ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Nov. 7, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: Next week the Blitz will return at its normal timeslot on Friday, Nov. 13. We’ll have a preview of the No. 21/22 Baylor men’s basketball team’s 2015-16 season. The Bears open that night against Stephen F. Austin. It’s also expected to be a major recruiting weekend for football with the game against Oklahoma. Major names are should attend. But some of that could be impacted by the playoffs.

Hudson explains A&M visit
Silsbee four-star offensive guard Patrick Hudson committed to the Baylor coaches over 15 months ago after being a one-time Texas A&M commit. Despite the long time commitment, several programs have continued to recruit the standout lineman including the Aggies.

Hudson is expected to be in College Station this weekend for an official visit to watch the Aggies face the Auburn Tigers.

“I will be visiting College Station this weekend,” Hudson said. “I’m just checking out the game. I like everything about Texas A&M, but most everything is the same when you look at all of the colleges and programs.

“The coaches and the universities are very similar in what they can offer. It’s really about my personal preferences. For example, I want to study Sports Marketing in college and that is something I want to look into.”

Do the A&M coaches have an opportunity to change Hudson’s mind this weekend?

“They might,” Hudson said. “I don’t really talk with their coaches on a regular basis, but I’m going to see what the program is all about and learn more about the school as well.”

Hudson is also planning another visit to Waco the following weekend to watch the Bears face Oklahoma on Nov. 14th.

“I will be in Waco the next weekend,” Hudson said. “During the football season it’s tough, but I’m looking to reconnect with some of the other commits that weekend.”

Hudson is the No. 1 offensive guard in the nation, the No. 29 prospect in the latest Rivals 100 national rankings and the No. 2 player on the Rivals.com Texas Preseason Top 100 for the 2016 class.
-Matt Clare

Kameron Martin’s career ends
Some senior seasons just don’t have the storybook finish. That turned out to be the reality for Port Arthur Memorial RB and Baylor 2016 commit Kameron Martin. The Titans finished their season and Martin’s high school came to a close Friday with a 38-7 loss to Galena Park North Shore.

The Titans had to win that game in order to reach the postseason. Instead their season closed at 3-7. Martin’s season had more than its share of ups and downs. Individual statistics weren’t finalized. However, the Titans rushed for only 90 yards against North Shore. Martin finished with more than 1,000 yards this season.

Now, his offseason will turn toward track and field and preparing to come to Baylor. Martin was a member of the 2015 Memorial 4x200 Class 6A state championship relay team and will look to repeat as state champions. Martin said he never considered enrolling early because the Baylor coaches told him they wanted him to go through the track season. Once he signs on Feb. 3, 2016, Martin will arrive at Baylor in the summer.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Port Arthur Pipeline continues
The Baylor coaches made their way to Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial high school and grabbed Rivals 250 running back Kameron Martin for the 2016 class. Recently, the coaches made a new offer to Martin’s teammate, 2017 corner Kary Vincent.

“Coach (Carlton) Buckels, the defensive backs coach from Baylor reached out,” Vincent said. “I went to one of the Baylor camps in Houston this past summer. That’s when I met the coaches and we have been talking ever since.

“I was excited to receive the offer. Baylor is a great program and I love the staff. I still need to see the campus though. My Dad and I are going to setup some visits for after the season.”

Vincent is already hearing about the Bears from his teammate Martin and could end up visiting with the Baylor running back commit.

“Oh, of course,” said Vincent. “He keeps me updated on everything Baylor on a daily basis. I might even take a visit to Baylor the next time he goes up there.”

The Baylor coaches are not the only ones after the standout junior. The Oklahoma State coaches also offered this week, coaches from other Big12 programs are beginning to show interest and Vincent will visit Texas A&M this weekend.

“My family and I are going to visit College Station this weekend,” Vincent said. “One of the coaches reached out to my coach, and my Dad is actually the coach. He helps me with recruiting and talks with a lot of the colleges.

“I picked up the offers from Baylor and Oklahoma State. Coaches from TCU and Oklahoma have started showing interest as well.”

Currently unrated, the 5-foot-11, 175-pound corner holds three early offers from Baylor, SMU and Oklahoma State. He is also receiving interest from coaches at the Big 12 schools, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin.

There’s a pretty solid chance that both Vincent and Martin will come up for the Oklahoma game Saturday. They were looking at Oct. 24 before a conflict arose.
-Matt Clare

Playoff matchups
Of Baylor’s 15 2016 commits, 12 are in the playoffs. Only Kountze’s Grayland Arnold, Frisco Centennial’s Raleigh Texada and Port Arthur Memorial’s Kameron Martin saw their regular seasons end. Here’s a look at their team’s bi-district playoff matchups. Some times are subject to change. In case you didn’t know, the UIL is incorporating a new pilot program for only Class 6A. The No. 1 seeds in Division I and Division II can host a bi-district playoff game.

QB Zach Smith – Grandview vs. Little River-Academy (Class 3A D1); 1 p.m. Saturdy Waco ISD
(So you can watch Smith in the afternoon and then go over to McLane for the OU game)

OL J.P. Urquidez – Copperas Cove at Rockwall (Class 6A D2); 7:30 p.m. Friday

DB Donovan Duvernay – Sachse at Killeen Shoemaker (Killeen Stadium – Class 6A D1); 7:30 p.m. Friday

DE Micheal Johnson – Fort Bend Hightower vs. Friendswood (Class 6A D2); 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Ken Hall Stadium

S Kenan Ivy – Lancaster vs. Dallas South Oak Cliff (Class 5A D2); 7:30 p.m. Thursday, DeSoto

OL Patrick Hudson – Silsbee vs. Tyler Chapel Hill (Class 4A D1); TBA

WR Jared Atkinson – Mesquite Horn at Dallas Jesuit (Class 6A D2); 7:30 p.m. Friday

S Chris Miller – Frisco Lone Star vs. Prosper (Class 5A D2); 9:00 p.m. Friday AT&T Stadium, Arlington

S Rajah Preciado – Hutto at College Station (Class 5A D2); 7:30 pm Friday

NT Bravvion Roy – Spring vs. College Park (Class 6A D1); 7:00 p.m. George Stadium FYI: Spring won its first district championship in school history in 2015.

Ath Denzel Mims – Daingerfield vs. TBA (Class 3A D2)

LB Deonte Williams – Plano Prestonwood vs. TBA (TAPPS)
-SicEmSports

Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports releases its ratings of the Big 12 conference and its member schools. Ratings are based on previous week’s performance. Thursday results are not taken into account because the rest of the conference has not played. Agree or disagree, there is something to discuss.

1. Baylor – NT Andrew Billings health (sprained ankle) could define this season.
2. TCU – A very healthy offense and a healthier defense
3. Oklahoma State – 17-point comeback at Texas Tech was tied for 2nd largest in school history
4. Oklahoma – The soft spot in the conference schedule ends Saturday
5. Texas Tech – Well, somebody has to be fifth
6. West Virginia – A win against the Red Raiders can flip the season
7. Iowa State – Give the Cyclones credit for standing up against Texas
8. Kansas State – No playmakers on offense
9. Texas – This team is really hard to watch
10. Kansas – Fourth in the Big 12 in sacks with 20
-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the games for Saturday, Nov. 7. All times are central along with their television listings. Games are listed in chronological order.

Texas Tech (5-4, 2-4) at West Virginia (3-4, 0-4); 11:00 a.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WVA (FOX Sports 1) – Series: Tied, 2-2: Both teams are going backwards. The Mountaineers have lost four in a row. Texas Tech has dropped its last two. Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes has thrown for more than 400 yards in three games this season. He has one of the nation’s most versatile receivers in Jakeem Grant. Meanwhile the Mountaineers are looking for some consistency with their passing game. Receivers dropped several balls against TCU. The Red Raiders need one more win to become bowl eligible.

No. 3/5 TCU (8-0, 5-0) at No. 10/12 Oklahoma State (8-0, 5-0); 2:30 p.m., Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (FOX) – Series: Oklahoma State leads, 13-10-2: One of the biggest matchups of the college football weekend. Heisman Trophy contending QB Trevone Boykin has become much more efficient with the ball throwing five interceptions in 297 attempts. This game could come down to whether Oklahoma State’s defensive line can establish any consistent pass rush and keep Boykin from breaking off big runs. Emmanuel Ogbah has nine sacks this year. OSU is second in the league with 29 sacks. TCU has surrendered the fewest sacks with six. But the Cowboys are going to have to get big plays from their rotating QBs of Mason Rudolph and J.W. Walsh.

Iowa State (3-5, 2-3) at No. 13/14 Oklahoma (7-1, 4-1); 6:00 p.m. Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK (ESPNU) – Series: Oklahoma leads, 72-5-2: Every time you see the series record, you have to do a double take. It’s one of the most lopsided out there. The Sooners may have finally found the formula to get their running game going between Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon. By beating up Texas Tech and Kansas the last two weeks, the Sooners have raised their league standing from seventh to fourth. Expect more of the same. Iowa State has some momentum following its 24-0 shutout of Texas. Redshirt freshman running back Mike Warren (954 yards) could surpass 1,000 for the season Saturday.

Kansas (0-8, 0-5) at Texas (3-5, 2-3); 7:00 p.m. Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin (Longhorn Network) – Series: Texas leads, 12-2: Kansas’ issues of lack of personnel are well documented. There just aren’t any difference makers with this lineup. However, Texas’ offensive woes continue. Not only are the Longhorns ninth in total offense (329.8), they are eighth in total defense (435.2). They also have the worst third down conversion rate at 34.5 and are ninth in opponent third down conversion rate at 49.2. A loss to the Jayhawks would really put the season at the brink and perhaps bring up some concerns over whether Texas coach Charlie Strong can return for a third season,
-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Baylor continues to maintain contact with Hope, AR defensive end McTelvin Agim. Agim said there doesn’t seem to be a lot of pushing. But it’s clear Baylor is going to keep checking the temperature through Feb. 3. Agim committed to Arkansas over Labor Day Weekend.

>If Houston Westside DT and one-time Baylor commit Jordan Elliott is going to visit like he thought he would, it appears he can. Westside opens the Class 6A Division I playoffs at 7:00 p.m. Friday at Katy. Elliott said earlier in the week he needed to know their playoff situation before he could decide what he was going to do. The Bears have worked their way back into his recruitment along with Michigan and USC. Elliott had been committed to Houston before de-committing earlier this fall.

>In Baylor’s recent scrimmage against Gonzaga in Salt Lake City, the word was that the Bears had the advantage. But you take these performances at face value. That said, Taurean Prince continues to have a strong camp in preparation for the season.

>By throwing for 383 yards in Grandview’s 48-28 victory over Whitney to wrap up the District 9-3A D1 championship, quarterback Zach Smith surpassed the 3,000-yard plateau. He currently stands at 3,158 yards. Art Briles was at his game.

>The early signing period for basketball is Wednesday. Baylor is only looking at signing two in small forward Mark Vital from Dallas Advanced Preparatory International and Indian Hills C.C. forward Nuni Omot.
-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News