ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Nov. 22, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

NOTE: We didn't want to neglect the postgame basketball pressers from Scott Drew against Charleston Southern. Please enjoy in the link window.

Last-minute official means signed NLI

Indian Hills C.C. (Ottumwa, IA) point guard Lester Medford talked to the Baylor coaches on Nov. 14 about coming down for a last-minute official visit over the weekend.

When Baylor probably realized it wasn't going to secure greater Minneapolis guard Tyus Jones ? he announced last Friday he would sign with Duke along with Jhalil Okafor -- the coaching staff knew it had to find another strong candidate. The staff had already done its homework on Medford and built the rapport going back to the summer.

So Medford hastily flew down to Waco on Sunday, watched the Bears play UL-Lafayette, came back on Monday and decided Wednesday, he needed to be a Bear. Medford signed his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday. Medford chose the Bears over St. Mary's.

"The visit went great,'' he said. "I had family there for the game. My mom lives in Austin. They run the style of offense that I love because they will run. They give their guards freedom and that fits me.''

The Tucson, AZ native is playing his first year at Indian Hills.

Through five games, Medford leads the team with 17.6 points and 3.6 steals per game, and he averages 5.4 assists per game. He's shooting 50.0 percent from the field and 47.6 percent from 3-point range. He's scored in double figures and had at least four assists and two steals in all five games, including a 23-point, 8-steal effort in IHCC's most recent game. He averaged 19 points per game at Arizona Western. He will have two years at Baylor.

The Bears have had some good fortune with JUCO transfer guards. Pierre Jackson was an all-Big 12 performer and current guard Kenny Chery is off to a good start.

"The one thing I'll bring is speed to the game,'' he said. "I just want to keep focusing on my basketball IQ and my shooting.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Florida duo is a package deal

As he arrived in Tuscaloosa, Al. to watch Alabama play LSU on Nov. 9, Coconut Creek (Fl) Monarch's Shawn Burgess-Becker (6-1, 185) got a text message from his high school coach.

It read: "Baylor is interested. Would like for you and Ridley to visit and watch the Texas game.''

Baylor's national brand is not only resonating with the general public, it's also doing so with recruits beyond Texas. In the past, Baylor has offered some of the top players around the country. But given the program's success, there's the chance some will take more than a courtesy look.

The 2015 4-star athlete has offers from Alabama, LSU, Miami (Fla.) and Florida among his 13. The Bears probably aren't far behind with their offer.

Burgess-Becker's initial call with the coaches last week left a good impression for both Burgess-Becker and his lifelong friend and teammate, wide receiver Calvin Ridley (6-1, 175).

"It was good, and they were telling me about all of the players they have produced in the NFL,'' Burgess-Becker said. "They're having a great season. They want me and Calvin to come to the Texas game [Dec. 7].''

Should he travel, it would be a first for Burgess-Becker. He's rarely been outside his home in South Florida and never been to Texas. Receiving an offer might push the motivation over the edge.

Burgess-Becker and Ridley have known each other since the third grade and consider each other brothers, he said. He said wherever the two go, they want to go together.

Both are explosive players for Monarch, which just finished its season at 9-3. Burgess-Becker has played safety, linebacker and wide receiver. Ridley is a playmaker.

"We're definitely interested in Baylor,'' Burgess-Becker said. "Right now, we're trying to see who is out there and what would be the best fit for us.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Boyd thinks Baylor is close

The perception of Baylor continues to evolve. When Gilmer 2015 DB Kris Boyd used to channel surf his TV for college football games, he would pass the Baylor game without thinking about it.

Now, when the Bears are on, he will keep the channel right where it is.

"They're on my radar with the way they're playing,'' he said. "They're close to home and that's something I'm going to have to look at.''

Currently, the Bears have not offered the 4-star recruit yet. But an offer should be forthcoming. Boyd said he has been talking quite a bit with defensive backs coach Carlton Buckels.

"We talked last week a couple of times and talked this week,'' Boyd said. "I'm blessed to have these offers.''

So far, he has offers from Texas, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas Tech. Arkansas, Mississippi State and Texas A&M also may be close to offering. He went to Texas Tech's summer camp. This past summer, he was timed in the 40 at 4.35 and 4.4.

While he has been a jack-of-all trades, he knows his future in Division I college football will be in the secondary. There's talk of him coming to Baylor's game against Texas on Dec. 7. However, that depends on Gilmer's season. The Buckeyes won their area playoff game over Pittsburgh on Thursday, 48-0, and have a history of deep playoff runs.

"Playing cornerback is something I'm good at,'' he said. "You need good corners who are good in man coverage. I think that's where my strength is.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Suddenly…an offer

Trevor Elbert went to school on Tuesday, Nov. 12 and came home with an offer from Baylor. To be sure, the 2015 Rockwall-Heath offensive tackle (6-6, 290) was caught by surprise.

"I didn't know too much about Baylor and didn't even know they were looking at me,'' he said. "I know my former teammate [Raaquan Davis] is there. I haven't been to Waco much and have never been on their campus. I have a lot to learn. But they definitely have my interest now.''

Elbert is highly-sought. He already holds offers from Alabama and Texas A&M. He attended summer camps with Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Alabama and Texas. That doesn't mean Baylor is behind because Elbert doesn't appear to be close to making a decision. He's considering a trip to come to Waco to watch the Texas game Dec. 7.

There's no question he is dominating on the line of scrimmage and should be even more effective as he continues to fine-tune his body. He has spoken with Baylor linebackers coach Jim Gush on several occasions since the offer went out.

Rockwall-Heath went to more of a power running approach this past season. There wasn't anything too creative in his assignment. All he did was "block to where the ball was going.'' Rockwall-Heath rushed for 1,715 yards as a team.

Elbert's strength should be a work-in-progress as will be a power lifter this winter and thrown the shot put.

"I hope I can go just to see what it's all about,'' Elbert said.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at this weekend's games. All times are central. Rankings are BCS. Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia and TCU have an off week.

No. 20 Oklahoma (8-2, 5-2) at Kansas State (6-4, 4-3)

11:00 a.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (FOX SPORTS 1)

The skinny: Outside of Baylor, the Wildcats may be the hottest team in the Big 12. They've won four straight and are bowl eligible. Their QB rotation between Jake Waters and Daniel Sams appears to have a good flow to it. Conversely, the Sooners are still struggling with their QB situation as reports surfaced that Trevor Knight will get the start because Blake Bell suffered an apparent head injury last week against Iowa State. If OU can't make plays in the passing game against the Wildcats, the Sooners could be in trouble.

No. 4 Baylor (9-0, 6-0) at No. 10 Oklahoma State (9-1, 6-1)

7:00 p.m. Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (ABC)

The skinny: The Big 12 game of the year. Baylor's health seems to be getting some good news with the potential returns of RBs Lache Seastrunk (groin) and Glasco Martin (knee). Oklahoma State's offense doesn't have any star power but things have settled since Clint Chelf took over at quarterback after the loss to West Virginia. He's not a dynamic passer but he's a solid player. Oklahoma State's defense leads the conference in takeaways (26) and turnover ratio (+13). Baylor hasn't won in Stillwater since 1939. Will that dry spell end Saturday?

Kansas (3-7, 1-6) at Iowa State (1-9, 0-7)

7:00 p.m. Jack Trice Stadium, Ames IA (FS1)

The skinny: While this game features really nothing of substance, the Jayhawks are trying to build on some momentum after last week's 31-19 victory over West Virginia. That snapped a 27-game conference losing streak. Now, the Jayhawks are looking to end a 23-game losing streak on the road. RB James Sims (914 yards) is pushing for a 1,000-yard season. QB Montell Cozart now has the offense. Iowa State is ninth in the Big 12 in total offense (327.9) and last in total defense (471.0). Not a good combination.

-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - Now, the Big 12 leader in total defense at 323.0 ypg
2. Oklahoma State - DB Justin Gilbert making bid to be an All-American
3. Texas - QB Case McCoy is an interception machine
4. Oklahoma - There's just a feeling of meh with this team
5. Kansas State - Might be the hottest team in the conference not named Baylor
6. Texas Tech - Lack of depth really showing up as the season deepens.
7. West Virginia - Holgorsen's job likely safe; 2014 will be important for him
8. TCU - How do you have two No. 2s on the field at the same time?
9. Kansas - RB James Sims should be on the all-Big 12 team; having a great season
10. Iowa State - Nothing going right for Paul Rhoads' team this year
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>It's unknown if Aledo 2015 athlete Ryan Newsome will play in Friday's Class 4A Division II area playoff game against Saginaw Boswell. Newsome suffered an apparent head and calf injuries in last week's 76-6 bi-district victory over Burleson.

>Baylor men's basketball coach Scott Drew said after Wednesday's 69-64 victory over Charleston Southern that redshirt freshman center Chad Rykhoek will have surgery in December for an issue regarding his hip.

>Baylor and Oklahoma State are the nation's only schools with football, men's basketball and women's basketball ranked in the AP top 20 ? BU (No. 3 FB, No. 20 MBB, No. 9 WBB), OSU (No. 11 FB, No. 7 MBB, No. 20 WBB).

>Baylor will play Chaminade in the opening round of the Maui Invitational at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Should the Bears win, they will get the winner of Dayton/Gonzaga on Wednesday.

>The men's basketball team is off to a 4-0 start for the sixth time in the last seven seasons.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News