ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: March 20, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

By KEVIN LONNQUIST

Publisher

NOTE: With heavy rain in the forecast for Friday, we're going to make a decision by noon Friday as to whether we're going to have the tailgate. We'll just have to wait and see.

Friday Night Light storylines

With the Friday Night Lights game scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday at McLane Stadium, it should offer some clarity as to what the Baylor coaching staff wants this team to look like as it heads toward the April 2 finish.

However, if the anticipate heavy rain becomes an issue, that might cloud how much the coaching staff can implement throughout the game. Presuming the weather cooperates, these are some of the key areas to watch:

>Quarterback: It's unlikely Seth Russell will be named the starter after the game even if he plays well. But I think it is incumbent upon him to play well, make good decisions and allow his wide receivers to operate in space. If he's just so-so and Jarrett Stidham either is steady or dazzles, then it makes the final two weeks of the spring season that much more compelling.

>Nickel Back: Sophomore Travon Blanchard should be the leader over this and perhaps pull away from Patrick Levels. His aggressiveness and decision making should help gain strength in holding the position.

>Secondary development: With no Orion Stewart (shoulder) or Ryan Reid (hernia), this is going to be about the development from the likes of Verkedric Vaughns, Jourdan Blake and Chance Waz. Just to see their development in how they turn their hips and play the ball will help in terms of giving the staff confidence that the depth can be reliable even though it's inexperienced.

>Andrew Billings: The strongest man on the team could be in for a huge season. If you see him dominate the line of scrimmage in ways not seen in 2014, then there is a reason to be excited.

>Young wide receivers: There's been a lot of talk in camp about how big and explosive Ishmael Zamora is and that Chris Pratt's speed could be even better than first thought. Whenever those two step on to the field, watch how they run their routes, work against press coverage and use their hands to catch the ball.

>Leadership: This is the game where some of the personalities are identified. The candidates who can emerge in those roles should be Beau Blackshear, Shock Linwood, Spencer Drango and Corey Coleman.

Friday Night Visitors List

We're moving this list into this space because we want to keep the integrity of the list so we can keep it on file when this moves over the Blitz Archives.

Chris Miller, S, Frisco Lone Star (2016 Baylor offer)
Jeffrey Okudah, Ath, South Grand Prairie (2017 Baylor offer -- he's a maybe)
Houston Miller, DE, Keller (2016 Baylor interest)
Jordan Carmouche, LB, Manvel (2016 Baylor offer)
Tristen Wallace, QB, DeSoto (2016 Baylor offer -- he's a maybe)
Kellen Diesch, OL, Trophy Club Byron Nelson (2016 Baylor offer)
Collin Wilder, DB, Katy (2016 Baylor interest; Texas Tech commit)
J.P. Urquidez, OL, Copperas Cove (2016 Baylor offer)
Baron Browning, LB, Kennedale (2017 Baylor offer)
Isaiah Chambers, DE, Houston MacArthur (2016 Baylor -- he'll probably know by Thursday)
Donell Dunn, WR, Cy Springs (2016 Baylor interest)
Clifton Lewis, LB, Fort Bend Hightower (2016 Baylor offer)
Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (2016 Baylor commit -- he's a maybe because of baseball)
Travis Bruffy, OL, Fort Bend Ridge Point (2016 Baylor interest)
Aubrey White, Ath, Wylie East (2016 Baylor interest)
Eno Benjamin, RB, Wylie East (2017 Baylor interest)
Greg Eisworth, ATH/S South Grand Prairie (2016 Baylor offer -- depends on if he can get a ride)
Eric Cuffee, DB, Waco (2016 Baylor offer)
Parrish Cobb, DB, Waco La Vega (2016 Baylor offer)
R.J. Harmon, RB, Cy Woods (2016 Baylor interest)
Andraez Williams, DB, Shreveport (LA) Calvary Academy (2016 Baylor offer -- trying to make it work)
Rodarius Williams, DB, Shreveport (LA) Calvaray Academy (2016 Baylor offer -- trying to make it work)
Darrion Green, Ath, Dallas Woodrow Wilson (2017 Baylor interest)
Dominic Williams, RB, Dallas Parish Episcopal (2017 Baylor interest)
Dante Smith, LB, Round Rock Stony Point (2017 Baylor interest)
Darrion McClendon, LB, Waco (2016 Baylor interest)
Raleigh Texada, DB, Frisco Centennial (2016 Baylor commit)
Jean Delance, OL, North Mesquite (2016 Baylor offer)
Paddy Fisher, LB, Katy (2016 Baylor offer)
Travis Whillock, SS, Kathy (2016 Baylor interest)
Brandon Bowen, Ath, Trophy Club Byron Nelson (2016 Baylor offer -- he's been sick so it's a Friday decision)
Tren'Davian Dickson, WR, Navasota (2016 Baylor offer)
Mark Jackson, DE, Cibolo Steele (2016 Baylor offer)
Deonte Williams, LB, Plano Prestonwood (2016 Baylor offer -- on the fence)

Notable: Jordan Elliott from Houston Westside and Kenan Ivy and Tyrell Alexander from Lancaster can't be there because they have a track meet in Houston. Neither can Pat Hudson. Plano East 2017 LB Anthony Hines said he also cannot attend Friday. Both Jackson and Browning said they will be there as plans were firmed….Jackson and Browning said Thursday everything looks good for them to come…Galena Park North Shore safety Eric Monroe will not be able to make it because of a track meet…Frisco 2017 OL Jack Anderson said he will not be able to make it. He's anticipating the bad weather and trying to leave the northern part of the DFW area is going to make it a problem.

Martin talks visit

If he had it his way, Port Arthur Memorial running back commit Kameron Martin would have loved to stay with Baylor all week and watch the team practice. Unfortunately, a weekend track meet cut his stay through Wednesday's practice.

But the visit continued to build and strengthen the bond with the staff and his future teammates. Despite constant aggressiveness from Notre Dame, Auburn and Georgia, Martin is steadfastly committed to the Bears.

"They treated me like I was one of the family,'' Martin said. "It was a great time. When I was with the guys, they just told what it means to be a part of this team and all the things we I can't do when I'm with this team.''

Like any recruit, Martin remains stunned with the pace that Baylor operates its practice. There is no idle team. This moves quickly from station to station and play to play.

"The practice is unreal,'' he said. "They practice like they play on Saturday. Coach Art [Briles] and Kendal [Briles] are doing is the right way. It just blows me away when they're done with one play and how quickly they move to the next, especially the offensive linemen.''

Martin spent a lot of his downtime with Linwood and visited in detail about how he goes through his daily routine during the season and offseason. They also spent the visit discussing the responsibilities off the field.

Martin took note of the work ethic and considers Linwood his mentor. Both understand that all of the work will put them in a position to have a chance to play professionally.

"He just told me that I have to compete for everything and that I'm not going to be given anything,'' Martin said. "I have to earn it. He was pretty straight up with me. But he and I have the same mentality.''

Martin will always have the affinity for Baylor because the coaching staff offered him as a freshman. He said he wants to continue to be one of those recruits who are trend setters for this program.

This spring, he's not running any of the spring events. He's running the 4x400, 4x100 and 4x200 relay squads.

Baylor in Top 5 for Wallace

After a recent decision to reopen his recruitment and de-commit from Texas Tech, DeSoto (Texas) athlete Tristen Wallace is focused on five programs and lists Baylor among his top choices.

"I just wanted to make sure that I was making the best decision for myself," Wallace said. "I wanted to take a look at all of my options before making my final decision. The coaches at Tech and I have stayed in communication and I'm going to get out there for a visit sometime soon, just not sure on the date right now."

Wallace currently lists a top five and remains open to competition at whichever college he chooses in the end.

"My top five as of right now is Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas and Ohio State," Wallace said. "That is subject to change, but those are the schools that stand out to me the most right now. My recruitment is open and I will see where things go with these five programs.

"Most of the schools are recruiting me to play quarterback," Wallace said. "Baylor is the only program in my top five recruiting me as an athlete. Every other school sees me playing quarterback and I don't care if a school already has a 2016 quarterback commit. I'm open to competition at any school that I decide to attend."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound prospect holds an offer from the Baylor coaches and has already taken a visit to the program earlier this year.

"I have been talking with Baylor since early January," Wallace said. "The coaches offered me as an athlete, no specific position and they are the only school recruiting me as an athlete.

"I actually visited Baylor last season and had been recruited by coach (Phil) Montgomery before he left for Tulsa. He was still the offensive coordinator and showed me a lot about the passing game at Baylor. I don't have a relationship with coach (Kendal) Briles or coach (Art) Briles yet."

Once coach Montgomery left for Tulsa, Wallace started hearing from Baylor running backs and passing game coordinator Jeff Lebby.

"Me and coach Lebby get along very well," Wallace said. "He's a very good coach and shows me some of the stuff they have been doing at Baylor recently. We talk at least once a week.

"The Baylor coaches tell me they really like my athleticism and my build. They were also impressed how I came back from the ankle injury this season and told me that it says a lot about me as a player."

Wallace has already taken visits to three of the schools in his current top five and plans to see the others in the near future.

"I might be visiting Baylor again this week for the Friday Night Lights scrimmage, but I'm not sure yet," Wallace said. "I have taken visits to TCU and Texas this offseason too. I'm going up to visit Ohio State at the end of this month and should be visiting Texas Tech sometime soon."

The standout athlete remains open in his recruitment and wants to make a final decision when he makes another commitment.

"I haven't really thought about making a commitment again, but will most likely be making a decision before my senior season," Wallace said. "I want to visit each program and learn more about the opportunities before making a commitment. I like things about all of these programs and have a good relationship with each coaching staff."

Before going down with the ankle injury in week two this past season, Wallace was 18 of 25 passing for 406 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions. He had also rushed for 243 yards and four touchdowns in those two first games.

Wallace returned to action this past November in a first round playoff game to lead DeSoto to victory over Coppell, throwing for 75 yards and rushing for 183 yards with three touchdowns.

A three-star prospect, Wallace is rated as the No. 35 overall athlete prospect in the nation and the No. 41 prospect in the Rivals Texas Postseason Top 100 for the 2016 class.

Wallace will compete at the Rivals Camp in Dallas on Sunday, March 29th.

-Matt Clare

Baseball: vs. West Virginia

The Bears (7-13, 0-3) play their second Big 12 series of the season as they entertain West Virginia (9-8, 1-2) for a three game series at Baylor Ballpark.

This is a series the Bears have to win in the worst way. They have lost 11 of their last 12. Remember, Friday's game was moved to 3:30 p.m. because of the inclement weather forecast. Head coach Steve Smith made some changes on his weekend rotation.

Friday 3:30 pm: Baylor LHP Daniel Castano (1-3, 2.52 ERA) vs. West Virginia RHP Conner Dotson (0-1, 2.30)

Saturday 3:00 pm: Baylor RHP Austin Stone (0-2, 9.20) vs. West Virginia LHP Ross Vance (2-1, 2.78)

Sunday 1:00 pm: Baylor RHP Drew Tolson (0-3, 4.76) vs. West Virginia RHP Chad Donato (2-3, 1.74).

Emptying the Notebook

>There should many of the 2015 signees in attendance at Friday night lights including Waco Midway linebacker Lenoy Jones, Rowlett punter Drew Galitz and Fort Bent Ridge Point DB Jordan Tolbert.

>Keep an eye on Dallas Wilson's Green. He said he's really interested in meeting the coaches. Green is an emerging prospect. In limited time in 2014, he had nine carries for 54 yards.

>DFW/Waco-area trainer Margin Hunt is having another combine on Sunday at Waco La Vega High School. La Vega TE Kedrick James (Baylor offer) and Richardson 2016 wide receiver Khalil Lacy (Baylor interest) are expected to highlight the attendees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News