ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 25, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

Lynch had to wait a day

Blake Lynch had it all planned out. After Troup played its game against Tatum Friday Oct. 18, he decided he would give his verbal commitment to Baylor on Saturday.

Then, the accident happened.

Lynch (6-3, 200) broke his right arm in the second half while on defense. A trip to the hospital to get the arm immobilized followed by allowing the shock of the injury wear off took about a day. But the 2015 athlete gave his commitment to Baylor Sunday and became the third member of the class. He's also the second four-star recruit along with Temple's Chad President.

"I've been pretty sure about this for awhile,'' Lynch said. "I know that this has been the right thing to do. It's definitely a weight off my shoulders. Baylor had a pretty good idea it was coming.''

As Troup's dual-threat quarterback he guided his ballclub to 5-2 record and tallied 28 total touchdowns. That's four per game if you're doing the math. That's what 4.46 speed will do for you.

Lynch's connections with Baylor began in the spring, accelerated in the summer when he went to the July 19 camp and apparently finalized with the unofficial visit for the UL-Monroe game on Sept. 21.

There's no doubt that he brings versatility. Lynch said he's open to playing wide receiver or playing in secondary.

"Whatever gets me on the field the fast,'' he said. "If the coaches keep me on the offensive side, that's fine.''

Lynch had surgery on Wednesday in which a plate and several screws were inserted. He broke both the radius and ulna - meaning that it was a severe break.

Still, he's expected to make a full recovery. But he plans on trying to catch Baylor for the Nov. 7 against Oklahoma, Nov. 16 against Texas Tech and Dec. 7 in the Floyd Casey finale against Texas.

"It means a lot to commit,'' Lynch said, "because it showed me hard work pays off. Playing JV as a freshman was an honor and on the varsity as a sophomore were blessings.''

--Kevin Lonnquist

JUCO linebacker talks Baylor

Recently, Garden City Community College's Dvonta Derricott liked what he saw so much from Baylor, he sent out a tweet asking Baylor to re-recruit him. He had been holding an offer for a couple of months.

But he had a couple of social media talks with linebackers coach Jim Gush. While he's committed to Kansas State, Derricott said he considers it soft. He wants to set up an official visit to Baylor in January. The Richmond, VA native is a May graduate.

While GCCC may not make the playoffs, he's had a strong year with about 78 tackles, four interceptions including one for a touchdown and three forced fumbles. He's definitely been paying attention to what Baylor has been doing on defense.

"I like all the stuff they're doing with their linebackers,'' Derricott said. "Baylor is looking at me as an outside linebacker. You can see how much Eddie Lackey has improved. They look like they're playing the right people in their 4-2-5.''

As for his game?

"I think I shoot the gaps really well,'' he said. "Right now, I'm not trying to be cocky but I don't know where I have a weakness.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

QB Evaluation: Justin Northwest Jesse Drummer

Your publisher had a chance to watch Justin Northwest 2015 quarterback Jesse Drummer on Thursday night against Keller Timber Creek.

He's a recruit Baylor and other Division I schools are just getting to know. He returned to Texas from Illinois in January and participated in the Rivals 250 underclassmen challenge this past July in DeSoto.

In Northwest's 49-10 victory in which the running game controlled things, Drummer (6-2, 210) went 6-of-10 for 108 yards including a 31-yard touchdown pass and one interception. On the TD pass, Drummer did a nice job of splitting the coverage and laying it into his receiver on a seam route. On the interception, it was a tad underthrown as the ball went to the sideline.

But he has that build that reminds me of Nick Florence and Bryce Petty. He still has a lot to learn about the position. For the year, he's completed 67 percent of his passes for 1,634 yards with 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

"I like Baylor a lot, and I'm following,'' Drummer said. "They score a bunch of points. I've talked to them in the last couple of weeks. I was supposed to come to the West Virginia game but there was a huge accident on I-35 and we were stuck on the highway for two hours. I want to get back.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

X-man cometh

Even Shawn Bell likes to be a fan when it comes to defensive end Xavier Jones' huge season.

Through seven games, Jones has 13 tackles for loss, 10 QB hurries and three sacks. He was Magnolia West's defensive player of the game in the 21-6 victory over Huntsville. The defense has surrendered only 25 points over the last four games.

At 6-3, 215, Jones offers the build why Baylor liked him and secured his 2014 commitment. The Bears' coaching staff tends to recruit lighter defensive ends so they can fill them out in their strength program.

"He just plays with so much fire and tenacity,'' Bell said. "He's got the biggest motor. Literally, he never stops. Teams are running away from him. But they are having a tough time and have to adjust quicker.''

And Jones is healthy.

In 2012, Jones dealt with a knee injury that kept him off the practice field during the week just so the staff could have him available for Friday.

Two things changed for Jones' recruit within the last two years. He gained about 30 pounds from 170 to 200 and didn't add any fat. Also, his first step is just natural.

"He lives in the weight room,'' Bell said. "His work ethic is unbelievable. We have high expectations for him. You never know about a player if he commits before his senior year and what you're going to get from him. But he's leading us.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball notables

>Initial reports indicated that point guard Allerik Freeman (hand) could be outs through the Maui tournament in late November. However, Baylor may have a better idea where he is by early November. We'll see about Maui.

>Strength and agility continue to be at the forefront with center Isaiah Austin (shoulder). There is no longer any discomfort and he has been active, we understand.

>In Freeman's absence, JUCO point guard Kenny Chery should see the majority of the playing time. Early indications are that he's handling the offense pretty well.

>And you're weekly check on Denver transfer on Royce O'Neale continues. No ruling has been made on his hardship waiver.

>Baylor 2014 targets Chicago center Jahlil Okafor, the No. 1 player in the Rivals 150, and greater Minneapolis point guard Tyus Jones, the No. 5 overall player, make their final official visits this weekend at Duke. It's expected those two, who have said they will play together in college, will announce their decision and sign in November.

>With Baylor offering Plano West 2015 forward D.J. Hogg, the No. 49 2015 player in the country by Rivals, it signals that the Bears staff wants to have a little more versatility with the position.

-SicEmSports

Bell smiles at alma mater

It's hard to believe that former Baylor quarterback Shawn Bell has been off campus for seven years. He played for Baylor between 2003-06. He also enjoyed a strong career throwing for 5,666 yards and 38 touchdowns.

While Baylor never made a bowl game, Bell remembers where he was the day Baylor hired Art Briles in 2007. Bell is now the head coach at Magnolia West.

"I was at Round Rock Stony Point and I had heard it through the grapevine,'' Bell said. "I've known coach Briles since 7th grade. I just thought, 'let's go.''

Bell, a China Springs native, remembers when Briles was at Stephenville so he understands the magnetism that Briles appears to have with his players.

"Guys love to play for him. He's a player's coach,'' Bell said. "He can relate to you. He's got a dynamic personality. And he's genuine. When he talks to you, he wants to know about you more than football. If you live that kind of life, you're going to be rewarded.

"I always thought it was possible for Baylor to turn the corner. But it was going to take that dynamic leader. That's what he is and that's what it takes. It's great to see things going so well there.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. There are no byes this week.

No. 19 Oklahoma State (5-1, 2-1) at Iowa State (1-5, 0-3)

Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA 11:00 a.m. (FOX Sports Net)

The skinny: The Cowboys remember what happened the last time they went to Ames in 2011. They lost in overtime and an opportunity to play for a national championship. They struggled last week against TCU with four turnovers and using both J.W. Walsh and Clint Chelf. The Cyclones were shell shocked at Baylor last week and must rebound. Their calling card running game was shut down. You could see another quarterback rotation between Sam B. Richardson and Grant Rohach.

No. 10 Texas Tech (7-0, 4-0) at No. 15 Oklahoma (6-1, 3-1)

Owen Field, Norman, OK, 2:30 p.m. (FOX)

The skinny: Arguably the best challenge for the Red Raiders who are finishing consecutive conference roadtrips. It appears that QB Davis Webb has the offense so things seem to be settling for the Red Raiders. Sooner QB Blake Bell wasn't very impressive against Kansas last week. He'll have to be focused because Tech's defense is third in the conference with 18 sacks.

West Virginia (3-4, 1-3) at Kansas State (2-4, 0-3)

Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS 2:45 p.m. (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: A game of desperation for both teams who need to find wins to become bowl eligible. The Mountaineers are going with Clint Trickett as their starting quarterback. He's had the last two starts against Baylor and Texas Tech. Kansas State may still run the QB rotation between Daniel Sams and Jake Waters. It's unknown the status of WRs Tyler Lockett and Tremaine Thompson. Having one or both changes the effectiveness of the passing game.

No. 5/6 Baylor (6-0, 3-0) at Kansas (2-4, 0-3)

Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, 6:00 p.m. (ESPNU)

The skinny: Bowl eligible for the fourth consecutive year ? a school record ? the Bears are now trying for their second 7-0 start in school history. The first one was in 1980. Baylor's offense continues to dominate but the defense is now No. 2 in the conference at 317 yards per game. Kansas may rotate quarterbacks this weekend. The Jayhawk offense is last in the league 287 yards per game.

Texas (4-2, 3-0) at TCU (3-4, 1-3)

Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, 6:30 p.m. (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: Texas is in control of its destiny after beating Oklahoma two weeks ago. The Longhorns may have found a balance between running backs Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown as Case McCoy runs the offense. TCU's offensive woes continue to be a problem. It's really more of an issue with the offensive line, which has allowed 14 sacks ? tied for third most in the Big 12. QB Trevone Boykin is also running for his life. Don't be surprised if Casey Pachall (arm) is available. He has been cleared to play.

-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings are before the Texas-Iowa State game.

1. Baylor - Defense collecting 3 ½ sacks per game

2. Oklahoma State - Offense starting to look pedestrian

3. Texas Tech - Win in Norman and this team will have more believers

4. Oklahoma - Defense has to find a way to shut down the prolific Tech offense

5. Texas - Johnathan Gray second in the Big 12 in rushing with 562 yards

6. West Virginia - Defensive woes seem to be back; allowed more 1,200 yards last 2 games

7. TCU - Patterson says there's never been a split between his offense and defense

8. Kansas State - Passing game needs to pick it up in a hurry

9. Iowa State - Cyclones getting closer to becoming bowl ineligible

10. Kansas - Not a shock but punter Trevor Pardula second in punting average at 44.8

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>A win at Kansas would establish the longest winning in Baylor annals of 10. Baylor won its last three in 2012. That would break the record set between 1936-37.

>Baylor's defense has forced 42 3-and-outs in the opponent's 88 possessions. Opponents are only coming away with scores at 55.6 percent in the red zone.

>This season, Baylor has trailed by a total of 2:06 in game time. The Bears trailed Buffalo by 54 seconds and trailed at Kansas State for a total of 1:12.
>While there has been little movement on Abilene Cooper linebacker Cordell Dorsey's sexual assault case, we understand Baylor continues to monitor this. That doesn't mean Baylor is or is not still pursuing things. It's just that the legal process has to move first. Dorsey is still on track to graduate in December.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News