ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 11, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.
____________________________________________________________________________________

NOTE: Rivals100 (No. 39 overall) prospect, Nacogdoches Brandon Jones shared this quote to Courtney Roland on where Baylor stands with him: “Well my interest in Baylor went up even though they lost Texas, which is another top school. [Baylor] had a great season this year and a bright future ahead. Got to talk to coach [Art] Briles and coach [Cris] Dishman, my position coach, and they are great guy. Both were excited to get me there and want me to come back on an [official visit].’’

Jones said he has yet to decide if he will take one to Baylor.

It’s not over
Baylor’s pursuit of Trophy Club Byron Nelson 2016 defensive end Brandon Bowen took an important step on Thursday.

Area recruiter Jeff Lebby and defensive line coach Chris Achuff came by Byron Nelson to make it clear they weren’t giving up on the Rivals No. 60 prospect. Bowen said he does plan on taking an official visit to Baylor in January.

A firm date has not been set. However, there’s a pretty good chance that if this gets squared away, Bowen will likely come down when the rest of the Baylor commits arrive. If history teaches anything, Baylor usually has its recruits come to Waco on that third weekend in January. That would be Jan. 22-24.

But the Bears know they have some ground to make up. Bowen said he still considers Oregon his leader.

“I’m still in the same position,’’ Bowen said. “But we’ll see after the official visit if all goes well.’’

Here is Bowen's stat line for 2015 (we believe sacks and TFL are grouped together): 59 tackles, 9 TFL, 12 QB hurries, 4 caused fumbles, 9 PBU, 1 blocked kick, 1 returned fumble for a TD.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Corey Coleman circa 2011 – the Catch
On Thursday at The Home Depot Awards in Atlanta, Baylor junior wide receiver Corey Coleman became the first receiver in Baylor history win the Belitnikoff Award for the nation’s top receiver. He is the 22nd winner of the award.

But this award was four years in the making. We take you back to 2011.

Then the Richardson Pearce and recent Baylor commit came to summer camp in early June at Baylor wanting to compete. He didn’t have to, of course. He had just committed at Pearce’s spring game on May 25, 2011.

But Coleman still wanted to face some of the best defensive backs who were coming to the camp. When you know you’re good, you want to show your good against someone else’s good.

If you know anything about the Baylor camp sessions on the campus, you know that the 1-on-1 session between the receivers and defensive backs are the final act in the Allison Indoor Practice facility.

Through most of the session Coleman made his share of solid catches. There wasn’t really anything spectacular.

He saved the best for the end.

On a deep ball down the far sideline, Coleman surged in front of his defender but nearly outran the ball. As the ball came down, Coleman had to twist his body right to left, reach back behind his head with his left hand just to try and get his fingertips on it.

Not only did Coleman get his fingertips on it, he slowed just a hair to snare the ball in one motion. There wasn’t any juggling. There was no doubt. The ball nestled in his hand and he swung it around and brought it into his chest and finished the play.

For a moment, there was silence in the building. Coaches, players, parents, friends and bystanders were stunned at what they witnessed. Then screams and hollers followed.

Never one for words, Coleman walked back to his place in the wide receiver line with a “Yeah, I just did that’’ smile. Go look at the home page picture. It’s from the 2014 spring game. Catches like that became part of Coleman’s legacy.

Coleman, who is moving on to the 2016 NFL draft, plays his final game as a Bear Dec. 29 in Orlando at the Russell Athletic Bowl against North Carolina. He will leave Baylor as the single season and career record holder in touchdown receptions with 20 and 30 respectively.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Wide receiver recruits react to Coleman winning the Belitnikoff
Baylor 2016 and 2017 recruits reacted to Corey Coleman winning the Belitnikoff Award.

>Tren’Davian Dickson, WR, Navasota (Baylor 2016 commit): “I’m happy for him. He’s a great role model to me. He deserves this. He’s a hard worker and proves it every time he steps out on the field. He’s the greatest wide receiver to ever play at Baylor. He set the bar high for us.’’

>Jared Atkinson, WR, Mesquite Horn (Baylor 2016 commit): “I knew he was going to get it. Proud of the dude!”

>Jhamon Ausbon, WR, Houston St. Thomas (Baylor 2017 commit): “To be honest, I’m not surprised he won it.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Bledsoe recaps Baylor visit
Four-star defensive end Amani Bledsoe was in Waco last weekend for an official visit to the Baylor. The 6-foot-5, 272-pound senior is the top prospect in Kansas, and one of the Bears top targets on the defensive line. After a little time to think about his time on campus, Bledsoe shared his thoughts on the Bears.

“It was a long drive,” he said of the trip from Lawrence to Waco. “But, other than that, it was pretty good. I got a lot of questions answered, and built a relationship in the time that I had with the coaches. I got a feel for what Baylor football is like.”

The Sunflower State standout was looking forward to spending time with the Baylor coaching staff. Having watched them up-close during before the Bears home finale against Texas, he liked what he saw in how the staff works with its players.

“I see a lot of power moves,” Bledsoe said of what he observed in pregame. “Real technique based. I see a lot of interaction with the coaches. Real enthused from the sideline, getting them ready for the game.

“I see a real enthusiastic and productive coaching style. I see a lot of energy. Even their weights and conditioning coach [Kaz Kazadi] getting involved in games and helping them out. They have a real confident swagger in their voice, and how they carry themselves.”

The Lawrence High product paid close attention to defensive line coach Chris Achuff. The eight-year Bears assistant has helped mold his current group into one of the best in the nation, led by All-Big 12 honorees Shawn Oakman and Andrew Billings. Bledsoe liked what he saw from his prospective position coach.

“The defensive line coach, he’s a pretty good guy,” Bledsoe said. “We hit it off right away. He seemed real down-to-earth, easy to interact with, and easy to talk to about anything.

“He’s not really yelling, but he lets his players know when he gets the point across. What I get from the players is that he’s a perfectionist when he coaches. It can be annoying to some, but I see it as a good thing. Never hurts to be more perfect with your technique.”

Bledsoe also met with Art Briles on his visit. Baylor’s boss made a good impression on the Rivals250 recruit, and explained how he would fit in with the Bears.

“I liked him,” Bledsoe said. “He was cool. He’s also one of those coaches that’s easy to talk to. He seemed real with you. He’s honest, and lets you know what he’s going to bring to the table and how he’s going to be. Real genuine, I guess you could say.

“He talked about how he really liked my playing style. “They plan to use me at D-end, being a force, and creating havoc there. He said that they could use me, both to rush the passer and stop the run. From what I got, I think it would be just D-end, but players move all the time. You never know.”

Bledsoe has now made official visits to Baylor, North Carolina State, Oklahoma, and Oregon. He had previously scheduled a trip to UCLA for this weekend, but he has said he will not be visiting the Bruins at this point. Bledsoe will now turn his focus to the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl on Jan. 3 at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA.

“At this point, I kind of want to be done,” he said of his recruitment. “It’s been stressful and hectic. I’m not sure I really need that last one (official visit). That could change.”
-Randy Withers
Publisher KansasGridiron.com

Secondary bloodlines
Cedar Park 2017 defensive back Jav Guidry continued to build his legacy with the No. 1 Class 5A team in Texas.

The 5-9, 175-pound Guidry is slowly becoming a player Baylor is tracking. He attended Baylor’s regular season finale against Texas last Saturday. Baylor wide receivers coach Tate Wallis then followed with a visit to Cedar Park Thursday to see Jav and his younger brother Elisha (2018, 5-11, 170). The younger brother plays on the other side of the secondary and was also at the game.

Guidry knows McLane Stadium well. He and the Timberwolves played the first game in McLane Stadium history in 2014 against Aledo. The two teams then met again there to begin 2015.

Guidry, whose father Javelin played defensive back at UCLA in the mid-1990s, is demonstrating that his size is not a concern. He already holds offers from Arizona State and Navy. Baylor is taking a hard look. Guidry could be a candidate to attend Baylor’s first junior day in late January.

“He’s a combination of speed and strength that you don’t find very often,’’ said Guidry’s former coach Joe Willis, who left Cedar Park for Colleyville Heritage this past spring. “That mix of talent and skill that has been developed over a lifetime of being groomed by a father, who was a pretty good corner in his own right, is a sure bet to contribute early for someone on Saturdays.’’

Guidry led the state in interceptions in 2014 with eight. But he opened a lot of eyes this past summer during the camp season. He reportedly ran a 4.28 at the Texas camp.

In 2015, his numbers dipped (1 INT, 7 PBU) because teams just aren’t throwing in his direction, Cedar Park coach Carl Abseck said.

“His play on the corner allows us the freedom to stack the box and pressure our opponents,’’ said Abseck, whose defense has recorded more than 50 sacks this year. “He impacts a game in so many ways. His attention from schools is growing.’’

Guidry is also being used in the running game with 548 yards and eight touchdowns. Cedar Park plays Fort Bend Ridge Point in the Class 5A Division II state semifinals at 2:00 p.m. Saturday at NRG Stadium in Houston. Cedar Park is looking to return to state championship for the third time in the last five seasons.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Johnson talks in-home visit
Hightower (Texas) defensive end and Baylor commitment Micheal Johnson welcomed his lead recruiter and defensive line coach Chris Achuff for an in-home visit this week.

“The home visit was fun,” Johnson said. “We sat down, just talked, ate dinner and chilled. It was coach Achuff, my parents and me. He talked with my parents a lot and they were able to learn more about Baylor, see the picture a little more clearly.”

Johnson mainly speaks with coach Achuff and the two have built a great relationship since he committed to Baylor earlier this fall.

“Coach Achuff, that’s my guy,” Johnson said. “We talk every day, not just football and business either. Coach gets to know me, sees how I tick and how I’m thinking. He always wants to know what is on my mind and we really talk about anything.”

When they have talked football, the Baylor defensive line coach already has an idea of how the program will use Johnson within the defense.

“Coach sees me rushing the passer, very similar to my role here at Hightower,” Johnson said. “Just causing havoc in the backfield and making the quarterback uncomfortable. It’s the Big12 conference, so you have to pressure the quarterbacks in the spread offenses.

“There is opportunity to play early at Baylor, but honestly, I might not be ready physically and coach has always said the best player will play. I’m just going to keep working until it’s time to officially sign and then move up to Waco.”

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound prospect also keeps in touch with some of his fellow 2016 Baylor commits.

“Oh yeah, I speak with Kameron Martin and Bravvion Roy a lot,” Johnson said. “I have been talking with Tren’Davian Dickson recently and we are all going to come together for our official visit next month.”

Johnson does well on and off the field at Hightower, earning above average grades in the classroom and even receiving interest from colleges like Yale throughout the process. He is also looking forward to building his future in the classroom at Baylor next year.

“I’m going to major in Business,” Johnson said. “They have a new Business building at Baylor and it looks very nice. I’m going to learn a lot more about the programs and classes during my official visit, but that is my plan.

“I want to be a CEO someday. How I get there? I’m not sure just yet, but I believe that is in my future.”
-Matt Clare

Coaches visiting another 2016 WR
Although the coaches never did officially offerd, Langham Creek (Texas) wide receiver Quartney Davis continues to hear from the Baylor coaches late into the process.

Over the past week, coaches from Baylor have stopped by the school to check in with Davis – a longtime Texas A&M commit – to gauge his interest.

“Baylor stopped by today,” Davis said. “Coaches from LSU, Texas Tech and Ole Miss have also been up to the school recently. All of the coaches basically ask if they should still recruit me, or if I’m willing to take a visit.

“I’m not really looking to take visits at this point though. I’m pretty solid with my decision with A&M.”

Now, there are a few ways to look at these visits and the level of interest from Baylor.

First of all, Davis’ stock has drastically risen since he first received interest from the Baylor coaches. The 6-foot-1, 181-pound prospect soared into the Rivals250 earlier this fall, earning his fourth star and piling up new offers from several programs.

The coaches have an abundance of riches at wide receiver with a handful of nationally rated prospects committed for both the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes, but would anyone shy away from adding another Rivals250 receiver threat to the Baylor offense?

I doubt it.

Second of all, and maybe the reason these visits and interest make sense, is that one of Davis’ teammates is 2017 Rivals100 running back Toneil Carter. Were the coaches there to show interest in Carter and possibly this renewed interest in Davis is simply a byproduct? Maybe, maybe not, but I believe the answer lies somewhere in between.

Finally, although Davis is a longtime A&M commitment, what happens if the Aggies end up firing their offensive coordinator Jake Spavital? Does he begin to take another look at his options and take a visit or two?

I think the answer to most of these questions is ‘yes’ and Davis is certainly a prospect worth watching.

Can you imagine a recruiting class that includes a wide receiver haul of Duvernay, Dickson and Carter?
-Matt Clare

Another 2017 WR to watch
Lancaster (Texas) 2017 wide receiver Omar Manning is a prospect on the rise as of late.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound prospect has added several new offers over the past two weeks, including offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech, UCLA, Oklahoma State and Arizona State.

With early commitments from 2017 wide receivers Jhamon Ausbon and Hezekiah Jones, the Baylor coaches aren’t necessarily in a hurry to add another commitment and have the opportunity to be a little picky when it comes to prospects at the position.

That being said, Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles is personally recruiting Manning and the coaches have already hosted him for a visit earlier this season.

“Coach Briles and I connect on a weekly basis,” Manning said. “I went to the Oklahoma game at Baylor earlier this season. The atmosphere was amazing, it was electric. I caught up with Coach Briles and got to learn more about the program. My teammate, Kenan Ivy, is committed there and that made me feel more comfortable on the visit.”

Manning will continue to add new offers with college coaches on the road for the open contact period this month and the Baylor coaches could throw their hat into the ring at any point.

Rated a three-star prospect, Manning is rated as the No. 57 prospect on the Rivals.com Texas Initial Top 80 for the 2017 class. He finished with nearly 700 yards and 12 touchdowns receiving this season.
-Matt Clare

Big 12 Power Rankings
Throughout the 2015 college football season, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on how they performed. Agree or disagree, that’s why we have them out there. Note: We’ll do one more after the postseason has concluded for every Big 12 team.

1. Oklahoma (11-1) – No. 4 seed Sooners playing No. 1 Clemson in College Football Playoff Dec. 31 in the Orange Bowl
2. Oklahoma State (10-2) – Facing Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl Jan. 1; first Sugar Bowl appearance since 1945
3. TCU (10-2) – Horned Frogs playing Oregon in the Alamo Bowl Jan. 2
4. Baylor (9-3) – QB Jarrett Stidham has bone scan on Monday
5. West Virginia (7-5) – Dana Holgorsen to return in 2016; facing Arizona State in the Cactus Bowl Jan. 2, 6. Texas Tech (7-5) – Intriguing matchup against LSU in the Texas Bowl Dec. 29
7. Kansas State (6-6) – Won last three to become bowl eligible; taking on Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl Jan. 8. Texas (5-7) – Charlie Strong interviewing OC candidates
9. Iowa state (3-9) – RB Mike Warren named Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year
10. Kansas (0-12) – Of the 13 commitments, seven are from Texas
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>Frisco Lone Star 2016 safety and Baylor commit Chris Miller play Lake Dallas in the Class 5A Division II state semifinals at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Allen. No Frisco ISD team has ever played for a state championship in football. Lone Star is 13-1.

>National reports repeated this week what SicEmSports reported several weeks ago that the Bears offered Oak Hill (VA.) Academy 2017 point guard Matt Coleman. Coleman is the No. 29 prospect in the Rivals 150.

>Allen 2016 DE Levi Onwuzurike got the heavy package of attention on Thursday. Linebackers coach Jim Gush, defensive line coach Chris Achuff and defensive coordinator Phil Bennett visited with him at the school. However, Allen will not be playing its Class 6A Division I state semifinal against Austin Westlake Saturday at McLane Stadium. The game was moved to Friday night at Waco ISD because of the threat of rain Saturday.
-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News