ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: July 1, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

2025 QB impresses at BU camp

It’s never too early for college programs to invest in quarterbacks who still have several varsity seasons in front of them.

That’s the story with Prosper Rock Hill 2025 quarterback Kevin Sperry. The unique story to him is that this coming fall will be his first year to play varsity. He has picked up nine offers because of what was seen in the May evaluation period and the camp season. Baylor jumped into the race with its offer following the June 24 camp.

“I think my accuracy helped with their decision,’’ Sperry said. “But I think it mostly came from film from last season and spring practice. [Quarterbacks Coach] Shawn Bell came to one of our spring practices. He said that he was very impressed and loved watching me play.”

Sperry put together a JV season in 2021 that’s rarely seen. He threw for 2,349 yards and 27 touchdowns against just three interceptions. It’s not often that someone who has yet to take a varsity snap would receive this kind of attention. But that’s what research and evaluations are designed to produce.

He used the camp time – really allocated it – to work one-on-one with Bell. Call it nearly a pseudo private instruction setting. It was a chance to work with someone who went through the wars of the college game. Sperry said the drills where he believed he excelled were the one on ones and routes in the air. He was challenged by a drill that demanded elbow elevation.

“It was great. He gave me some great tips to take back home and work on,’’ Sperry said. “I also got a good feel for what he tells his QB’s when they are being coached. I felt like it was organized pretty well. I got a lot of quality reps.”

The offer list for Sperry has the likes of Texas A&M, Florida State and SMU on it. It’s only going to grow from there. Should Sperry help this new program in the Frisco ISD to new heights, that only helps.

“My strengths are leading by example, making my teammates and the people around me better,’’ Sperry said. “I can stay in the pocket to make fast and intelligent decisions. I can also escape the pocket, to make accurate passes or run the ball. I can’t think of anything specifically to improve on, but I just want to improve on all parts of my game.”

Expect Sperry to return to Baylor at some point including the 2022 season for a game or two.

The Hoosier State-Waco connection
So why would someone from Indianapolis make the time to come to Baylor to go through a camp when there are others closer to him?

Family.

That’s why Indianapolis Warren Central 2024 athlete Jo’Ziah Edmond came to Baylor to go through its camp last week. He walked away with an offer.

“Came down to visit family and my mom just booked the camp and with ppl from home saying I was wasting my time no one from Indiana has gotten an offer in over 20 years pushed me even harder.”

Well, whether that’s accurate or not is another story. It really doesn’t matter. The point is that Edmond showcased his skills in front of the Baylor coaches and demonstrated he was worthy. Interest is growing as Ole Miss and Purdue have also offered.

Edmond said he really didn’t work a lot with the on-field staff. However, there was enough that was evaluated from film for Baylor extend. Baylor worked him out at wide receiver.

“I did really well at all the stations and killed on one on ones,’’ he said. “My routes were clean, and I finished all catches.’’

Edmond was just breaking into the varsity in 2021. He finished with seven catches for 71 yards. However, this spring has been important for his recruitment. He is currently the No. 4 player rated in Indiana.

“What made them pull the trigger on me is because my leadership and effort I put in on the field,’’ he said.

This Bridge(s) isn’t too far
Baylor’s passion for locking down a good number of Central Texas’ top talent will never stop. The latest pursuit is for Lake Belton 2024 defensive back Selman Bridges. The Bears offered him following the June 24 camp.

What helps Baylor and any coaching staff evaluating players is learning if the prospect has legit speed. When he ran his 40 at the combine portion of the camp, Bridges finished with roughly a 4.4.

“My 40 was an eye opener,’’ Bridges said. “And once they seen me in position group getting out of breaks smooth was really when the trigger [to extend the offer] was pulled.’’

For someone at 6-4 to run a 40 with that kind of time is pretty impressive. That’s a lot of moving parts. But Bridges, teammate of former Baylor 2023 commit Javeon Wilcox, is only getting started. He has offers from the Bears, Texas Tech and UTSA.

He started to break on to scene in 2021 appearing in eight games with 25 tackles along with an interception and a couple of PBUs. Bridges worked with defensive backs coach Kevin Curtis.

“I like the way he coaches,’’ Bridges said. “He makes sure everyone knows what’s going on and making sure there always pushing themselves. He likes that I’m long and fast so I can cover a lot of ground and my hips are smooth and I can accelerate coming out of a break.’’

Bridges is like a lot of young and tall defensive backs who are just understanding how to play to the strengths of their body. The ceiling is pretty high for him. It’s a matter of understand how to use all of it to be consistent.

“I feel I that if I work on being patient and getting hands on [the ball] will really mess up the timing so I feel that’s what I can improve on,’’ he said.

Expect Bridges to return to Baylor at some point of the 2022 football season to take in a game or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News