ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Nov. 14, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
MBB: Baylor vs. McNeese State, 8:30 p.m. Ferrell Center

TV/Radio: Fox Sports Southwest Plus/ESPN Central Texas

The skinny: The Bears and Cowboys open the 2014-15 season and meet for the third time but the first since 1999. Baylor won the first two meetings. Baylor is coming off a 26-12 2013-14 season and appearance in the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament. The game marks the debut of two redshirts in guard Al Freeman and PF Jonathan Motley. It's also the debut of JUCO transfer guard Lester Medford and forward Deng Deng. The Bears strength is in the experience with senior point guard Kenny Chery, senior small forward Royce O'Neale and junior power forward Rico Gathers.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Recent offer should entice a visit

In a matter of a month, 2016 North Mesquite OT Jean Delance has gone from being a nobody to a most wanted man. He's picked up eight offers in the past 30-plus days, the latest from Baylor, which he got after assistant Brian Norwood dropped by the DFW-area program.

"I kind of expected the offer," said Delance, who got a Mississippi State offer the week before. "Coach (Norwood) came out to the school and we talked a little bit, and he told me was going to be at the game, and he made it to the game. I also talked to the head coach a little bit so that was exciting."

Delance (6-5, 270) has never been to Waco. But to be fair, he's never taken a trip to any college campus for recruiting purposes. He only went to one camp this summer, a satellite event held by Texas Tech outside of Lubbock.

He was also injured during spring ball, but he said he's now "making up for lost time."

That will include a trip -- he hopes -- to Waco for the Kansas State game the first weekend of December. From what he's seen of Baylor from afar, he's pretty impressed.

"So far they're doing pretty good this season," he said. "They have a good program and offer good education. They always seem focused and play really hard, so there's nothing not to like about Baylor."

-Jake Shaw

Texada building the resume

Frisco Centennial 2016 DB Raleigh Texada could probably make the drive to Baylor blindfolded. His appearance at the Kansas game on Nov. 1 marked his third appearance at McLane Stadium.

In fact, the younger brother of Ranthony - now starting in TCU's secondary - is becoming quite familiar with the Baylor campus. He camped there in July. While Baylor hasn't offered, the communication and bond appear to be forming.

"I know I have established a very good relationship with the coaching staff,'' Texada said. "They loved my early season (2014) film. I get a great vibe with them.''

Texada (5-10, 162) has had a big year for Centennial (5-5) which opens the Class 5A Region II playoffs Friday against Wylie. He has four interceptions (one that was returned 80 yards for a TD against Frisco Independence) and 14 pass breakups.

The Centennial coaching staff has him playing in different styles between press, off and man coverage. He said it really depends on his matchup and down and distance. Texada has also been used in the return game where he is averaging about 23 yards per kickoff return.

Texada does have an offer from Duke. But it's sure that others will follow and will probably happen once the football season ends. Texada is hopeful for a Baylor offer yet recognizes it's a process.

"Ranthony has taught me a ton,'' Raleigh said. "I love the [McLane] Stadium environment. I'll just have to see what happens.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

McLane Stadium playoffs & Baylor ties

Just a reminder that Districts 11-6A and 12-6A begin their Region II bi-district games Friday at Baylor's McLane
Stadium.

Friday

Waco Midway (10-0) vs. Tyler Lee (5-5) at 7:30 p.m. - Division II

Saturday

Rockwall (10-0) vs. Copperas Cove (7-3); Noon - Division II

Garland (7-3) vs. Belton (5-5); 3:30 pm - Division I

Rowlett (7-3) vs. Killeen Shoemaker (6-4); 7:00 pm - Division I

Notable recruits:

Waco Midway - S Kahlil Haughton (Baylor offer), Baylor 2015 WR commit Devontre Stricklin, LB Lenoy Jones (Baylor has interest but he's committed to Houston)

Rowlett - Baylor 2015 P commit Drew Galitz

Killeen Shoemaker - 2016 DT Kendell Jones (Baylor offer)

Tyler Lee - 2016 Ath Zach Lee (Very early with Baylor)

Belton - 2016 OL Zach Shackelford (mild Baylor interest)

-Kevin Lonnquist

Recruiting quick-hitters

>With all of the talk surrounding Cedar Hill LB Richard Moore and his apparent wobbly commitment to Texas A&M, I asked him if he was doing anything with Baylor soon. He replied, "I'm not doing anything now. It's playoff time.''

>Talked to Fort Bend Ridge Point DB and Baylor 2015 Jordan Tolbert who said he has been cleared to and has been running at full speed. He still has to be cautious on his cutting drills, but he's slowly adding different drills. "Right now, I'm just trying to get back in shape,'' he said.

>Hope (AR) Rivals 2016 100 DE McTelvin Agim said he still plans to attend Baylor's Nov. 22 game against Oklahoma State. OL coach Randy Clements came to see him three weeks ago after Baylor's previous bye. "It was real cool knowing they would come all this way just to watch me play,'' he said. Agim is ranked No. 76.

>Port Arthur Memorial 2016 RB commit Kameron Martin said he plans to attend Baylor's game against Oklahoma State. The Titans didn't make the playoffs. Martin finished the season rushing for 903 yards and 18 TDs and had 108 receiving yards and one touchdown.

>Grandview also didn't make the playoffs as it finished 5-5 but 1-5 in its district. Still QB Commit Zach Smith still had a big season. He completed 67 percent of his passes (200-298) for 3,407 yards for 34 TDs and seven interceptions. He rushed for 227 yards and six touchdowns.

Grand head coach Casey said Smith has tightened his release where the ball is coming out of his hand even faster than where had been at the beginning of the year.

>Navasota 2016 WR commit Tren'Davian Dickson continues to make every catch count. He has 10 receptions (9 TDs) for 409 yards (40.9 ypc) for the No. 1 team in the state. Navasota (10-0) opens the Class 4A playoffs Friday at 7:00 pm in greater Houston (Moorehead Stadium) against Needville.

>Speculation is that Cedar Hill WR DaMarkus Lodge's college future will either be at Ole Miss or LSU with Ole Miss as the leader.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Loyalty matters

For King McClure, the recruiting process offered a thumbnail sketch of friendship and who you can count on when adversity strikes.

The talented 6-3 Dallas Triple A Academy guard enjoyed a robust junior year and had Baylor as well as college basketball blue blood programs following him. Offers flowed in.

Then McClure suffered a devastating yet not career threatening knee injury in 2013. Schools like Louisville, Florida and Duke decided to move on to other recruits.

Baylor didn't.

Injuries do heal and McClure saw his relationship with Baylor transform from one with casual interest into one where the bond became binding. The Baylor coaching staff stayed with him throughout his recovery. That's the primary reason why the Rivals No. 76 2015 150 recruit signed with the Bears on Wednesday.

"Coach [Scott] Drew and coach [Jerome] Tang were still there, calling me and checking up on me,'' McClure said. "They were willing to help in whatever legal way possible. But that really made my relationship with them stronger.

"They believed in me and the potential I have to be a pro. What you want is a coach to believe in you and not doubt you. That's the ultimate to me.''

While the injury kept him off the court, McClure worked on transitioning his game and reputation. Known as an explosive driver, he worked on the form of his shot. And he shot a zillion free throws.

When he returned to the EYBL season this summer, he found consistency in his mid-range jumper and feels more comfortable with his 3-point shot. He wound up shooting 87 percent on free throws. He finished the summer season averaging 11.5 ppg and shooting 45 percent from the field and 36 percent from 3-point range.

McClure (6-3, 205) has the build to immediately step into the 2015-16 Big 12 season. That appears to be Baylor's plan. For now, he's focusing this season on his conditioning and preparing for what the Big 12 season will offer. The game moves faster and there's more ball movement than dribbling to drain the clock.

Aspirations aside, the emotions on Wednesday revealed someone who saw his dreams fulfilled.

"I was in awe when I faxed [the LOI] over,'' McClure said. "This was a moment I dreamed of. This is your life and your future. I was nervous but happy too.''--Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - I said to myself if Baylor wins in Norman, the Bears go to the top

2. TCU - It would be breaking news if QB Trevone Boykin doesn't go to NYC

3. Kansas State - This team looks exposed against very athletic squads

4. Oklahoma - The boos at Memorial Stadium were stunning to hear

5. Texas - The defense is really good; now about that QB

6. West Virginia - Very close to the season collapsing

7. Oklahoma State - Cowboys have not scored more than 14 pts in the last 3 games

8. Texas Tech - Red Raiders have to win out in order to be bowl eligible

9. Kansas - Good for the Kansas fans tearing down the goalposts. Who cares.

10. Iowa State - With no Sam Richardson at QB, this team is pretty bad.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. Teams are looking to become bowl eligible. The order runs according to game times. With the College Football rankings released, we are now using those. Baylor, Kansas State, West Virginia and Iowa State each all have byes.

No. 4 TCU (8-1, 5-1) at Kansas (3-6, 1-5)

2:00 p.m. Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: The front loaded portion of TCU's schedule is done. But the Horned Frogs can't cruise either. They know style points will be important if they are going to stay in playoff contention. Kansas' challenge is finding enough defense to slow the Horned Frogs down. That's a pretty tall order.

Oklahoma (6-3, 3-3) at Texas Tech (3-6, 1-5)

2:30 p.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (ESPN)

The skinny: Quarterback questions surround this game. Is Trevor Knight healthy enough to play for the Sooners? Is David Webb or Patrick Mahomes starting for the Red Raiders? The mindset for the Sooners should be interesting coming off that humiliating home loss to Baylor. But the Sooners still have a chance to end the season the right way with three straight wins and a chance to go to a bowl and play for 10 wins.

Texas (5-5, 4-3) at Oklahoma State (5-4, 3-3)

6:30 p.m. Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (FOX)

The skinny: The winner becomes bowl eligible. And that will be enough motivation because Texas finishes with TCU. Oklahoma State finishes with Baylor and Oklahoma. The Longhorns are third in the league in total defense (362.0 ypg) but ninth in total offense (360.6). Oklahoma State is going backwards offensively. If Texas QB Tyrone Swoopes can have any kind of a day, the Longhorns can win this. Oklahoma State is last in the Big 12 in passing defense at 282.7 ypg.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>In case you're wondering, with the four playoff games being played at McLane Stadium on the Baylor campus this weekend, the same NCAA visit rules apply to the Baylor coaches. If they have already watched those players, they cannot watch them again. That excludes them from watching Waco Midway on Friday and Rowlett on Saturday.

>In case you missed it, freshman guard Dee Durham will miss at minimum Baylor's first two games of the season - Friday's season and home opener against McNeese State and Tuesday at South Carolina - because a of fracture in his left wrist, his non-shooting hand. He will be re-evaluated next week to determine the next step.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News