ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Nov. 26, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Happy Thanksgiving from SicEmSports!

From all of us, we take this moment to extend our best wishes for you and your families on this holiday and for the blessings that have been received. We also thank you for being a part of this family.

Knowing the backup QB background
On Wednesday, Baylor head coach Art Briles mentioned wide receiver Lynx Hawthorne and walk-on Zack Bennema as candidates to play behind Chris Johnson.

Briles also added that he hoped it didn’t come to that. But the reality is that either is one snap away from replacing Johnson should something happen. Neither has taken a collegiate snap.

Here is the QB background for both:
Lynx Hawthorne, WR, Jr. (6-0, 205): To refresh the story on Hawthorne, he started his high school career at Weimar and played quarterback in 2009 and 2010. In his junior year, Hawthorne enjoyed a solid season (89-156-6, 1,270 yards, 11 TD, 57.1 percent). But that would be the last time he would play the position.

In the summer of 2011, he and his father (Kent, who was then the head coach at Weimar) moved to Refugio to join that staff and help the program win a Class 2A state championship. Hawthorne only played wide receiver and was involved in some rushing plays.

Zack Bennema, QB, Fr. (6-4, 215): Obviously, walk-on situations come with no guarantees. And those players are on the roster because they want to be with the program. An Aurora, Il, standout from Waubonsie Valley High School, Bennema visited Baylor in March and accepted a preferred walk-on opportunity. A dual-threat quarterback, Bennema led Waubonsie Valley to a 9-2 record in 2014. He threw for nearly 1,000 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also rushed for a little more than 800 yards and 10 scores. Bennema is attending Baylor on an academic scholarship, according to a story Napierville (Il) Sun.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Palestine is the future
It will be a collision course of Baylor commits Saturday in Palestine. The TAPPS Division I state semifinals features 2017 wide receiver commit Jhamon Ausbon and Houston St. Thomas against 2016 linebacker commit Deonte Williams and Plano Prestonwood.

Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at Wildcat Stadium. St. Thomas is 10-1. Prestonwood is 10-2.

Ausbon and Williams only know of each other through word of mouth and what they have seen of each other on film. While the goal is move on to the TAPPS championships Dec. 5 in Bastrop, the thought has crossed each other’s minds about what it will be like to play together.

“I am looking forward to watching him,’’ Ausbon said. “You can tell he’s really strong. I know they’ve used him at running back. From what I saw, he’s a beast.’’

Ausbon (43-964, 9 TD) is looking for a 1,000-yard season. He was held to only 54 yards last week against Fort Worth Nolan Catholic in St. Thomas’ 17-0.

Since Williams is lined up at the second line of defense, it’s unlikely that the two will ever cross paths when Prestonwood is on defense. Williams has nine sacks, six QB hurries, and six tackles for loss. Prestonwood has defeated Beaumont Kelly and San Antonio Central Catholic.

“His ability to get open and make plays shows that he’s a key player on their team,’’ Williams said. “I know what he is all about. He’s a great athlete and very versatile.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Bears offer 2018 TE

Ridge Point (Texas) 2018 tight end Mustapha Muhammad is quickly making a name for himself in only his sophomore season for the Panthers.

Over the past two weeks, Muhammad added scholarship offers from Houston, Texas A&M, Michigan and now the Baylor Bears.

With limited contact between coaches and underclassmen, most of the communication with each college is between Muhammad's coaches at Ridge Point. Baylor offensive coordinator, Kendal Briles, is the coach who reached out to offer the standout sophomore.

"Coach Kendal Briles spoke with my coaches here at Ridge Point," Muhammad said. "I tried calling him back, but missed him. I'm sure we will connect and talk everything over. He told my coaches that they really liked what I put on tape this season and that I have a lot of potential.

"I don't a lot about Baylor, but plan on speaking with the coaches and will most likely take a visit in the off season. “It’s incredible to receive offers this early in the process. I was surprised and it’s a blessing. I’m just going to keep working hard and would like to continue adding more offers.”

At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, Muhammad also played varsity basketball for Ridge Point last year as a freshman. He plays AAU basketball in the off season for team Texas Elite with several other standout athletes, including 2017 Rivals100 DT and No. 1 overall player Marvin Wilson.

“I love football, but would say that basketball was always my first love in sports,” Muhammad said. “I would eventually like to pursue both sports in college. At the tight end position, I believe my work on the basketball court helps me on the football field.

“Coaches really like my catching ability, my footwork to get open and basically my size helps me with blocking. Most coaches tell me that I’m a big target with long arms to catch passes away from my body.”

Muhammad and his Ridge Point teammates enter the third round of the playoffs this weekend at NRG Stadium against A&M Consolidated this Saturday.
-Matt Clare

Recruits react to Baylor-TCU rivalry
Baylor’s commits are only now starting to appreciate the intensity of the Baylor-TCU rivalry. The teams meet for the 111th time Friday in Fort Worth in one of the oldest games in the history of the sport. SicEmSports reached out to members of the 2016 and 2017 classes to get their impressions of the of the rivalry.

>J.P. Urquidez, OL, Copperas Cove (Baylor 2016 commit): “Attitude!”

>Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (Baylor 2016 commit): “Two great clubs going at it year after year. But Baylor’s been the victor the last few years. Just two teams that no matter the circumstance, they’re always going to be tuned up for this game. SicEm gonna get them this week.’’

>Kenan Ivy, S, Lancaster (Baylor 2016 commit): “What I noticed is that’s become more of a rivalry that has been put on the national level these past couple of years. It has also decided who is going to be the Big 12 champs.’’

>Micheal Johnson, DE, Fort Bend Hightower (Baylor 2016 commit): “I don’t see it as a rivalry. I think we are doing to dominate the game.’’

>Donovan Stiner, S, Houston Bellaire (Baylor 2017 commit): “Probably the most hyped rivalry in the Big 12.’’

>Jared Atkinson, WR, Mesquite Horn (Baylor 2016 commit): “It’s a very intense rivalry especially after last year’s game (Baylor’s come-from-behind 61-58 victory).’’

>Jhamon Ausbon, WR, Houston St. Thomas (Baylor 2017 commit): “TCU can’t cover Baylor’s receivers.’’

>Patrick Hudson, OL, Silsbee (Baylor 2016 commit): “Personally, I think this year’s game is not as strong as what it was because both teams have suffered a lot of injuries.’’

>Rajah Preciado, S, College Station (Baylor 2016 commit): “The winner of this rivalry is going to be the one who wants it more (BAYLOR). It’s going to be a good game and come down to the wire.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend
Final week for a full slate of games the Thanksgiving weekend starting Nov. 26. All times are central. TV listings are noted. Rankings are from the College Football Playoff committee. Games are listed in chronological order.

Texas Tech (6-5, 3-5) at Texas (4-6, 3-4); 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, Austin (FOX Sports 1) – Series: Texas leads, 49-15 – The Red Raiders know they’re going to a bowl so this game isn’t about where they’re slotted. They have no control over that. But they want to assure themselves of a winning season. Texas must win its last two games (Dec. 5 at Baylor) in order to secure bowl eligibility. Tech quarterback Pat Mahomes (3,911) should win the league passing title and surpass 4,000 passing yards. The Longhorns are in the middle of the Big 12 in pass defense at 234.5 yards per game.

No. 7 Baylor (9-1, 6-1) at No. 19 TCU (9-2, 6-2); 6:30 p.m. Friday, Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth (ESPN) – Series: Baylor leads, 52-51-7 – Key stat for Baylor: Prior to his 10 passing attempts last Saturday at Oklahoma State, sophomore quarterback Chris Johnson had attempted only four passes in his Baylor career. Key stat for TCU: The Horned Frog defense is the best on 3rd down in the Big 12. Opponents are converting only at 28.1 percent.

Iowa State (3-8, 2-6) at West Virginia (6-4, 3-4); 11:00 p.m. Saturday, Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, W VA (FOX Sports 1) – Series: West Virginia leads, 2-1 – The finale for ISU head coach Paul Rhoads who was fired last week. It wasn’t a surprising move. Iowa State has the worst turnover ratio in the Big 12 at minus nine. West Virginia is looking for its fourth consecutive win. The Mountaineers have the second-best turnover ratio in the Big 12 at plus eight.

Kansas State (4-6, 1-6) at Kansas (0-11, 0-8); 3:00 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS. (FOX Sports 1) – Series: Kansas leads, 65-42-2 – A must win for the Wildcats who have to beat their cross state rival and then West Virginia at home on Dec. 5 in order to clinch a bowl berth. The Jayhawks would love to do nothing more than to ruin those plans and end the season on a winning note. No team wants to go through a season winless. KU is coming off a 49-0 loss to West Virginia last week.

No. 3 Oklahoma (10-1, 7-1) at No. 11 Oklahoma State (10-1, 7-1); 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK. (ABC) – Series: Oklahoma leads, 84-18-7 – Bedlam No. 110 carries national playoff and Big 12 championships implications. A Sooner victory all but assures Oklahoma a spot in the College Football Playoff. An Oklahoma State win opens the door for other teams. Of course, Baylor’s outcome against TCU will already have been known. Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield is expected to play after clearing concussion tests earlier in the week. Oklahoma State’s running game (132.2, 9th in the Big 12) is coming off a horrendous effort last week against Baylor when it finished with eight yards.
-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each Week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12’s team based on how they performed in their previous week’s games. Given the Thanksgiving Holiday and the earlier release of the rankings. Agree or disagree, they do make for interesting discussion.

1. Oklahoma – Bedlam stands in the way of the CFB playoff for Sooners
2. Baylor – This program’s fortunes now ride with the defens3
3. Oklahoma State – Lack of an effective running game eventually cost the Cowboys
4. TCU – Horned Frogs looking to spoil arch rival Baylor’s Big 12 title/playoff hopes
5. West Virginia – Bowl eligible and beating up the second division
6. Texas Tech – Rushing defense has allowed Big 12 worst 36 touchdowns
7. Texas – Charlie Strong quashes Miami (Fl.) rumors
8. Kansas State – Miracle finish against Iowa State keeps bowl hopes alive
9. Iowa State – Paul Rhoads successor inherits a great RB Mike Warren (1,265 yards)
10. Kansas – One final chance to pick up that first win
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook
>Fort Bend Hightower DE Micheal Johnson, a Baylor 2016 commit, did see his rating move up a bit. He remains a 3-star recruit. But his rating moved from a 5.5 to a 5.6.

>This is Baylor QB Chris Johnson’s senior season at Bryan in 2012: Passing - 112-235-3 1,724 10TD; Rushing - 59-165 2 TD.

>The No. 5/4 Baylor women’s basketball team (4-0) begins play in the Junkamoo Jam Thanksgiving Day at 1:00 p.m. against Cincinnati (3-0). The Lady Bears are playing the tournament in Freeport, Bahamas. Baylor then faces No. 20/22 Michigan State (3-0) at 4:45 p.m. Saturday.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News