ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 21, 2020

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Game of the 2019-20 season Tale of the Tape:
In front of more than expected packed house at 11:00 a.m. at the Ferrell Center (ESPN), No. 1 Baylor (24-1, 13-0) puts its Big 12-record 23-game winning streak on the line against No. 3 Kansas (23-3, 12-1).

Along with Baylor’s streak, Kansas has won 11 consecutive games. Its last loss was Jan. 11 against Baylor at the Allen Fieldhouse.

A look at these teams.

PPG
Baylor –
71.2 Kansas – 75.5

PPG defense
Baylor –
58.2 Kansas – 60.7

Shooting
Baylor –
43.1 Kansas – 48.8

3-point shooting
Baylor –
35.0 Kansas – 35.5

Shooting defense
Baylor –
38.2 Kansas – 37.4

3-point shooting defense
Baylor –
30.3 Kansas – 29.8

Free throw shooting
Baylor –
69.5 Kansas – 66.2

Rebounding margin
Baylor –
+4.9 Kansas – +6.4

Assist/Turnover ratio
Baylor –
1.2 Kansas – 1.1

The other bench
SicEmSports and our Kansas Rivals colleagues at Jayhawk Slant exchanged answers on our takes leading up to Saturday’s game. Here’s what we asked Jayhawk Slant along with how we answered their questions.

SicEmSports to Jayhawk Slant

SicEmSports: What did the Jayhawks take from that first meeting with the Bears and learn from it? How have they changed?
Jayhawk Slant: Kansas is a much better team, especially defensively, this time around. The offense is completely different this time around and have gone away from the two big man lineup. There's no doubt that this Kansas team is a completely different team. With Udoka Azubuike down low and the added dimension of the 3-point shot.

SicEmSports: Since KU lost Silvio DeSousa until the finale at Texas Tech has this team had to play differently or has much changed?
Jayhawk Slant: This team hasn't done anything differently since losing Solvio De Sousa. He wasn't playing much and, truth be told, he wasn't much of a factor at all this season. Now, since David McCormick has returned from his 2 game suspension, Kansas has gone small instead of playing two bigs, which has been a great success.

SicEmSports: What do you think (or does KU think) its guards in Dotson and Garrett believe they're going to have to do to find some weaknesses in Baylor's defense?
Jayhawk Slant: A healthy Dotson and a much improved Garrett won't change the way they play based on one matchup. Garrett will look to wreak havoc on the defensive end of the court while attacking the basket and getting teammates involved. Dotson will look to push the ball down hill, hit some shots, get teammates involved and defend. Both will need to be successful on both ends if Kansas is to be successful.

SicEmSports: Finish this sentence - Kansas will win this because...
Jayhawk Slant: Kansas will win this because the Jayhawks are a much improved team. The Jayhawks are hitting shots from behind the arc, have the best big man in college basketball, and might be the best defensive team in college basketball. If Kansas can avoid foolish turnovers, hit some shots, defend and get Azubuike involved, they've got a great chance.

Jayhawk Slant to SicEmSports

Jayhawk Slant:
What has been the biggest key to Baylor's amazing start?
SicEmSports: It's been the defense. As KU saw on Jan. 11 in the Allen Fieldhouse the footwork, communication off switches and effort is an unlike anything Scott Drew has fielded. They are a great rebounding team. They also have one of the best Alphas in the game in sophomore guard Jared Butler who understands game situations very well. He's been a Kansas killer early in his career.

Jayhawk Slant: What is the mood of the team/fans headed into the Kansas game?
SicEmSports: Everyone is confident. They should be. They won at KU for the first time ever - that's the game that I think really spring boarded this run - it's at home, the de facto Big 12 championship is on the line and if they get guard MaCio Teague (missed the last two games with a right wrist issue) back for this one, they're going to be at full strength.

Jayhawk Slant: What are the biggest keys to the game in your opinion for Baylor?
SicEmSports: It's going to come down to Baylor's quartet of guards - Butler, Teague if he plays, Davion Mitchell (their best on ball defender), and super offensive sub Devonte Bandoo (he would start if Teague can't go) getting quality shots. Baylor just has to play its normal game. It doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on defense or on the glass. My guess is Mitchell will draw Devon Dotson. Mitchell is going to have to make him work for his points.

Jayhawk Slant: How do you see this game playing out?
SicEmSports: I don't see why Baylor won't win this. They've answered every challenge to this point. They have a great resume. I'm sure Kansas likely believes it owes the Bears after what happened in January at home. But that wasn't a fluke. I see Baylor winning this 4-7 points.

He wants more zip
Since announcing his offer from Baylor on Wednesday, Akron grad transfer offensive lineman Brandon Council has been a favorite.

Houston, Illinois, Indiana and Texas Tech have all reached out to and offered Council, who would have two years of eligibility remaining. The Zips mainstay to its offensive line caught a break in the first year of the four-game redshirt rule (2018). He suffered a season ending injury after three games, therefore keeping that season.

Baylor sees him at right guard.

“I do plan on making a visit,’’ said Council, who has been talking to Baylor Director of Recruiting James Blanchard and offensive line coach Joe Wickline. “I don’t have anything set right now. I can play anywhere. But they seem to like me in that spot.’’

Baylor went through four different starters at right guard between Princeton Pines (now in the NCAA transfer portal), Xavier Newman, Sam Tecklenburg and Jason Moore. There could more shifting in the offensive line that went through a wholesale of struggles in 2019 including 38 sacks.

Council was lightly recruited. Really lightly recruited. His only offer came the day he signed with Akron in 2016.

“I want to see competitors and people who want to win,’’ Council said. “I want to see just who is nasty on the field. I want to win championships.’’

2021 commit catching up
West Orange-Stark linebacker and 2021 commit Tyrone Brown has been using the past couple of weeks getting to know the new Baylor staff.
Brown, who committed to Matt Rhule’s staff last Oct. 27, said he has been in touch with the entire coaching staff. However, he’s made it a point to get to know new head coach Dave Aranda. Brown plans to attend the March 1 Junior Day on the Baylor campus.

“I’ve talked and texted with everybody on the staff,’’ Brown said. “Since they came from LSU, it’s a good sign coming off a national title. “They told me what I’ll be doing when I get there. But it don’t seem like it’ll be too different from what Rhule was trying to do.’’

Brown picked up an offer from Texas State earlier in the week. But it would seem at this point there’s not going to be too much poking around from other schools.

His early conversations with Aranda have given Brown a lot of confidence that he will playing for a program where defense will be at the forefront.

“He’s a defensive genius,’’ Brown said. “He’s one of the best in the business. And I’m familiar with a defensive minded coach so it’ll be easier for me.’’

Quick notables
>Weatherford 2021 safety/wide receiver Cicero Caston is planning to attend the March 1 Junior Day. The Bears offered him Feb. 11. While viewed as a two-way player, Baylor is among those who prefer him to play in the secondary. He’s visited Baylor on several occasions.

>Kennedale 2021 safety and Rivals No. 112 prospect JD Coffey, the holder of 28 known offers, said he plans to attend the March 1 Junior Day. That is big news for Baylor considering the Rivals FutureCast has him going to Texas.

Baseball plays host to Oral Roberts
The Bears (3-1) take on the Titans (2-2) for a three-game series Friday-Sunday at Baylor Ballpark. Baylor is in the midst of playing its first eight games of the season at home before it heads to Minute Maid Park in Houston to compete in the Shriner’s Hospital for Children College Classic on Feb. 26.

Early stats are like volatile stocks. The Bears are averaging more than eight runs per game. Since surrendering 19 in the opener to Nebraska, Baylor has allowed just nine in the last three and two in the last two. Baylor’s team ERA is 6.17 hindered by the opener against the Cornhuskers. However, there are a couple of encouraging early numbers with 32 strikeouts in 35 innings and allowing only four unearned runs.

Pitching Matchups
Friday, 6:35 p.m.:
Baylor SR LHP Paul Dickens (0-0, 12.46 ERA) vs. ORU JR RHP A.J. Archambo (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Saturday, 2:00 p.m.: Baylor FR LHP Evan Godwin (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. ORU RS-SR RHP Tanner Rogen (0-1, 4.70 ERA)
Sunday, 1:00 p.m.: SR RHP Hayden Kettler (1-0, 3.60 ERA) vs. ORU JR RHP James Notary (0-1, 1.69 ERA)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News