ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 9, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE:
Go check out our home page picture that have designed to preview the matchup between Raleigh Texada and Chris Miller.

Where Diesch stands
Trophy Club (Texas) Byron Nelson three-star offensive tackle Kellen Diesch committed to Arkansas in June, but last Tuesday he decided to open things back up. He confirmed with SicEm Sports this week that it was the right move.

"I've been talking about it with my family for a while now," Said DIesch. "Arkansas is a great school, but I just don't know if it's the right school for me. I decided to take a step back and look at things"

The 6-foot-7, 270-pound prospect plays a little bit of everything, but most schools see him playing offensive tackle. There's a lot of upside with Diesch and schools have not let up on his recruitment.

"Florida hit me up on Tuesday, Mississippi State and schools that offered me really early," Diesch said. "Texas A&M, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Baylor have probably recruited me the hardest."

Last weekend Diesch was at AT&T Stadium as Baylor's guest for Saturday's game against Texas Tech.

"It was crazy," Diesch said. "There was a lot of offense. It would really be fun to be a part of that program."

This weekend Diesch will be taking an official visit to Tennessee.

"I heard the game day atmosphere was crazy with the Vol walk and everything," said Diesch. "It's going to be a fun experience."

DIesch is planning on a couple more official visits as well.

"Texas A&M, maybe USC and Baylor," said Diesch. "That's all I really have planned right now."

Diesch said he is looking for a school where he fits in with the program and the coaching staff. He is also looking to major in business.

"Arkansas had a really good business program and so does A&M," said Diesch.

Diesch said Arkansas will still be in the picture.

"Arkansas was understanding, because I have been looking around for a little bit," said Diesch.
-Courtney Roland

Worthy Adversaries
They will be patrolling a Baylor secondary in the near future. But on Friday, 2016 secondary commits Raleigh Texada and Chris Miller will be on opposite sidelines.

Texada and Frisco Centennial face Miller and Frisco Lone Star at 7:00 p.m. Friday at Toyota Stadium in Frisco. This will be the last meeting of these two squaring off against each other in a little grudge match that dates back to their middle school days.

Both teams are also off to great starts. Lone Star is 6-0 for the first time in school history. Centennial is 5-1 and has won its last five after dropping the opener to Highland Park.

“Really, I’m just trying to focus on stopping their offense,’’ Texada said. “I’ll be at corner and safety. But it’s pretty cool that we will be playing each other again. We’ve talked a little bit about it.’’

There’s a chance the two could oppose each other on the field. Texada has played some on offense. He’s been split out at wide receiver and been used on some jet sweeps. So Miller will have to be ready for him.

“He is a great competitor,’’ Miller said. “And with his speed when the ball is in his hands or thrown around him, he is a big play waiting to happen.’’

It’s not unprecedented for Baylor commits to oppose each other at some point during the high school football season. In 2014, KD Cannon (Mount Pleasant) and Davion Hall (Texarkana Liberty-Eylau) faced each other.

Miller and Texada are off to solid starts this year. Miller has collected 48 tackles and been involved in four turnovers (three forced fumbles and one interception). Texada has done the same with two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) and two forced fumbles. Each has broken up four passes.

The idea for them when they come to Baylor is that Miller will stay at safety. Texada will be a cornerback.

“He’s physical and comes down hill hard at safety,’’ Texada said. “We have talked about getting down to Baylor and working hard when it comes to that point. This offseason, we’re going to work hard tomorrow.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Urquidez’s role expanding
Judging by Copperas Cove’s scores – the Bulldogs have allowed an average of 47.2 points per game – the coaching staff needed some bulk on the defensive line.

Head coach Jack Welch and his staff turned to a pretty good source to lend a hand in 2016 offensive tackle and Baylor commit J.P. Urquidez. For the past two games, Urquidez has lined up at defensive tackle. This is going to last for the remainder of the season, Urquidez said.

“I love it,’’ Urquidez said. “It’s pretty situational. When they need me, I’ll be there.’’

Well, it’s safe to say that Urquidez is taking advantage of his situations. Through his first two games – 15 total snaps – he’s collected six tackles and two others that went for loss. It may or may not be coincidence, but the Dogs have played better since the move. They lost at Killeen, 17-14, but picked up their first win of the year when they beat Belton, 59-52. Copperas Cove continues its season Friday against Killeen Ellison.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball notes
>With the football team out of town, we’re not expecting any official or unofficial visits this weekend. We can tell you that nothing definitive has been set up with Elev8 guard and Rivals150 No. 101 prospect Kobie Eubanks for an official visit as of yet.

>Baylor is expecting to have at least one official visit in Indian Hills C.C. small forward Nuni Omot for weekend of Oct. 17. Omot (6-8, 200) has offers from Cincinnati and Colorado State. Omot visited Colorado State two weeks ago. And you can never discount the idea of unofficial visitors for that weekend.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Checking on 2017
We occasionally will give you statistical updates on Baylor 2017 class that has seven commits. There are no reports for Kennedale LB Baron Browning, Stafford safety Jalen Pitre and Waco La Vega tight end Kedrick James.

>San Antonio Reagan QB Kellen Mond has thrown for 973 yards and 12 TDs as Reagan is 6-0. Mond has completed 54 percent of his passes and thrown four interceptions. He’s also rushed for 376 yards and four more scores.

>Stafford WR Hezekiah Jones has been limited by a sprained ankle so his receiving numbers are a little skewed at 12-181 and 1 TD. Still, that’s 15.1 yards per reception.

>Houston St. Thomas WR Jhamon Ausbon is also enjoying a solid start. St. Thomas doesn’t throw it a lot (733 yards). So far, Ausbon is 13-264 and two touchdowns. He’s averaging 20.3 yards per reception.

>Houston Bellaire safety Donovan Stiner has had a big start with 32 tackles, six tackles for loss, a fumble recovery that went for a touchdown and another forced fumble.
-Kevin Lonnquist

VIDEO: Baylor talk

Baylor NB Travon Blanchard, OL Spencer Drango and QB Seth Russell gave some perspective about the season and Saturday's game at Kansas.

NB Travon Blanchard

OT Spencer Drango

QB Seth Russell

-Stephen Cook

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the Big 12 games for Saturday Oct. 10. All times are central and are listed in alphabetical order. Baylor’s game at Kansas will not be listed because of the preview that will be coming out later on Friday. All 10 teams are in action.

No. 10 Oklahoma (4-0, 1-0) vs. Texas (1-4, 0-2); 11:00 a.m. Cotton Bowl, Dallas (ABC) – Series: Texas leads, 60-44-5 – Two programs going in different directions. The Sooners have momentum. The Longhorns have locker room issues and issues on offense. This could be Texas’ last stand in terms of trying to make something out of its season. The scheme under new Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley may have some influence but the Sooners running game isn’t nearly as effective. They are 7th in the league at 163.5 yards per game.

Iowa State (2-2, 1-0) at Texas Tech (3-2, 0-2); 2:30 p.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (Fox Sports Net) – Series: Texas Tech leads, 10-3 – Pretty pivotal game for the Red Raiders who should feel a little better about themselves following their run against Arkansas, TCU and Baylor. Their defense will be under pressure as Iowa State is running the ball better recently. But the Cyclones and their No. 3 defense (343.5) will be tested by Tech’s explosive offense.

No. 19/21 Oklahoma State (5-0, 2-0) at West Virginia (3-1, 0-1); 6:00 p.m. Milan Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, West Virginia (ESPN2) – Series: West Virginia leads, 4-2 – Last year’s West Virginia 34-10 victory was shocking because that game became a runaway in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma State should be at full strength with the running game this week. So far, the Cowboys have the Big 12’s top defense at 310 yards per game.

No. 2/2 TCU (5-0, 2-0) at Kansas State (3-1, 0-1); 6:30 p.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (FOX) – Series: Tied, 2-2 – For the Wildcats to win this, they are going to have to control the clock and induce TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin into committing some turnovers. Boykin is interception free is his last two starts. Despite their injuries, the Horned Frogs still have collected 13 sacks and held opponents to 30 percent on 3rd down.
-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports releases its power rankings. Their rankings are determined by how teams performed from the previous week. Agree or disagree, that’s what makes these interesting.
1. Baylor – There was some guy preaching from the pulpit on Monday
2. TCU – Horned Frogs regaining health and looking dominant
3. Oklahoma – Sooners must run the football better to be a factor in the Big 12 race
4. Oklahoma State – Cowboys are the 2nd least penalized team in the conference
5. West Virginia – Secondary now has to find solutions with the loss of Karl Joseph
6. Kansas State – Wildcats have scored on 21 of 23 possessions in the red zone
7. Texas Tech – Brutal stretch is over; Red Raiders have a chance to get some wins
8. Iowa State – Freshman defensive back Brian Peavy tied for league lead in passes defended (6).
9. Texas – Friction in the locker room and 1-4 for the first time since 1956
10. Kansas – For this season, success will have to be measured differently
- Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>On Thursday, USA Today released its salaries for all of the coaches across the country for 2015. For Baylor’s Art Briles, he’s earning $4,238,573. With Baylor being a private school, bonus compensation is not included.

>Be sure and check on details for the Oct.24 game against Iowa State. Baylor is calling for striping McLane Stadium. Designated sections will be asked to wear either green or gold.

>If we ever hear about baseball commits, we’ll pass along. And we have one. We were tipped that Steve Rodriguez’s program picked up a commit from RHP Andrew Davis from Frisco Wakeland. In 2014, Davis went 3-2 with a 3.57 ERA. He is a power arm as he recorded 42 strikeouts in 35 1/3 innings.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News