>Baylor assistant Brian Norwood was among the coaches on hand at McLane Stadium to watch the two Cibolo Steele 2016 prospects, DE Mark Jackson and RB Bryson Denley, against DeSoto. Was told DeSoto held Jackson in check in the first half until it became a blitz fest in the second half. DeSoto won 29-24.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News