ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Jan. 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

The Topper

The No. 21 men's basketball team (14-4, 2-3 Big 12) begins a stretch of playing three of its next four at the Ferrell Center at 5:00 p.m. Saturday against No. 19 Oklahoma. The Bears lost the Big 12 Opener on Jan. 3 in Norman, 73-63.

But in this phase - following Oklahoma, at Oklahoma State (Jan. 27) and home to Texas (Jan. 31) and TCU (Feb. 4), the Bears are in a position where they can make a move in the league standings and put themselves in a solid position when the second half of conference play begins.

The most impressive thing about Rico Gathers' All-Big 12 season is that in his 12.1 rebounds per game average, he's averaging 6.4 defensive boards and 5.7 offensive boards.

-SicEmSports

Baylor meets with Haughton

New Baylor safeties coach Cris Dishman met with Waco Midway safety and Oklahoma commit Kahlil Haughton Thursday night.

The meeting lasted for about one hour. Baylor has been working to keep Haughton in Waco, despite his Dec. 19 announcement that he was committing to Oklahoma.

Dishman joined Baylor's coaching staff on Jan. 14 after spending time as a member of the coaching staff for the San Diego Chargers. Although Dishman's hire may not produce immediate results, long-term results are hoped for from the 13-year NFL veteran.

"He just talked about how much experience he has had in the NFL and what he could do for me,'' Haughton said. "I'm impressed and intrigued by how much experience he has.''

Time will tell if this will be enough to sway Haughton. But it's clear is going to take this to the end.

"It will be in the back of my mind, but I honestly can't tell you much,'' Haughton said. "As of now, I have no intentions of flipping or doing that at the moment.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Official Visitor Weekend

Baylor traditionally runs one official visit weekend in January. Call it the first informal team meeting between the 2015 class and rest of the squad. There are always some late additions. But the goal is continue to bind the players together. So the following is the list of known members of the official visit list. As we have mentioned, the mid-semester enrollees are still allowed to take their official visit.

Note: JUCO offensive linemen Mo Porter[/B], who is expected to sign on Feb. 4 and enroll in the summer, have already taken their official visits.

>Blake Lynch, Athm Gilmer (mid-semester enrollee - considered a signee)

>Jarrett Stidham, QB, Stephenville (mid-semester enrollee - considered a signee)

>Drew Galitz, P/PK, Rowlett (committed to Baylor on Aug. 26, 2014)

>JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview (committed to Baylor on March 29, 2014)

>Jameson Houston, DB, Austin St. Michael's (committed to Baylor on July 30, 2014)

>Clay Johnston, LB, Abilene Wylie (committed to Baylor on June 3, 2014)

>Lenoy Jones, LB, Waco Midway (committed to Baylor on Jan,. 15, 2015)

>J.W. Ketchum, Ath, Houston Lamar (committed to Baylor on Oct. 26, 2014)

>Tony Nicholson, Ath, South Grand Prairie (committed to Baylor on Sept. 21, 2014)

>Eric Ogor, LB, Richmond Foster (committed to Baylor on Jan. 16, 2015)

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (committed to Baylor on Jan. 24, 2014)

>Sam Tecklenburg, TE/OL, Plano (committed to Baylor on April 16, 2014)

>Jordan Tolbert, DB, Fort Bend Ridge Point (committed to Baylor on May 9, 2014)

>Jordan Williams, LB, Paris (committed to Baylor on Jan. 16, 2015)

>Henry Black, DB, Shreveport (LA) Woodlawn (Baylor offer)

>Riley Daniel, OL, Ringling (OK) Ringling HS (Baylor offer)

>Lonzell Gilmore, DE, Spring (Baylor offer)

Notable:
At first, it appeared that Gilmore had firmed up his commitment to Texas Tech when he visited last week. However, Baylor's coaches continued to work through the greater Houston area pretty hard and appeared to find a way to stay in Gilmore's thought process…Houston took an official visit to Kansas State last weekend but everything we learned suggested he was going to stay true to his commitment…Black and Daniel took official visits to Texas Tech last week. Now, it's Baylor's turn. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with those two respective decisions.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Johnston open to anything

All Abilene Wylie LB Clay Johnston had to do was run for more than 1,000 yards and potentially change what the Baylor coaching staff thinks of him.

Johnston (6-2, 210) went through a very productive 2014 on both sides of the ball. Originally, Baylor thought of him as a linebacker. But given that the program collected LB commitments from Eric Ogor, Lenoy Jones and Jordan Williams, it could potentially open other possibilities.

"I know that they have told that I'm a dynamic player,'' Johnston said. "Really, I'm just going to go with the flow. I could be a nickel back. The way I ran the ball, they could have seen that I'm more athletic than first thought or I could go to middle linebacker.

"I'm not 100 percent. It doesn't sound like a set position. I could see coach [Art] Briles pulling a little something.''

In 2014, he rushed for 1,007 yards and collected 51 tackles as Wylie finished 10-3. Johnston said he is not going through track this offseason. Instead he is training with his father Kent, who is a trainer for the San Diego Chargers. His 40 time is just a shade below 4.6, but Johnston believes refining technique can sharpen that time.

What Baylor doesn't have to worry about is his loyalty. That was set in June when he committed.

"I'm really excited about the official visit this weekend and seeing the guys,'' he said. "Right now, I just want to maintain my weight and continue to gain speed.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Seeing miles and miles of Texas

It really didn't take long for Murrieta (CA) Mesa offensive lineman Nathan Smith to identify why Baylor's football program is continuing to make the climb as a national power.

Smith spent Thursday morning visiting with head coach Art Briles, offensive line coach Randy Clements and several others of the Baylor staff taking a tour of the campus. That trip also included a walk through McLane Stadium.

"It seems like a competitive atmosphere,'' Smith said. "The staff knows what they're doing, and pushing people the right way. They want to win championships. You can see that.''

Smith saw the 2013 and 2014 Big 12 champion signs posted on the Allison Indoor Practice Facility. But he valued the 30-minute conversation with Briles. The Bears were one of the first programs to offer him including Missouri and most recently Colorado State.

"Coach Clements told me I have the perfect built to play offensive tackle,'' Smith said. "I have wide shoulders and a pretty good wingspan. And he liked my explosiveness.''

This is going to be a pretty intense three weeks for Smith. After his visit to Baylor, he went to Texas A&M for a couple of hours and plans on visiting SMU Friday. Next week, he's planning a trip to South Carolina, Clemson and North Carolina State. The following week is a trip to Oregon.

To be sure, the Baylor trip resulted in more than what Smith expected.

"I was actually blown away,'' he said. "I was pretty shocked how big everything thing. I was pretty shocked. Everybody was pretty friendly. I can't explain. But this went better than I expected. I could see myself playing there.''

It's too early to say if Smith will return in the summer for Baylor's camps. However, he said it will be under consideration.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Offer catches LB off guard

After collecting 109 tackles as a junior at Fort Bend Hightower, it's obviously hard to get much past 2016 LB Clifton Lewis. But Baylor managed to surprise him on Thursday, becoming the first to offer the three-star prospect.

"I got the offer (Thursday) morning and I was really surprised," he said. "It was my first offer and I was just surprised."

Lewis will act on that offer by attending Baylor's first junior day -- "I don't know a lot but about Baylor but I know that have a new stadium that's really cool" -- and added that he wants to see the whole campus and get to know the coaches, including his lead recruiter, Jim Gush.

But he's in no hurry. He's going to Oklahoma State's junior day this weekend (his brother, Shaun, was all-conference there), is hearing from the likes to LSU, Oklahoma and Washington, and will camp all around the country this summer. Baylor will stay on him, though, as will we.

-Jake Shaw

From both sides

There really was no contact between South Grand Prairie's Greg Eisworth and Baylor. Even though the Bears had long secured the commitment of teammate Tony Nicholson in September, Eisworth didn appear to be on the radar.

That changed on Tuesday when Jeff Lebby watched Eisworth (6-0, 180) go through a workout and then offered moments later. As has been reported, the offer is for safety.

"Really, the day I started talking to them was when they offered,'' Eisworth said. "I talked a little bit during the junior season but not much. I just watched Baylor kind of like any other school. Now, I'll start watching them more.''

Eisworth has an invite to the Jan. 31 Junior Day and was considering going to Oklahoma State's junior day this weekend. He said he's talking quite a bit with Texas and Stanford. It could be a matter of time before either or both offer.

After spending his sophomore year at safety and returning punts, he mainly played quarterback for the Warriors in 2014. But when it became necessary, Eisworth went into the secondary, especially when SGP played DeSoto, Cedar Hill and then in the playoffs against Euless Trinity. In limited time - try about 15-20 plays - Eisworth collected an interception and about five pass breakups. He even went against Cedar Hill WR DaMarkus Lodge.

"I think schools are looking at my speed, agility and ability to play the ball in the air,'' Eisworth said. "My feeling is that wherever I'm put, I'm going to go 100 percent. That's in practice or outside of practice. But I'm going to work until I'm successful.''

Playing quarterback could be a difference maker when he transitions to college. Playing under center and looking at the secondary gives him two sets of eyes.

"Just seeing the receivers run the routs and breaking on the ball,'' he said. "It was so much easier. I think it improves my chances when I'm breaking on the ball.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

This and That

>Fort Bend Marshall 2016 defensive back Benjie Franklin has the speed (4.4) to catch a lot of people's attention. Baylor and Kansas were his first offers within the last two weeks. Baylor has invited Franklin to its junior day, and Franklin said he plans on attending.

"It was a bit of surprise when my DB coach told me coach [Carlton] Buckels offered,'' Franklin said. "I don't know much about Baylor. I'm just starting to get to know them.''

Franklin plans to be on the track team in the 100 and 200 relay events. Asked about a scouting report, he said he thinks his strength is working strong in press and man coverage and attacking the ball. He's using the offseason to improve the way he comes out of his break and his backpedaling.

>Just call Houston Bellaire 2016 wide receiver Courtney Lark at game changer. With his offer list building, he has the resume to attract them. He had 1,138 receiving yards but averaged 19.6 yards per reception including and 16 scores.

Back in October, he felt like Texas Tech was starting to separate. But Baylor has continued to make its push. Kendal Briles stopped by Thursday to encourage him to attend junior day.

"I haven't committed yet to it currently,'' Lark said. "I'm just kind of neutral about everything right now.''

At this point, it appears Baylor may take two or three wide receivers with this class. The program still continues to keep things close with Sachse's Devin Duvernay. Whatever the outcome, Lark's versatility makes him attractive.

"I've played both inside and outside and don't have a preference,'' Lark said. "But what I like about watching [Baylor's wide receivers] is their speed and how precise they run their routs.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor first to offer … more should come

He has the physique of an NFL player, yet he's only just now finishing his sophomore year in high school. That Kendrick James, a 2017 TE out of nearby Waco La Vega, is so big and strong already has been a major shock to Margin Hooks, a Wacoan and former BYU standout who's now a personal trainer in the area.

"I haven't ever seen anyone at that age with that size and agility he has," Hooks said. "He has a huge upside."

James played his sophomore year at La Vega at tight end. But at 6-5, 250, he has room to grow. Also a basketball player, Hooks said James has the ability to grow into the blindside protector.

"I think right now he can be projected, to me, as an athletic offensive tackle," he said. "He has that type of length. He's very athletic for his size."

Baylor became the first to offer, doing so just after the calendar turned to 2015.

"It was a shock to him," Hooks said. "You've got a kid who's a sophomore around older guys getting recruited, then suddenly he's the one with the big offer. Right after he got it, I talked to him a little bit, and told him with an offer comes expectations. You're going to be watched all the time. Now it's not just Baylor, it will be every school."

Hooks has little doubt about James's future on the football field. So, for now, he's just making sure James stays level-headed with attention sure to spike, especially now that Baylor's offer will push him deeper onto the radar.

"He really doesn't know what he has in front of him yet," Hooks said. "He's still finding himself. He has some maturing to do, just everyday school life. Sometimes these early offers can blow up for the kid. I'm teaching him to be humble and stay hungry."

-Jake Shaw

Emptying the Notebook

>Paris LB Jordan Williams and Richmond Foster LB Eric Ogor did receive their Rivals ratings. Each received two stars with a 5.4 rating. A 3-star rating starts at 5.5. It was actually pretty fair given how little notice there was on their recruitment and their commitment to Baylor. Plus, they had committed to Baylor after the Rivals staff had met last week to set the final ratings/rankings for the 2015 class.

>Speaking of ratings, there was no change with any of the other Baylor 2015 commitments. J.W. Ketchum remains a 4 star with a 5.8 rating.

>Keep an eye on Arp defensive end Tyrone Hunt. He's currently committed to UT-San Antonio. But he could be an option if Baylor is still in the market for a defensive end.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News