ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 31, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: It's hit social media but there's probably the likelihood that Baylor's men's basketball team will play SMU in one of those unreportable scrimmages. It's expected to happen on Saturday. Location is unknown. Should the scrimmage come off, we'll try and get you some word as to what happened. Baylor is predicted 6th in the Big 12 and was unranked in the preseason coaches poll. SMU is predicted second in the American Athletic Conference and ranked No. 22 in the coaches poll.

Baylor-Kansas visitors

Here are the visitors who have confirmed to SicEmSports they plan to attend Saturday's game at McLane Stadium. As always, this is subject to change.

>Kahlil Haughton, S, Waco Midway (2015 - Baylor offer - official visit)

>Cairo Attaway, DB, Waco Midway (2016 - Baylor interest)>Kameron Martin, RB, PA Memorial (2016 - Baylor commit)

>J.P. Urquidez, OT, DeMatha Catholic (MD) (2016 - Baylor offer)

>Mark Jackson, DE, Cibolo Steele (2016 - Baylor offer)

>Baron Browning, LB, Kennedale (2017 - Baylor offer)

>Kris Boyd, DB, Gilmer (2015 - Baylor offer)

>Blake Lynch, Ath, Gilmer (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Tony Nicholson, Ath, South Grand Prairie (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (2016 - Baylor commit)

>Chris Robison, QB, Mesquite Horn (2017 - Baylor interest)

>Obi Eboh, S, Southlake Carroll (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Travis Bruffy, OL, Fort Bend Ridge Point (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Eric Ogo, LB, Richmond Foster (2015 - Baylor interest)

>Brandon Bowen, DE/WR, Trophy Club Byron Nelson (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Dontavious Jackson, LB, Alief Elsik (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Chad President, QB, Temple (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Jameson Houston, DB, Austin St. Michaels (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Zach Hall, Ath, Tyler Lee (2016 - Baylor interest - he's a maybe)

>Tren'Davian Dickson, WR, Navasota (2016 - Baylor commit)

>Eric Cuffee, DB, Waco (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Parrish Cobb, DB, Waco La Vega (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Jeffrey McCulloch, LB, Aldine Davis (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Drew Galitz, P/PK, Rowlett (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (2015 - Baylor commit)

Note I:
Watch how this goes with Eric Ogo. Baylor is still looking at options for LB. He's not big at 6-0, 210 but he is some the same mold of Taylor Young. Ogo is just taller. Ogo's only two Division I offers are from Louisiana-Lafayette and New Mexico State. He has five other FCS offers. But sometimes, Baylor likes the under the radar prospect. Perhaps Baylor offers.

Note II:
Obviously, Kris Boyd's appearance is really important. He's tweeted a different approach to Baylor. It would be unlikely that he commits. However, his interest toward Baylor is shifting because the Bears are having a good season, while Texas and Texas A&M are struggling.

Hybrid OLB/DE expecting a Baylor offer

Every Sunday, Jeffrey McCulloch makes the rounds. He calls all the coaches at each program who are recruiting him to check in. That list includes Baylor LB coach Jim Gush, even though Baylor hasn't offered the 2016 Aldine Davis athlete yet.

He thinks it will come soon.

"As soon as they wrap up the 2015 class," McCulloch said, he expects Baylor to offer. The Bears definitely have his interest.

He camped at Baylor in the summer and will return this Saturday for the Kansas game. He's seen Baylor play in person already -- at the Texas game, where he said Baylor was "fast and physical" -- but he's looking forward to getting a better feel for Baylor's campus.

"With Baylor, I know they they have great facilities, so I want to see those first," he said. "Coach Gush will probably guide me around the campus and then tell me how they would plan to use me."

Who knows, an offer might even come this weekend. It wouldn't be a big surprise. Texas, OU, Duke, Vanderbilt and North Texas have already offered him. A huge handful of other programs, from LSU to Georgia, are showing major interest as well.

I'll be in touch with McClulloch after his trip this weekend and during the process. He plans to make his decision during his senior season in 2015, so don't look for any decision soon.
-Jake Shaw

Where's there is smoke…

When he committed to Baylor back in June, Pflugerville Hendrickson 2016 DB Keshawn Somerville didn't seem convincing that he was passionate about his pledge to the Bears.

Somerville said on Wednesday he didn't plan on attending Baylor's Homecoming game against Kansas. However, he was in Fort Worth for TCU's previous two home games against Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

When asked about any potential to de-commit, Somerville said, "Not true at all.'' However, a source familiar with the situation believes it may only be a matter of time before Somerville de-commits and switches to TCU.

As we have mentioned, we will continue to monitor this fluid situation. Obviously, there's enough there that the Baylor coaches are going to have to go into full mode in order to try and keep Somerville.

Baylor suffered a de-commitment this past Sunday when Keller Fossil Ridge safety Montrel Wilson decided to re-open his commitment. It appears TCU could be his leading school.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Haughton ready for official

It took some serious discussions and convincing but Waco Midway safety Kahlil Haughton is going to take his official visit to Baylor this weekend.

Haughton has taken about a dozen unofficial visits to the Baylor campus. However, there was some added importance to this visit because it comes in a more formal setting. He has already taken official visits Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arkansas. His final official visit will be Nov. 15 to Texas Tech.

"Mainly, it's just a chance to get a better feel for the student body and social life around campus,'' Haughton said. "But I'm expecting it to be a lot of fun.''

Haughton had previously announced that he was going to make his choice on Aug. 8. However, he decided to wait and take his officials before making his selection. It's somewhat of an old-school approach. But given his ability, those programs are more than willing to wait.

"I just want to see the preparation that happens before a game,'' Haughton said of Baylor. "But [I'm glad I waited to announce]. With people on campus and school also going on you get a better idea of what it's like to be a student-athlete at the schools as well as seeing where programs are heading into the season.''

An announcement is expected following Midway's season. Midway is 8-0 and has already wrapped up a playoff berth. Ironically, Districts 11-5A and 12-5A will play their bi-district playoff games at McLane Stadium Nov. 13-15. Dates and matchups will be set later.

-Kevin Lonnquist

It's all about Benjamin

It's really no secret that running backs can flourish in Baylor's offense. Look at the current Big 12 stats and you'll see that the Bears lead the conference in rushing at 229 yards per game.

That gets the attention of running backs everywhere including Wylie East 2017 standout Eno Benjamin.

The sophomore has the program in the playoffs and has already surpassed 1,000 yards (1,095, 17 TD) before Friday's game at Denison.

"My freshman year I was just an athlete making plays,'' Benjamin said. "But this year, not only am I using my athleticism, but I am developing my skills. Confidence is a big role in this.''

Benjamin (5-10, 187) attended Baylor's satellite camp at Lake Highlands in June and went to the TCU game on Oct. 11. He can't attend this weekend's game. However, he plans to show up for the Nov. 22 meeting with Oklahoma State - depending on what Wylie East is doing in the postseason.

If you asked about his style, he calls himself a mix between Darren Sproles and Marshawn Lynch. He will take on tacklers but has the wizardry to make a move up the field. While he's not featured in the passing game, he's been effective. He's averaged 19 yards in his five receptions.

Benjamin definitely has interest in Baylor. And the feeling is mutual. Should Baylor offer, look for it to be after signing day 2015.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Kansas State - Running game combination between Robinson and Jones working well

2. TCU - QB Trevone Boykin about to enter Heisman Trophy picture

3. Baylor - All three RBs - Chafin, Jefferson and Linwood - are healthy

4. West Virginia - Kevin White (72-1047 8TD) is the best WR in college football

5. Oklahoma - RB Keith Ford (foot) should be ready to go

6. Oklahoma State - Stop Tyreek Hill and you stop the Cowboys' offense

7. Texas - Offense goes from 48 points in one week to 0 the next

8. Texas Tech - Red Raiders hoping playing Texas summons something different

9. Iowa State - A week off to play Oklahoma; that may not mean anything

10. Kansas - Facing a major mismatch at Baylor this weekend

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. Another weekend of league action looms for the final Saturday of October. All 10 teams are in action. The order runs according to game times. With the College Football rankings released, we are now using those.

No. 18 Oklahoma (5-2, 2-2) at Iowa State (2-5, 0-4)

11:00 a.m. Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: This is one of the most lopsided series in the history of college football. In 78 all-time meetings, the Sooners lead 71-5-2. It's really hard to understand how one side has taken the other to woodshed so many times. Oklahoma is looking for redemption after losing at home to Kansas State, 31-30. QB Trevor Knight is going through ups and downs.

No. 7 TCU (6-1, 3-1) at No. 20 West Virginia (6-2, 4-1)

2:30 p.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WV (ABC/ESPN)

The skinny: A pivotal game in the Big 12 race. A win for the Horned Frogs puts them on the fast track to winning the title. A Mountaineer win puts them in the same position and likely would end TCU's playoff hopes. These teams are running second and third in the league in total offense and fourth and fifth in total defense. This is a game where the final score could be in the 40s unless the predicted nasty weather impacts it.

Kansas (2-5, 0-4) at No. 13 Baylor (6-1, 3-1)

3:00 p.m. McLane Stadium, Waco (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: Two weeks have passed since Baylor suffered a tough 41-27 setback at West Virginia. QB Bryce Petty finished October completing only 45 percent of his passes. So with the calendar flipping to November, he can put that month behind him. With RBs Johnny Jefferson and Devin Chafin healthy, Baylor's trio of running backs is finally going to be available to play at the same time for the first time all season. It's Homecoming for the Bears. Kansas is just looking for consistency anywhere. Michael Cummings has been stable as the Jayhawks new starting QB.

Texas (3-5, 2-3) at Texas Tech (3-5, 1-4)

6:30 p.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: It's always an adventure when the Longhorns go to Lubbock. The bizarre is always a part of the proceedings. Texas' running game has been a disaster at 9th in the Big 12 at 137.6 ypg because of injuries on the offensive line. Texas Tech has allowed the most opponent first downs than anyone in the conference at 215. The loser is on life support to keep bowl hopes alive. But the winner doesn't necessarily have an easy road to keep its bowl hopes either.

Oklahoma State (5-3, 3-2) at No. 9 Kansas State (6-1, 4-0)

7:00 p.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (ABC)

The skinny: Without question, the Cowboys offense is struggling scoring 19 points in the last two games. And it won't get any easier going up to Manhattan. What impact could true freshman QB Mason Rudolph make? We'll see if he plays. Kansas State has a difficult road as three of its final five games are on the road, at TCU, at West Virginia and at Baylor. The Wildcats are the best team in the league on 3rd down. They are converting 50.5 percent of their attempts (47-93).-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Rockdale G Wendell Mitchell, who committed to Baylor on Oct. 23 switched his official visit to Nov. 22 instead of this coming weekend. Yes, that's odd because he is expected to sign his national letter of intent on Nov. 12. So his official visit actually occurs after he signs.

>Dematha Catholic (MD) 2016 offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez could be close to making a commitment decision. In case you missed the note, Urquidez may be delivering some "news" (guess you call it commitment news) to the staff on Saturday when the Bears play Kansas. Urquidez has had this trip planned for about a month. The native of Copperas Cove moved to the East Coast in June because of a family job change. "I'm looking forward to seeing everyone,'' Urquidez said. In July, Urquidez was about to announce a decision between Baylor and Texas but decided to hold off.

>For as much as Baylor has not really paid much attention to Dallas Skyline LB Anthony Wheeler, he's still interested in the Bears. He won't be in Waco Saturday, but he's catching Baylor in Norman on Nov. 8 when he's a guest of Oklahoma. "I like Baylor still and that is why I am going to watch them play OU,'' Wheeler said. "I also like OU and want to see them go head to head.''

>At this point, it's hard to say if Waco Midway LB Lenoy Jones will come to Baylor's game against Kansas. Jones and the Baylor coaching staff but there appeared to be some disappointment when Baylor didn't offer after the Oct. 11 game against TCU. Of course, Baylor's program has to compete and secure as many top players as it can to remain a Big 12 contender. But there are other LBs where Baylor wants to see where it stands including Mesquite Poteet Malik Jefferson. Baylor LB coach Jim Gush watched Jefferson last week.

>Temple QB Chad President (right knee) said he hopes to receive the results of his MRI on Friday. The injury doesn't appear serious, but the results will be more definite….also, Longview RB JaMaycal Hasty (back) is also awaiting results from an MRI later this week to determine if he can play at all in 2014.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News