ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 21, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Cordell Dorsey: The latest

On Thursday, Abilene Cooper linebacker Cordell Dorsey was no billed by a grand jury, which meant there wasn't sufficient evidence to move forward on the sexual assault charges that were filed in September.

Dorsey had been committed to Baylor since late May but we removed him from the 2014 commitment list after the charges were filed. He was originally going to be a mid-semester transfer in January after graduating in December (he did do that).

As for his situation at Baylor, it's really too early to say where this is going. Baylor had been in communication with him every so often since his arrest. We know the Baylor coaching staff continues to evaluate him and this situation. A source told us Baylor mentioned the idea of Dorsey gray shirting in 2014 and arriving on campus for the spring semester of 2015. But that was more of a suggestion.

The other scenario is whether Baylor would treat Dorsey similarly to Wylie's T'Kevian Rockwell. Rockwell didn't sign with Baylor on Feb. 5 and is trying to raise his standardized test score so he would be able to sign.

Roster attrition later in the spring could impact Rockwell's arrival. Should Baylor want to push forward after doing all of its homework, then it could do the same with Dorsey. The earliest Dorsey could arrive is the first summer session in June.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Brown reflects on visit

For a first visit to Baylor, it could not have gone any better for Louis Brown. The rising Burton 2015 athlete visited Baylor on Thursday and came away with very good impression. He did not commit, but that was not a surprise.

"The thing I really liked was all of the coaches,'' Brown said. "They could talk to me as someone they really wanted instead of just another guy. I really like all of their learning facilities and everybody with the program like the tutors. You could tell they were there for you and want to help you with your grades.''

Brown's recruitment likely will continue to escalate. He is scheduled to go to Texas' junior day on Sunday. Texas A&M is also firmly in the mix.

But for now, Baylor did what it needed to do on Burton. He will give them more consideration.

"They stand out to me more,'' Brown said, "because of the way they made me feel.''

Brown said he plans on attending some spring practices and the April 6 spring game.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Gilder taking his time

There's no question Baylor's 2015 basketball class is going to need some solid guards. One of those candidates is Dallas Madison's Admon Gilder. He holds a Baylor offer and is ranked No. 123 in the Rivals 150.

The sharpshooter, who has Madison in the Class 3A state playoffs, had a moment to spend with Baylor assistant Jerome Tang who visited the school on Tuesday. The Trojans beat Anna in the bi-district round, 82-35. Gilder (6-2, 180) had 18, which is actually a little below his average of 25.2 points per game. But he's also about the entire floor averaging 6.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.

"Coach Tang is a real straight guy and pretty funny,'' Gilder said. "We talk about two times a week. I feel like I have a good relationship with him.''

Gilder burst onto the scene drilling 4-5 3-pointers per game as a fresham. But he's become the center of attention. More teams will extend the defense on him to limit his deep looks. He understands how popularity will be a problem.

"I'm facing a lot of Box and 1s so I have to adjust my game,'' he said. "I'm really trying to work on my shot at the elbow and also getting to the rim. I'm really trying to work on being more explosive and my speed ready for the college game.''

Gilder knows Baylor has been through an up-and-down 2013-14 season but realizes that basketball can be like that.

"I'm glad they offered,'' he said. "I have some real interest in them. I got down to see them in the summer. They've been a good program.''

Once the high school season is over, Gilder will move into the AAU season with the Dallas Mustangs.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Interest is not reciprocal
In the last couple of weeks, programs like Alabama, Florida and LSU have sent out feelers to Troup ATH Blake Lynch, a Baylor commitment as you know, about his interest in their programs. From what he told me Thursday night, those programs probably didn't like what they heard back.

"I have no interest in all these other colleges looking at me," Lynch said. "I'm pretty solid to Baylor right now. I was asked by LSU's offensive coordinator (Cam Cameron) to come down to Baton Rouge and visit LSU, but I'm not sure I want to. My parents might want me to just to get out and enjoy the recruiting process, but I'm not sure if I'll do it."

I asked him if, at the very least, it's a confidence boost to hear from some of the traditionally strong programs.

"I'm just a high school kid playing football and being the best I can be," he said after pausing to think about the question. "I'm not really cocky. I try to stay humble and don't pay attention to all the media stuff like other kids do."

He might not make it to LSU, but Lynch said he wants to visit a couple more times this spring. His head coach at Troup, Dennis Alexander, is good friends with Phil Bennett, whose brother, Jerry, is the coach at Troup rival Jefferson.

"My head and coach Bennett are really close friends," Lynch said. "Coach Bennett and coach bBriles, they called my head coach yesterday and asked about coming to spring practices and the spring game, so I figure I'll get down their soon."

-Jake Shaw

About March 22

We posted the other day that the date is the other junior day. But there should be smaller number of recruits there because Baylor doesn't have that many scholarships to fill.

Among those we know who have been invited and said they will attend are Beaumont Central defensive back P.J. Locke, Allen WR Jalen Guyton, Allen 2016 DB Jaylon Jones and Richardson Berkner DE/LB Trevis Gipson. Once we learn of more names, we'll pass along.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Speaking of Gipson…

When Richardson Berkner's Trevis Gipson went to Baylor's Lake Highlands camp last June, the coaching staff took one look at him and had him work out with the linebackers.

Gipson (6-5, 200) is one of the edge players who can play either at defensive end or linebacker. He primarily played DE for the Rams. But the communication between him and Baylor assistant coach Jim Gush maintained. Now, he's going to Baylor next month.

"I've built up a good relationship with coach Gush,'' Gipson said. "I loved the camp because the coaches had really good communication with us. That's why the drills went well.''

Gipson picked up an offer from Tulsa when he attended a junior day recently. This will be his first trip to Waco. He enjoyed a pretty solid year with eight sacks and recording an interception and fumble recovery.

"I rushed off the edge when we did stunts,'' Gipson said. "They had me moving to defensive end on running situations and dropping me out linebacker on passing situations.''

Obviously, he's hoping Baylor will extend an offer. For now, he's playing basketball with the basketball team, which is currently in the playoffs. Once that season is over, he said he will resume his football offseason.

As you can see, the Bears coaching staff is really favoring perimeter defensive players who offer length and frames that presents possibilities.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A look at the future

Player 1: Baylor is keeping an eye on Spring HS 2017 DT Bravvion Roy (6-2, 300). The story from one of the Spring coaches was that both Randy Clements and Kendal Briles were on campus last May to watch spring workouts.

When the Baylor assistants were told about Roy, they called him over. When he met them, he was told he had an offer from Baylor. Obviously, we'll look a little further into that.

Player 2: Had a chance to watch Trophy Club Byron Nelson play a Class 4A playoff basketball game on Tuesday. The Bobcats won but the story was the transfer of 2016 defensive end Brandon Bowen. At 6-5, 200, he came over from Carrollton Newman Smith because of his mother's work situation. He just became eligible on Monday. Not much is known but I can tell you that watching him go through the game, the first thing that struck me was his wingspan. And his frame is built to where he will add easily.

He should catch some attention when college coaches are passing by in May. From what we heard, he started for the Trojans as a sophomore and was definitely the top player on that team. It sounded like the Newman Smith coaches were pretty crushed to see him leave.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Ratings - Basketball
SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams heading into the weekend.
1. Kansas (20-6/11-2) - Beating Texas Saturday will all but guarantee yet another Big 12 regular season championship.

2. Texas (20-6/9-4) - A second straight upset of KU would give Texas a legit shot at the Big 12 title.

3. Kansas State (18-8/8-5) - Three of next four games are on the road, a critical stretch for KSU.

4. Iowa State (20-5/8-5) - ISU has won 5 of 6 and has a very favorable finish to its schedule.

5. Oklahoma (19-7/8-5) - Sooners had this week off to prepare for K-State on Saturday and Big Monday at Kansas.

6. West Virginia (15-11/7-6) - Three more wins might be enough to get WVU into the postseason.

7. Texas Tech (13-13/5-8) - They've dropped two straight but were a defensive rebounds away from shocking Kansas.

8. Baylor (17-9/5-8) - Just when you thought the Bears were dead.

9. Oklahoma State (16-10/4-9) - Marcus Smart returns on Saturday, but it might not matter.

10. TCU (9-16/0-13) - Hosting OSU in a week is about TCU's final chance for a conference win.
-Jake Shaw

Baseball continues homestand against Austin Peay

Baylor (2-2) continues its home schedule with a 3-game series against Austin Peay. Game 1 is 6:30 p.m. Friday. Game 2 is set for 3:00 p.m. Friday and Sunday's finale is slated for 1:00 p.m.

This is the first-ever meeting between the Bears and the Governors. If the Bears sweep the series, head coach Steve Smith would reach 700 wins in his career.

Right-hander Dillon Newman (0-0, 2.08 ERA) opens the series Friday, followed by left-hander Brad Kuntz (0-0, 8.10) on Saturday and right-hander Austin Stone (0-0, 0.00) on Sunday.

The Bears will have two mid-week home games next week. They play Incarnate Word on Tuesday and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Wednesday. Both games are 6:35 p.m. starts.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>Baylor recently offered Pflugerville Hendrickson P.J. Mbanasor, who is TCU commit. Late Thursday, he told Rivals, he wants his commitment to the Horned Frogs to be viewed as soft. He also wanted it to be known that his interest in other schools is low. Consider this a strategic move to let the offers funnel in before he really decides where he wants to take his recruiting. Mbanasor is ranked No. 245 in the latest Rivals 250.

>Plano West 2015 forward D.J. Hogg ? No. 49 in the Rivals 150 ? said recently he continues to have interest in Baylor. We also keep hearing that the Bears continue to have a strong relationship with Texas Titans guard King McClure and center Tyler Davis. McClure is rated No. 14. Davis is rated No. 20. It's safe to say that if the Bears aren't in the lead for either, they are close to the top.

>Baylor's other two 2015 commitments had their ratings updated. Huntsville OL Ronnie Major remains a 3 star prospect with a 5.5 rating. Waco Midway Devontre Stricklin is also sticking at 3 stars and 5.6.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News