ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: May 10, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Issue No. 55

Lawrence decision coming?

We may know soon what Waxahahcie offensive lineman Patrick Lawrence will be doing with his commitment decision.

Baylor assistant coaches Jeff Lebby and Randy Clements were at Waxahachie’s spring game on Thursday. Lawrence said the commitment decision is between Baylor and Texas Tech. He said those were his top two. Lawrence knows he’s one of Baylor’s top offensive tackle targets.

Lawrence said he wasn’t sure when he would decide but there seems to be a feeling he could be deciding within a week or two. We’ll see if that plays out.

What we do know is that Texas Tech coaches were not in Ellis County for the game. Take that for what it’s worth.

As for the game, Lawrence said the highlight for him was returning a fumble 40 yards for a touchdown playing defensive end. And he looked pretty good doing it.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor makes case for 2015 RB

Family connections convinced Baylor assistant Carlton Buckels that he should take the chance on Baton Rouge (LA) University 2015 running back Nicholas Brossette and offer him.

The chance would be based on Brossette holding an LSU offer since last June and presumed to be the favorite. Alabama, Florida State and UCLA are among others to offer. But Baylor’s card is that Buckels brother, Dorsett, coached Brossette in middle school. When the brothers talked, it didn’t take long for Carlton to get to the Bayou and offer this future Rivals 250 prospect.

“He was a really good coach for me,’’ Brossette said of Dorsett. “He helped me a lot. I’ve watched Baylor a lot. I know Baylor is a good academic school, and I watched Robert Griffin III and saw how they beat Kansas State last year. They have a good program there and are doing a lot of great things.’’

As he watched the Bears, Brossette watched how Baylor used its running game between Lache Seastrunk and Glasco Martin. Brossette (6-0, 215) is built more like Martin. He said his program and Baylor’s offense are fairly similar.

While he’s working on shaving his 4.6 speed and continuing to improve his vision, Brossette wants to be the entire package. Spring football started on Monday, so he’s trying to improve upon his pass blocking.

“Nobody will take you if you can’t pass protect the quarterback,’’ Brossette said. “I think I have pretty good hands and my team is going to line me up in the slot.

“I can go anywhere,’’ he said. “The way Baylor spreads the ball was pretty impressive. And I really liked how they used the running backs. I hope I can get up there and see them. I know everybody thinks I’m going to LSU, but this is my decision.’’

-Kevin Lonnquist

Morris might consider the Bears

As fans of any school have learned (often the hard way), just because a player has committed to a program doesn't mean other schools will stop recruiting him.

Such is the case for Mesquite Horn DT Andrew Morris, who committed to Rice in March. The Owls were his only offer -- until Baylor coaches dropped by this week and added their names to the list.

"Baylor made me an offer earlier this week," Morris told me by text message. "I haven't had a chance to really consider (them) since I haven't seen the campus or met the rest of the coaches."

But that doesn't mean he won't consider the Bears -- or any other program that offers him. Morris made it clear that his recruitment isn't over just yet.

"Right now my focus is on spring football," he wrote. "When that's over I'll sit down with my coaches and parents and evaluate any offers I've gotten to figure out the best school and football program for me."

-Jake Shaw

Basketball transfer options

Tuesday’s verbal commitment from Las Vegas Findlay Prep guard Allerik Freeman may have changed how Baylor views the current group of transfers, especially guard. At this point, it’s unknown if the coaching staff will see another transfer who can play immediately. But that’s not to say the coaches won’t continue to look into it.

So for the sake of discussion, there are several candidates the staff may look at look. This is just pure speculation, but here’s a list of potential transfers.

Antonio Barton, Memphis, 6-2, 178:
He played in 26 games for the Tigers and averaged 5.6 points per game. The good news is that he shot 40 percent from 3-point range. The bad news is that he shot 58 percent on free throws. He has one year to play.

Kevin Berardini, Illinois, 6-0, 165:
This is probably the weakest of the candidates because he barely saw any playing time under new Illini coach John Groce. Berardini averaged just one minute and less than one point per game. He has one year to play.

Javorn Farrell, Massachusetts, 6-5, 215:
Call him the mystery candidate because he missed the 2012-13 season with a left ankle injury. But in 2011-12, he was pretty steady averaging 6.3 points per game and shooting 38 percent from 3-point range. It looks like he will pass up a chance to finish at UMass but that’s subject to change. He has one year to play.

Royce O’Neale, Denver, 6-5, 200:
His grandfather’s illness forced O’Neale to ask Denver for his release within the last week because he needed to be closer to his home of Killeen. For sure, O’Neale became an important part for the Pioneers averaging 11 points and 5.5 rebounds. Baylor likes him a lot. He has two years to play.

Allen Roberts, Miami (Ohio), 6-3, 212:
This is the candidate who could be an instant infusion to anyone’s lineup. Don’t kid yourself. The MAC is a pretty decent league. Roberts averaged more than 12 points per game. But he’s a volume shooter to reach that figure as he shot 38 percent. He would have one year to play.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor targets at state track and field meets

If you think Baylor is pretty good at identifying speed, go check out the Class 4A and 5A sprint events at this weekend’s state track and field meet in Austin. It’s the present vs. the future.

At the Myers’ track, you’ll see Mount Pleasant’s KD Cannon in the 100 and 200. He takes a 10.74 in the 100 and 21.61 into each event. But his personal bests were run in the prelims two weeks ago at regionals. He ran 10.63 and 21.41 respectively.

But there will be a little competition in the 200 as Fort Worth Southwest’s Robbie Rhodes is also competing. He ran his 200 in 21.27.

Then there’s the Class 5A 100 where Katy’s Kyle Fulks is competing. Baylor coach Art Briles loved his speed the moment he saw him. Fulks takes a 10.48 into the meet but his personal best has been in the 10.3s.

On Thursday, we wrote about Houston Clear Lake’s Blake Blackmar competing in the discus.

-Kevin Lonnquist

This and that & Emptying the notebook

>Kingwood Park TE Jordan Feuerbacher reiterated he will be at Baylor this weekend. Although Baylor is very interested, Feuerbacher said he wants to narrow his list to a top 5 or top 3 by the end of spring ball. Could be interesting to see if the visit influences the timeframe to make a decision.

>Although Round Rock offensive tackle and Kansas State commit Robert Castaneda did not receive an offer from Baylor at his May 1 workout, there is speculation that if comes to Baylor’s camps in June, the Bears could offer then.

>Newton running back Kevin Shorter maintains that Baylor remains in his top 5. However, Baylor appears to be taking only one running back in Ennis’ Terence Williams. You do the math.

>There still remains hope that Beaumont Ozen defensive back Tony Brown will still keep considering Baylor. We know assistant Carlton Buckels has been to see him. Brown hasn’t been on the Baylor campus since the Feb. 2 junior day.

>One player apparently not enjoying much of a spring football season is Wylie LB T’Kevin Rockwell. He’s been nursing a hamstring injury.

>The Big 12 is in the process of reviewing its branding, style guide and respective implementation. However, a conference spokesman said nothing has been finalized and all potential branding would include all 10 schools.

>Baylor’s baseball team (25-23, 11-9 in Big 12) is off this weekend and will play its final regulars game at Baylor Ballpark at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday against UT-San Antonio before travelling to Texas Tech for the final Big 12 series starting Thursday. The Big 12 tournament is May 22-26 in Oklahoma City.

-Sic'EmSports

This post was edited on 7/11 9:33 AM by K Lonnquist

Baylor Blitz: May 10, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News