ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Camp Report: Part I May 31 (Waco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Baylor began its camp week on Sunday on the university grounds. The offensive and defensive lines stayed between the Allison Indoor Practice facility and Higher Athletics Complex fields. Skill players stayed mainly at McLane Stadium.

Well in excess of 500 hopefuls attended. There were about 450 pre-registered. The staff at Abilene Christian also helped out in the workouts. The camp series continues Monday at Cy Falls. There are about 150 pre-registered for that event. However, Baylor is expecting a large turnout similar to what it experienced in 2014.

Worth the visit
Rivals100 2017 standout athlete Jamyest Williams from Lawrenceville, GA made it a point to come to Baylor. Why? Well, that's pretty simple. Baylor's winning.

The Bears became part of an impressive offer on Sunday with their own. The staff wants him at cornerback. Baylor joins Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia and Florida State who have already extended.

"The success Baylor has been having in the Big 12 is what brought me out here,'' Williams said. "To see it in person, now I know why. I like it a lot. It was more beautiful than I thought. The atmosphere was great. I love the coaching staff.''

Williams had his right leg wrapped at one point during the workout because his hamstring tightened. However, the Baylor coaching staff had seen what the other schools saw. Williams has exceptional closing speed and can be shut down corner. His quickness allows him to play bigger than 5-11.

"I wanted to show them what I had, and they really liked me,'' he said. "We just talked about being a dominant corner by playing both press and off coverage. I can be aggressive and more the more physical guy on the field.''

Williams said he plans on visiting SMU and Texas A&M before he returns home with a plan to visit the East Coast.

Cobb talks Baylor
Waco La Vega defensive back Parrish Cobb isn't in any hurry to unveil a decision. But it's clear Baylor is under heavy consideration. He would consider putting Baylor among his list of favorites.

With 13 offers including Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas and Oregon, he's planning to see what two SEC powers think. Cobb is planning on going to LSU and Alabama camps. If either or both were to offer, it could change the complexion of his recruiting.

"Baylor is definitely in the running, and I like the way the coaches have been treating me. Plus, with them being right down that street that helps. The coaches have been talking to me about early playing time. They're definitely in the top five.''

Cobb continues an active dialogue with Carlton Buckels. He said he felt like he improved with his footwork and coming out of his breaks this past spring.

Atkinson's visit reaction
Mesquite Horn 2016 wide receiver Jared Atkinson visited Baylor before for a track meet. But his second visit to the school carried a different tone. He had a Baylor offer.

Atkinson didn't go through workouts but received a tour of McLane Stadium. To be honest, the two-star 5.4 rated (that has a chance to go up) prospect remains a bit numb to it all.

"The offer happened so unexpectedly,'' he said. "I really thought they were going to offer our quarterback [Chris Robison]. It just blew me away. I like the coaches and all of the surroundings. It's a blessing to say they really like me.''

Atkinson is one of the fastest runners in the state as has been documented. He does anticipate making a return summer visit to Baylor. As for any kind of commitment decision, the earliest he said it could be is in the summer before the 2015 season starts. However, he said it could come after the season.

McCann's first trip
Texarkana (AR) defensive tackle Nick McCann made his first visit to Baylor on Sunday after being offered several weeks ago. He had some solid moments and some difficulty in his workout.

Still, the coaching staff appears to like him as a three technique. It's going to be a pretty big week for him. He's driving to Arkansas on June 6 for a visit and then driving down to Texas A&M for its camp on June 7.

McCann has originally planned to go to Baylor's camp June 6 in Marshall. However, he said the staff convinced him to make the drive to Waco so he could see the campus and the coaches could see him on campus.

"[Baylor] is the biggest offer I've gotten yet,'' McCann said. "I really like the campus and the schools. Baylor was such a surprise. When I walked out of my coaches office with the office, I was smiling real hard.''

The early rapport with Baylor defensive line coach Chris Achuff has been positive. The offer was extended because Achuff told him he liked the effort and the explosiveness. There were a couple of times that got him in trouble in the drills. He would overstep a couple of times where he got caught. Call it a learning experience.

Uquidez at peace
It's been about seven weeks since Copperas Cove and Rivals250 offensive tackle J.P. Urquidez gave his verbal commitment to Baylor. He could have come to Baylor on Sunday to be a spectator. He wanted to compete.

"The biggest thing for me was to get with future offensive line coach [Randy Clements] and really work on my flaws and perfect them over the summer. But I also wanted to compete with the best athletes.''

The two points of instruction were continuing to move his feet and fine tuning his base. For Urquidez, aggressive play has hardly been his problem. But throughout the afternoon, it was clear Urquidez played with peace.

With his future decided, he just wanted to play. In fact, there was little movement from other schools after he committed. Alabama inquired. Urquidez passed.

"As soon as I committed, Alabama came to me,'' he said. "That's a great opportunity, but I have a better opportunity at Baylor. The Baylor coaches and I see things the same way. We all know where this program is headed.''

Asked what it would mean if Trophy Club Byron Nelson offensive lineman Kellen Diesch committed to Baylor, Urquidez said, "It would be part of a dynasty that started with Spencer Drango.''

Hudson soft spoken
Silsbee and Rivals100 offensive tackle Patrick Hudson also took part in Sunday's camp. He wanted to compete but learned some other valuable truisms.

"I want to have better technique and proper form,'' he said. "But I've learned if you're going to play here, you have to be a baller, put in the effort and you have to be consistent.''

The attention from other schools continues. But Hudson said he pretty much stayed in class and didn't take visits to his coaches office.

By 2017…
Cedar Hill quarterback Avery Davis takes over the offense for the two-time state champion Longhorns this fall.

At 5-11, 188 Davis delivered a ball with life on it. Deep throws were solid. Touch throws had some mixed results. Baylor didn't offer but will continue to watch him. Davis, a 3-star prospect, has offers from SMU, Oregon St. Utah State and Kansas.

"I just wanted to be around the staff and gain some experience,'' Davis said. "They kept telling me how important it was for me to have quick feet, a quick release and accuracy with the ball.''

Simmons taken aback
Baylor didn't offer Power Springs (GA) McEachern 2016 wide receiver Tyler Simmons. However, he hoped his performance kept the staff interested. Baylor does not have a wide receiver committed to the 2016 class.

"I feel like I made a good impression,'' Simmons said. "Everybody was fighting for reps. But I talked with [Art Briles and Tate Wallis] after the camp. They said they wanted to get through the camps and evaluate what they had and wanted me to keep in touch.''

Simmons day was curtailed when he had his arm stepped on during the drills. He still fought through the incident and finished the work out. He already holds offers from traditional SEC powers Georgia and Auburn. A Baylor offer could change his recruiting.

"If that happened, they would definitely be a Top 5 school,'' Simmons said.

Mayden's stance
In all likelihood, Sache defensive back and Rivals250 standout Jared Mayden is probably going to play college football outside of Texas. However, he did reveal that if he were to decide to remain in state, Baylor would be his only choice.

That's a change from January when his then-Top 3 was TCU, Ohio State and Oregon. Baylor has kept in contact with Carlton Buckels. Those talks occur every couple of weeks.

"TCU was too close,'' Mayden said. "If I stay in Texas, it would be with Baylor. I could see them making my [Top 10 list on June 24].''

Mayden was in Waco to watch his younger brother Jalen Mayden, the 2018 quarterback, go through the camp. He did not work out.

Quick hits
> It does look like Trophy Club Byron Nelson offensive tackle Kellen Diesch's decision has been postponed from a June 1 date. We know Baylor spoke with Diesch on Sunday. But there is the belief that Arkansas leads. We have also learned the decision may come between Baylor, Texas A&M and Arkansas. One source said it didn't appear Oklahoma was in it. That's ironic because Diesch was born in Norman, OK. Diesch may be at Baylor's camp June 7 in Waco.

> Baylor has been out to Amarillo to see 2016 defensive tackle Ivory Jackson. He's an intriguing prospect with offers from Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, SMU and North Texas.

> Kennedale 2017 TE Kedrick James said he's not changing from a Top 3 of Arkansas, Baylor and Michigan. He said the three are really close. But don't look for him to make a decision until his senior year. James will attend Michigan's satellite camp June 9 in Grand Prairie and Arkansas' camp on June 20.

> Don't be surprised if Palatine (IL) Fremd safety Kenney Lyke winds up making a summer unofficial visit to Baylor. The Michigan State commit could be headed to Texas in July. We'll keep watching that.

> College Station 3-star defensive back Rajah Preciado made an impression Sunday. While his only offers are from North Texas, Army and Fresno State, his ball skills were pretty impressive.

> 2016 defensive end Caleb Colvin from Owasso, OK was also at the camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News