ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: March 6, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

By KEVIN LONNQUIST

Publisher

NOTE: Happy belated anniversary to the Baylor Blitz. I didn't realize this but this Friday tradition made its debut on Feb. 17, 2012. We hope that you have enjoyed each edition throughout its existence and hope you will enjoy those coming in the future.

NOTE II:
DeSoto 2016 athlete Tristen Wallace de-committed from Texas Tech earlier on Thursday. What this means for Baylor is a little up in the air. There's been word that Ohio State is making a run at him. Baylor offered Wallace in late January. However, he did not attend junior day.

The Topper

No. 14 Baylor (22-8, 10-7) closes out the 2014-15 regular season with a rare Friday night game against Texas Tech (13-17, 3-14) at 8:00 p.m. in the Ferrell Center.

The Bears say good-bye and thank to seniors point guard Kenny Chery and forward Royce O'Neale. And really, the fact that this team is only losing two seniors from this squad is testament to why a season that began with so many questions is evolving into a certain berth to the NCAA tournament.

Kansas has clinched the conference championship. The Bears are tied for fourth with West Virginia. Oklahoma and Iowa State are tied for second. Conference postseason tournament seeds 2-5 have yet to be determined. But just know that Baylor owns tiebreakers over Iowa State and West Virginia because the Bears swept both of those.

So why did this team, which was picked to finish tied for sixth in the preseason poll, exceed expectations? There are several key developments:

>The surge of Rico Gathers: He is the nation's leading rebounder (11.8) and has 16 double doubles. He became a presence defensively and likely will be an all-Big 12 first team performer.

>Taurean Prince is instant offense: The team's most valuable scorer and leading scorer (13.7) has been in double figures more than any other Bear (24) in the first 29 games.

>Favorable non-conference schedule: Knowing that this young team needed some early confidence, head coach Scott Drew put together a schedule with several easy wins but enough quality tests (at Vanderbilt, vs. Texas A&M, at South Carolina and vs. Memphis and Illinois in Las Vegas) to see how his group would respond. The Bears went 12-1 with the only loss to Illinois.

>Drew shortens bench: Drew looked at his entire roster and used quite a bit of it early. But through the first third of the Big 12 season it appeared he realized that he probably could only go Prince and Al Freeman to compliment his starting five of Chery, O'Neale, Gathers, Medford and Johnathan Motley. Ish Wainwright would see some minutes here and there. But for the most part, this is a seven-man team.

The Bears will be on to Kansas City next week for the Big 12 tournament. But they won't be in the position they were last year when they had to make some noise to get to the NCAA tournament. This team is ready for March Madness. A solid showing at the Sprint Arena can only improve the seating.

Thursday scrimmage reaction

Just by reading the pool reporter story and stats from the final workout before Spring Break, here are some knee-jerk reactions.

>Now, is not the time to panic despite the concerns Art Briles expressed. This team has gone pretty hard for two weeks while a lot of young faces are experiencing life in Division I football. It's a shock to the system. If Briles is saying something similar at Friday Night Lights on March 20, then it would be time to be just a bit concerned.

>Based on his performance, you can't tell if Seth Russell is extending a lead over Jarrett Stidham. Still, he's the leader. But in my opinion, I don't think this was the start he was looking for.

>Like to see that Terence Williams broke off a 60-yard run. With his size and speed, he's ready to be that option that was missing when Devin Chafin wasn't healthy in 2014. Can he move ahead of Chafin?

>Blake Lynch (2 receptions, 14 yards) will be a part of this offense in 2015. He will not be redshirted.

Other spring football notables

Here are some items that we've collected over the course of the last several days.

>DT Andrew Billings is off to a great start. As one source shared: "This is his All American Year.''

>There really is no battle for the starting nickel back position. Sophomore Travon Blanchard is the clear leader and should be the starter over Patrick Levels unless he completely implodes.

>Verkedric Vaughns is off to a good start in the secondary. How much that will matter when fall camp breaks in August is just going to be matter of how consistent he is.

>Blake Muir is working out at both left guard and right tackle. Jarell Broxton is also seeing time at both right and left guard. Blake Blackmar and Rami Hammad are also getting looks at left guard.

This Preston makes the nets sing

Dallas PrimeU forward Billy Preston came to Texas in January and helped the program win the TCAL Class 4A state title. But before he did that, he attended Baylor's Jan. 31 83-30 blowout win over Texas and left with an offer.

There's a lot to like. Rivals rated the 2017 power forward (6-8, 220) as the No. 9 prospect in the country last week. When you step out and hit a three, possess a series of post moves around the basket along with 7-1 wingspan, it's no wonder his offer list is growing and will continue to grow. But Preston isn't happy with just a top 10 personal ranking.

"When I saw it, I was very appreciative of it,'' he said. "But I want to keep working and get higher and higher for that No. 1 ranking. I know I don't have too far to go. But I have to work like I have a long way to go.''

Preston's familiarity with Baylor is limited other than meeting the coaches the day of the Texas game and receiving the offer. Originally from Los Angeles, Preston followed the Bears because of Isaiah Austin. Of course, he's playing with 2016 Baylor commit Mark Vital, who has been in his ear about the program.

When Preston was at the game, he said he concentrated on Rico Gathers and how much he dominated the inside. While his versatility is to where he can play wing, forward or guard, it's likely that his future is in the paint. Still, his ball handling skills are considered exceptional. He's an even better defender.

"I feel like my defense is getting better and my wingspan is pretty quick,'' he said. "I wasn't always this tall. I went from 6-5 last year to 6-8. I've been growing three inches year. What I'm learning about my body is that I've learned to be more flexible and gain some endurance.''

PrimeU is playing in the EA Sports National Tournament. It's a new event and features eight teams.

Alexander sizes up Baylor

Lancaster 2016 athlete Tyler Alexander isn't close to naming a Top 5 or a Top 10. But when he gets around to doing that, expect Baylor to be on it.

Days before teammate Kenan Ivy committed to the Bears, Alexander came away from his recent visit to Baylor's practice with a greater appreciation. There's tempo and then there's Baylor's tempo.

"The offense we play at Lancaster is up tempo, but it's nothing in comparison to what Baylor does,'' he said. "We're nowhere near what they do. Everybody moves fast from station to station. The offensive linemen even do it. Obviously, they're older and more experienced. But it's really impressive to watch it in person.''

This was Alexander's second visit to Baylor. Baylor offered him days after the Jan. 31 junior day. And it's no secret the coaching staff would like to pull off the double play of landing both him and Ivy. They are halfway there. Alexander also picked up offers from Arkansas and Houston.

This is a process, but Alexander said and he and running backs coach Jeff Lebby and wide receivers coach Tate Wallis have started to develop a rapport. Baylor hasn't made it clear where it sees him. In fact, Alexander said the staff asked him if he preferred wide receiver or the secondary. He said secondary.

"They're being more open with me,'' Alexander said. "Just getting to know coach Wallis more has been good. He really listens to you and how you feel about things. He makes sure you feel comfortable.

"It's a little early for me to do anything about a decision. I don't want to rush things. I want to make sure that everything is right. I know Baylor is among my top choices.''

On the cusp

Keller 2017 point R.J. Nembhard is a big point guard (6-3, 180) but has all of the physical abilities to where he's going to draw suitors around the country. Rivals rates him the No. 33 prospect.

He averaged about 14 points per game for the Indians who just concluded their regular season with a Class 6A Region I quarterfinal loss to Allen. Before that happened, Keller (22-10) knocked off No. 3 DeSoto in the area round. Nembhard scored 17 points. Baylor hasn't offered but has shown considerable interest.

"He's the most physically gifted kid I've ever hear,'' Keller coach Randall Durant said. "The thing about him is that he has the physical tools to do anything he wants. He plays the point. He's a good shooter inside the arc and his pull up jumper is deadly.''

Nembhard is also developing a knack to take over games. In an 84-79 overtime win over Denton Guyer on Feb. 13, he had 34 points, seven assists, six rebounds and six steals.

"Things really come easy for him,'' Durant said. "But as he learns to play the game more, he's going to get that much better. What we have to do in the offseason is get him to finish stronger around the basket. But he's a guy that can carry us.''

What's refreshing about Nembhard is that he didn't transfer to Keller from another school. He lived in Keller's attendance zone and attended a private school before changing schools.

Baseball in Houston

The Bears (6-5) are in the Houston College Classic for the ninth time and are part of a very deep field that includes No. 2 LSU (12-1), No. 22 Texas A&M (13-0) and Hawaii (5-8). The tournament is held at Minute Maid Park. The tournament runs Friday-Sunday. Baylor opens against Hawaii on Friday, then plays LSU on Saturday and Texas A&M on Sunday.

Coming off being swept at Cal-State Fullerton last weekend, the Bears are looking to rebound. They are 13-11 all-time at the tournament. Sophomore first baseman Aaron Dodson (.429, 1 HR, 5 RBI) and junior shortstop Justin Arrington (.316 5 RBI) shared Big 12 honors earlier this week.

Baylor's offense appears to be enjoying a nice resurgence. However, this weekend should be telling as to where this team is before Big 12 play begins next weekend (March 13-15) at TCU.

Pitching matchups:

Friday (noon): Baylor - RHP Drew Tolson (0-1, 5.62 ERA) vs. Hawaii - RHP LJ Brewster (2-1, 1.86)

Saturday (2:30 p.m.): Baylor - LHP Daniel Castano (0-1, 4.00) vs. LSU - RHP Alex Lange (3-0, 2.25)

Sunday (3:30 p.m.): Baylor - RHP Austin Stone (0-0, 4.91) vs. Texas A&M - LHP Matt Kent (3-0, 2.29)

Emptying the Notebook

>Friday's men's basketball regular season finale was moved for TV purposes on ESPN. The Big 12 was going to have all five of its games on Saturday and finding a window to televise the game was problematic.

>It's becoming a tradition. On Thursday, Missouri offered recent Lancaster safety commit Kenan Ivy.

>Plano Prestonwood 2016 LB Deonte Williams said he continues to talk quite a bit with Baylor LB coach Jim Gush. He also said he's still is considering Baylor but is not in any position to make any commitment decision.

>Fort Bend Hightower LB Clifton Lewis said he is planning on coming up to Baylor for either a practice or the March 20 Friday Night Lights event at McLane Stadium.

>Oklahoma's second junior day is Sunday and plenty of Baylor targets will be there including Houston MacArthur DE Isaiah Chambers and the Shreveport (LA) Calvary Academy secondary of safety Chanse Sylvie and defensive backs Andraez and Rodarius Williams.

>He's probably a consideration if other safeties commit elsewhere, but Baylor has been talking with Alief Elsik's Chris Brown (6-0, 185). "They said they would definitely come back and see me in the spring,'' he said.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:50 PM by K Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News