ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 24, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Bowen's move
In a decision that Baylor hopes will lead to a bigger decision, Trophy Club Byron Nelson 2016 defensive end Brandon Bowen, No. 60 on the Rivals 100, said Wednesday he plans to take an official visit the BU campus on Jan. 15.

That's the timing that Baylor was hoping for given that it's the weekend where the majority of its commits will be in town. Bowen recently said Oregon is his leader and has maintained that position. Baylor has always been in the thick of it and was thought to have been his leader.

But it's clear Bowen isn't ready to make a commitment decision known until he takes this visit and one to Oklahoma on Jan. 22.

"What I want to see if it's a family feel and how close the players are and what kind of education I can receive there,'' Bowen said. "I like coach [Chris Achuff]. He's a very nice spiritual man and a good family man.''

This will be Bowen's first trip to Baylor since he came to Meet the Bears on Aug. 8. He took his official visit to Oregon in September.

"I just didn't have time to get [to Baylor] until now,'' Bowen said.

Bowen helped the Bobcats advance to the Class 6A Division I playoffs. He finished the season with 59 tackles, nine sacks, 12 pressures, nine PBU and returned one fumble for a touchdown.

The high PBU total isn't that surprising given that Bowen is the defending Class 6A state champion in the high jump. He was dropped into pass coverage routinely throughout the 2015 season.
-Kevin Lonnquist

On J.W. Ketchum

Earlier in the fall 2015 signee J.W. Ketchum, who was suspended from Baylor, transferred to Kilgore College.

Ketchum said he has no plans to go anywhere else than to Baylor following the 2016 season. But it's going to take a little time before he returns to Waco. He won't be back until the fall 2017 semester.

Ketchum said he will stay at Kilgore through the spring 2017 semester. He will play football next fall. Thus, he will only lose one year of eligibility. Ketchum should have three years of eligibility remaining.

"I'm playing quarterback at Kilgore,'' said Ketchum, who played the position in his senior year at Houston Lamar. "Baylor knows I will succeed at almost any position. But I told them I wanted to play safety when I got there.''
-Kevin Lonnquist

PK Follow up

Rockford, MI place-kicker and Penn State commit Quinn Nordin announced Sunday on Twitter that he planned on taking official visits to Penn State, Michigan and Baylor.

We've left multiple messages for the 3-star kicker for a confirmation of his official visit date without a response. However, our Penn State colleagues spoke with him on Wednesday. They and our Michigan colleagues maintain that Nordin will eventually flip to the Wolverines.

We haven't seen it but we're told that when Nordin announced his commitment to Penn State, he did so via a self-made music video.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Etc…

Baylor still maintains some distant contact with Fort Bend Hightower defensive tackle Darius Anderson. Of course, he is teammates with Baylor defensive end commit Micheal Johnson. You never know, but it does appear that Baylor is done taking defensive tackles for the 2016 class...when the Baylor coaches get back out on the road in January, one stop they could make will be at Fort Worth All Saints. The Saints feature 2018 wide receiver Brendan Harmon (6-5, 180). As the No. 2 receiver in the offense, he caught 59 passes for 844 yards (14.3 ypc) and five touchdowns. The Bears are aware of Harmon. Baylor already has its eye on Colleyville Heritage 2018 wide receiver Ke'Von Ahmad.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News