ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: July 18, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Final Camp

Baylor's final open camp will be held on campus on Friday. As usual, the offensive and defensive linemen session runs from 1-4 pm. The skill camp is from 3-6 pm. Here is the list of notable players who are expected to attend.

>Marquez Stevenson, WR, Shreveport (LA) Northwood - 2016

>La'Dante Daventport, DT, Shreveport (LA) Northwood - 2015 (committed to La. Tech)

>Isaiah Chambers, DE, Houston MacArthur - 2016 (Baylor offer)

>J.P. Urquidez, OL, Dematha Catholic (MD) - 2016 (Baylor offer)

>D'Eriq King, DB, Manvel - 2016 (Baylor offer)

>Austin Meyers, OL, Manvel - 2016

>Clay Johnston, LB, Abilene Wylie - 2015 (Baylor commit)

>Chad President, QB, Temple - 2015 (Baylor commit)

>Josh Woriboko, OL, Oklahoma City Casady - 2015 (he said he might)

>Iyare B.J. Ojo, LB, Houston Lamar - 2015

>Obi Eboh, DB, Southlake Carroll - 2016

>Jordan Tolbert, DB, FB Ridge Point - 2015 (Baylor commit. Won't go through it because of the ACL injury)

>Sam Tecklenburg, OL, Plano - 2015 (Baylor commit)

>Andre Sanders, Ath, Abilene Cooper - 2015

>Jaron Barnett, Ath, Abilene Cooper - 2015

>Billy Allen, Abilene Cooper - 2015

>Aaron Anderson, Ath, Abilene Cooper - 2016

>Josh Hale, LB, Abilene Cooper - 2015

>Darrion McClendon, S, Waco La Vega -- 2016

Note:
Corpus Christi Flour Bluff DB Jalen Campbell changed his plans and will go to TCU Friday. The lack of a Baylor offer probably tipped this, even though he originally thought a strong workout could convince the Baylor staff to offer him.

Campbell said he wants to announce his commitment decision on Aug. 11. He said Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M coaches wanted to see how he performed during the 2014 season before they offered. Given that he was coming off a knee injury and how his commitment to Texas changed once Mack Brown left, he didn't want to wait. You really can't blame him.

Once the camp is underway, we'll get a better idea of who is there beyond what we have reported. We'll also have a camp wrapup late Friday.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Singleton's influence

He's been away from Port Arthur Memorial for nearly three years. But Terrence Singleton's legacy has maintained and influenced younger players coming through the program.

When 2016 running back Kameron Martin committed to Baylor on Tuesday, he spoke of what Singleton meant to not only him but the Memorial program and the Port Arthur community.

"We knew he was going to be a money player in college,'' Martin said. "He was a player who worked hard. He was a role model to kids like us. You could just tell that he knew what it was going to take to get to the next level.''

Singleton played quarterback at Memorial but Baylor saw his future at a different position in the secondary. When spring practice finished on April 5, he emerged as a starting cornerback.

The Bears are still in the running for Martin's 2015 teammate, running back Corey Dauphine who is deciding between them, Texas Tech (soft commit) Texas A&M and some late interest from Florida.

Dauphine and Singleton live in the same apartment complex in Port Arthur and know each other pretty well. Dauphine said that he looked at Singleton as a mentor.

"It's just that Terrence knew what he had to do to get to play in college,'' Port Arthur Memorial coach Kenny Harrison said. "He proved that if you work hard in the classroom and on the field, you'll get your chance.''

Martin said Singleton's presence at Baylor wasn't a factor in why he committed to the program. But it also doesn't hurt that Singleton is there.

"He's a big brother to me,'' Martin said. "He's the reason why I want to stay focused.''

Martin said he plans on attending Baylor's first fall practice on Aug. 4.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A homecoming of sorts

Memphis Harding Academy offensive tackle Will Lawrence has yet to enjoy his first day of high school. But it's clear the 2018 Tennessee native could have his pick of schools by the time he is a senior.

Having played one year of varsity football as an 8th grader (Tennessee state law allows that if the middle school/junior high is on the same grounds as the high school), Lawrence's national reputation is expanding. He spent last weekend competing at the Rivals Underclassmen Challenge in Jacksonville. Lawrence won all four of his OL/DL matchups. And at 6-4, 260, he probably still hasn't finished growing.

"It was so much fun. I had an amazing time,'' Lawrence said. "My goal was to do as good as I could and hold my own. But I surpassed it.''

Continuing the Lawrence name at Baylor would be something to consider. His father Tom and mother Cindy each graduated from Baylor in 1989. This is the younger Lawrence's first visit to Baylor since the homecoming game of 2013 against Iowa State.

Of course, so much has changed since he was last in Waco especially with the construction of McLane Stadium. Lawrence has already secured his first offer from Cincinnati. A strong showing could give the Baylor coaching staff cause to extend one.

"I really want to show them what I'm capable of doing,'' Will said. "I want to win my one on ones. It should be a great opportunity.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Louisiana lightning

Shreveport (LA) Northwood 2016 wide receiver Marquez Stevenson has the size (5-11, 170) that Baylor craves at the slot position.

That's why Randy Clements offered him on May 1. But for the first time, Stevenson will find out what's behind the offer when he attends Baylor's camp in Waco. Admittedly, Stevenson doesn't know much about the Bears coaching staff. Friday should reveal more.

"I've heard a lot about the coaches and the program,'' he said. "It's kind of fact finding for me. I want to see how the campus is laid out and just getting to know the coaches and the program a little better. I know the school is known for their receivers.''

Besides Baylor, Stevenson has offers from TCU, Mississippi State and Memphis. His speed speaks for itself as he ran a 4.43 40 at a Mississippi State camp. In Northwood's offense, the staff used him on jet sweeps and slant patterns. But there was a transfer that could cause Stevenson to move to the outside receiver position this fall.

Steven has heard how Baylor's camp will involve a lot of different type of drill work as wide receivers will go against defensive backs. He's looking forward to the challenge.

"I just want to focus and be ready,'' Stevenson said.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Vital's future clouded

When the TEA informed Dallas Prime Prep Academy on Wednesday that it was moving toward revoking the school's charter, that impacted a lot of people, especially the athletes.

It also impacts Baylor to a lesser extent. Small forward Mark Vital, No. 48 in the 2016 Rivals 150, just transferred from Lake Charles (LA) in the spring. With the school's future unknown, we've learned that Vital probably will not be heading back to Lake Charles to continue his high school career.

What we do know is that no decisions will be made until after Prime Prep files its appeal. That is due on July 30. If the appeal is accepted, then Vital will remain at the school.

If it is denied, then other arrangements will be made. We do know that Vital likely will stick around in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Vital is spending this weekend at Under Armour Finals in Atlanta.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Moore not ready to quit on Baylor

David Moore is smart enough to know that if Baylor has one quarterback already committed for the 2016 class, it's not very likely the Bears will take another. But he hasn't given up hope just yet.

"Baylor kind of fell off a little bit," he said. "They got a commitment obviously, so it's kind of tough for them to want to reach out to another quarterback. But they still keep in contact and I still like them a lot."

Moore doesn't have an offer, and he won't get one today since he's not attending Baylor's camp. He's headed up to UAB, the program he says is recruiting him hardest, and said he hopes to leave with an offer. He said Texas Tech and Texas A&M had started recruited him more in the past weeks as well.

Moore, who spent the spring semester competing for the starting job at Denton Guyer, has since transferred back to Prosper, where he played as a sophomore in 2013. He went back to Prosper because his mother is having health problems. Whereas it was a tight battle at Guyer, Moore expects to be the starter at Prosper.

"If my mom's health was better obviously I would've stayed at Guyer, but I'm excited to go back to Prosper," he said. "We didn't have best season last year so I think they're looking forward to me coming in and leading them. We're going to make a run at it."
-Jake Shaw

Emptying the Notebook

>Construction is underway on the 16 boat slips that will front McLane Stadium on the Brazos River. They are expected to be completed by the Aug. 31 opener against SMU. By the way, the lights were turned on at the stadium on Thursday.

>Do not expect Baylor's future out of conference schedule to change. At this time, there is nothing in the works about getting out of an agreement with another school in order to schedule a home-and-home with a P5 school.

>Baylor continues a healthy and productive dialogue with Cibolo Steele 2016 DE Mark Jackson. Steele coaches have told us that Baylor has made a good impression. Baylor offered Jackson back in the spring.

>White Settlement Brewer athlete Chris Gibson said he spoke with Baylor RB coach Jeff Lebby earlier this week and said that Lebby told him they were going to continue to watch him. Gibson is an interesting athlete who has pretty good speed. But schools want to know more about him. He has an offer from Illinois State but D1 offers should be coming soon.

>It still has a pulse. Dallas Skyline LB Anthony Wheeler said he has been direct messaging with Baylor coaches recently and said he is still considering the Bears.

>Make of it what you will but we checked with Mesquite Poteet LB Malik Jefferson. Jefferson is not planning on coming to Baylor's camp Friday and does not have a visit date worked out with the staff as of yet. Jefferson said before he went to The Opening he was hoping to get to Baylor for the Friday camp.

>The Texas Titans - filled with Baylor commit King McClure and targets D.J. Hogg, Marques Bolden and Tyler Davis won their first two games Thursday at the EYBL Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C. The tournament continues through Sunday.

>Don't forget that Meet the Bears will be Saturday, Aug. 9 at the Highers Athletics Complex.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News