ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 17, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
What losing Hilliard means

The impact of losing Desmine Hilliard (potential season-ending wrist injury) to the offensive line will be mainly from an experience standpoint. Out of the three guards rotating, Hilliard was the only one returning from the 2013 line as Blake Muir was sitting out due to transferring from Hawaii and Broxton was still at Lackawanna (PA) College.

Besides that, the biggest question marks will be if Broxton will be able to handle playing a full game, and the pressures of being a starter full time. I predict there won't be too much drop off as Broxton has received quality reps throughout the season. Those reps will have helped him build chemistry with center Kyle Fuller and right guard Troy Baker, so there won't be much confusion on the right side of the line.

When looking at someone to back those guards up, it seems to be LaQuan McGowan. Muir beat him out for the left guard spot during fall camp, but he's still been getting reps in the goal line formation so far this season. It will be interesting to see if the offensive staff continues the rotation trend and works McGowan in during the game, or if they switch to keeping Broxton and Muir in full time now.

-Nick Jean-Baptiste

2016 update

We figured this would be a good time to check in with the five 2016 Baylor commitments and their productivity as we begin the homestretch of the 2014 regular season. So let's get you caught up

>Tren'Davian Dickson, WR, Navasota - 8-329 41.2 ypc 7 TD.

Comment: the numbers may not jump out overall. However, Navasota, the No. 1 team in the Class 4A state poll, has been blowing everybody out. Dickson's work has been limited. But it isn't bad when seven of your eight receptions are for touchdowns.

>Patrick Hudson, OL, Silsbee - Grading about 87 percent.

Comment: Last we heard a couple of weeks ago was that he was pretty much dominating whoever lined up opposite of him. We've also heard he's beyond double digits in pancake blocks.

>Kameron Martin, RB, Port Arthur Memorial - Receiving: 201 yards; Rushing 564 yards, 13 TDs

Comment: Martin is sharing the carries with Corey Dauphine so his numbers will be impacted. Still, he's probably going to still get his share.

>Zach Smith, QB, Grandview - 2,343 yards (67.7 percent), 26 TDs, 2 INT

Comment: You can't argue with the production. Smith has been accurate and leading a very prolific offense. He's dominating the competition. Unfortunately, his team is in trouble. The Zebras are 0-3 in district play and have to climb out of a hole in order to make the playoffs.

>Keshawn Somerville, DB, Pflugerville Hendrickson - 6 PBU, 30+ tackles

Comment: It's been a mixed bag for Somerville. He's played both defensive back and safety for the Hawks. But when he is at DB, he's been playing a lot of press coverage. Somerville does not have an interception as of yet.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Finding a position

When Trophy Club Byron Nelson's Brandon Bowen came to Baylor last week with teammate Kellen Diesch to check out Baylor for the first time, he just had to take it all in because the afternoon went so fast.

The 2016 defensive end/wide receiver (6-6, 225) picked up his conversations with Baylor within the last several weeks. Baylor hasn't offered, but it's a given the coaching staff is really watching him. TCU and Michigan are also keeping tabs on him.

"They're a great team and a great program,'' Bowen said. "I think I could fit with Baylor if it worked out. My mom works at DFW airport and would like to play close to home.''

Bowen didn't go through the summer camp circuit so he may not be as well known. But word is spreading. With his size, he said Baylor and TCU are recruiting him as a wide receiver. Michigan likes him as an athlete.

"Baylor [coach Jeff Lebby] said they see me as a big target and that it would be hard to take me down,'' Bowen said. "I always try to make something out of nothing. I always try to push myself. I love to catch the ball and make a good play.''

By splitting time, the Nelson coaching staff has had to find a way to pick its spots with Bowen. He has eight receptions for 98 yards this year. This is his first year at Nelson after moving from Carrollton Newman Smith.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball recruiting notes

>As we mentioned, 3-star guard Wendell Mitchell from Rockdale is going to take his official visit Nov. 1 for Homecoming. It may not be fair to call Mitchell a plan B to Dallas Madison guard Admon Gilder who committed to Texas A&M Thursday. But up until a few days ago, Mitchell had not finalized his visit plans to Baylor.

Both Mitchell and Gilder are built the same (6-3, 180) and both are shooting guards. Mitchell is no stranger to the Baylor campus. He's been there several times.

>We noted that Memphis 3-star guard LeGerald Vick will get an in-home visit from Baylor. At one point, we were told that would be head coach Scott Drew. Several schools are jumping on Vick including Baylor, SMU, Indiana, Georgia Tech and Auburn.

>Gerald Hamilton, the handler for Cordova, TN center Skal Labissiere told Jake Shaw they are not doing any interviews regarding Labissiere's recruiting. There is no known commitment announcement date for Labissiere. The Rivals No. 4 recruit took his fifth and final official visit to Baylor last week.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A guilt complex

When he was a guest of Texas for the Baylor game on Oct. 4 in Austin, Kyle Porter admitted he felt a little guilty.

He said he paid a little more attention to watching the Bears running game than Texas'. Katy's 2016 running back (5-11, 194, 4.42) has offers from both as well as Illinois, Maryland, Tennessee, TCU and California.

"It was weird,'' Porter said. "I was on the [Texas] sideline and I might as well have been on the Baylor side. I really liked watching Shock Linwood. He just runs hard. He breaks tackles. He has really good vision.

"I really like watching Baylor's offense because they mix it up so well. They do a great job with their read option.''

Porter hasn't been to Baylor since Katy's state semifinal game against Cibolo Steele in 2012 when he was a freshman. But he's had plenty of contact with Baylor wide receivers coach Kendal Briles.

Running behind Oklahoma commit Rodney Anderson, Porter has rushed for 437 yards and eight touchdowns (6.8 ypc). When asked what he thought his running style was, Porter was stumped.

"I just go out and run,'' he said. "I wouldn't say I'm elusive or will run through you. I just kind of do a little of everything. I have to do what I have to do to get yards.''

And when he's not in the backfield, he's been slotting out at wide receiver. He's caught five passes for 58 yards. It's probably too early to say where Baylor wants this relationship to go. But it could be as an athlete.

"I have no problem playing wide receiver,'' Porter said. "I just like catching the ball. I really don't know what Baylor thinks. If they look at me as an athlete, it wouldn't bother me. I like watching them. I turn over and watch them on TV every chance I get.''

Porter is originally from the greater Baton Rouge area. His family moved to Katy because of his father's job transfer.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - RB Shock Linwood enjoying the extended workload

2. TCU - The elephant in the room: This team can't run the ball

3. Oklahoma - Sooner passing game is collapsing in front of Bob Stoops' eyes

4. Kansas State - Wildcats have the Big 12's top rushing defense (81.4 ypg)

5. Oklahoma State - Young Cowboys make first trip to Fort Worth

6. West Virginia - WR Kevin White is crazy good 61-888 5 TD

7. Texas - Did QB Tryone Swoopes (334 yards, 2 TD vs. OU) turn a corner?

8. Texas Tech - Just a very sloppy and undisciplined team

9. Iowa State - QB Sam Richardson looking for big-time performance in Austin

10. Kansas - With RB Tony Pierson now at RB, the wide receiver options get interesting

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. All 10 teams are in action.

No. 4/4 Baylor (6-0, 3-0) at West Virginia (4-2, 2-1)

11:00 a.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown WVA (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: Two of the Big 12's most explosive and balance offenses get together. It's fair to say that first one to 70 wins. The winner of previous two meetings has hit that point total. The Bears' defense didn't force a turnover last week against TCU. West Virginia is tied with Texas Tech for last in the Big 12 in turnover ratio at -8.

No. 14/14 Kansas State (4-1, 2-0) at No. 11/11 Oklahoma (5-1, 2-1)

11:00 a.m. Gaylord Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK (ESPN)

The skinny: The Sooners really need to get it together offensively. QB Trevor Knight seems rattled. And the status of several injured players including RB Keith Ford remains in question. Kansas State has been pretty efficient running its offense. The Wildcats are third in the league in scoring offense at 40.8 ppg.

Kansas (2-4, 0-3) at Texas Tech (2-4, 0-3)

2:30 p.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (FOX Sports Net)

The skinny: Somebody is picking up its first conference win. Tech desperately needs this to stop a four-game slide and keep postseason bowl hopes alive. QB Davis Webb leads the Big 12 with 11 interceptions. The Red Raiders have committed more turnovers (14) than any other team in the conference. Kansas appears to have chosen Michael Cummins as its starting quarterback.

No. 15/15 Oklahoma State (5-1, 3-0) at No. 12/12 TCU (4-1, 1-1)

3:00 p.m. Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: Prior to the Baylor game, TCU had surrendered 54 points in its first three games. So now it's time to start anew. The question is whether the Horned Frogs can get their running game going. While the Horned Frogs are at 184.8 ypg, QB Trevone Boykin is their leading rusher (305 yards). The Cowboys have a great weapon in Tyreek Hill. The junior college transfer has 977 all-purpose yards between rushing, receiving, punt returns and kick returns.

Iowa State (2-4, 0-3) at Texas (2-4, 1-2)

7:00 p.m. Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, Austin (LHN)

The skinny: These are two of the worst scoring offenses in the Big 12. Iowa State is eighth at 24.5 ppg. Texas is ninth at 19.7. But the Texas offense has a chance to gain some success because the Cyclones are ninth in the Big 12 in total defense surrendering more than 446 yards per game. Statistically, QB Tryone Swoopes is having a decent season. He's completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 1,098 yards with seven TDs. It does not look like the Texas coaching staff wants to remove the redshirt of QB Jerrod Heard.

-SicEmSports

Emptying the notebook

>Although he went to Baylor's game last week against TCU, the Baylor coaching staff did not offer Waco Midway linebacker Lenoy Jones. We'll see if that changes over time.

>Dallas Bishop Dunne DT Darrion Daniels apparently has an official visit lined up for Baylor, according to head coach Michael Johnson. However, a date is not clear, Johnson said. With the size of the 2015 class revolving in numbers - don't be surprised if it swells to near 20 - there could be room for a defensive tackle.

>It may never get anywhere, but one other linebacker that could be under consideration is Lewisville Hebron's Angelo Garbutt. The 2-star 6-2, 210 recruit is committed to Oregon State. We last wrote about him on June 7 when he drove out to the Baylor satellite camp in Marshall.

>Nothing official, but everything continues to trend toward Baylor and Texas Tech extending their series at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. The two-year agreement would technically end after the Nov. 29 meeting.

>On Thursday, Baylor's baseball program released its 52-game 2015 schedule. The Bears open on Feb. 13 with an eight-game home stand. It starts with Cal Poly, followed by Dallas Baptist, Kent State and then Northwestern State. Baylor travels to Cal-State Fullerton Feb. 27-March 1. The Bears will be involved in the Houston College Classic March 6-8 at Minute Maid Park against Hawaii, LSU and Texas A&M. Big 12 play begins March 13 at TCU. Baylor plays host to Texas in the final regular season weekend May 16-17 at Baylor Ballpark. The Big 12 tournament is May 20-24 in Tulsa. The tournament is moving from Oklahoma City.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News