ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 7, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE:
A reminder that Meet the Bears will take place on Saturday at the Higher Athletics Complex. Baylor’s practice runs from 10:30 am to noon. An autograph session at the Allison Indoor Practice Facility lasts from 12:30-2:00 pm.

VIDEO: Art Briles
Here’s what the Baylor head coach had to say as Baylor opened fall camp. Footage courtesy of our Stephen Cook. I kind of felt bad for Stephen who got pushed to the back, but the audio is crystal.

Baylor Practice Schedule
Here are the practice dates for the next two weeks along with times.

Friday – 3:00 pm
Saturday – 10:30 am
Tue (Aug. 11) – TBA
Wed (Aug. 12) – TBA
Fri (Aug. 14) – TBA
Mon (Aug. 17) – TBA
Tue (Aug. 18) – TBA
Wed (Aug. 19) – TBA
-SicEmSports

Australia opener update
Baylor and California continue to wait for NCAA approval over the waiver that will allow the two teams to play the 2016 opener in Sydney, Australia. Of course, this is going to be an either/or ruling. Either the NCAA grants the waiver for the game to be played or it denies the wavier and the game is off. A simple yet major step.

As for the timeframe of the result? It could happen Friday. It could happen next week. It could happen Labor Day weekend. There is hope that a decision will be known in the middle of August.

If denied, Baylor would have no other options for 2016 except for opening Sept. 3 against FCS Northwestern State.

As we mentioned, one of the elements that the NCAA will likely require is some kind of academic benefit to playing this game. But at this time, we’re told that the PAC 12, California and Baylor are “all in” for this game to happen.

Nothing contractual – not even a framework – has been structured. We understand there have been some generalities discussed. But there’s really no point to writing a contract that may never come to fruition.

Should the waiver be granted, the first major hurdle is the guaranteed money for each university. What is hoped will happen is that there will be a fair split. From Baylor’s perspective, it probably would like enough to cover the cost of buying out Northwestern State from the contract as well as collect enough to make up the revenue to equal that from losing a home date. Anything after that is extra. If the contract is tilted, that probably puts the game in jeopardy.

As for the television partner, both the Big 12 and PAC 12 have tier one contracts with FOX Sports. That would seem to be the logical first place to look for a network to carry this game.

We’ll keep you posted.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Big visit weekend
The historic 2017 recruiting class is still nearly two years away from graduating from high school. But there’s going to be a reunion Friday at Baylor’s practice at the Highers Athletics Complex. All but two of the seven commits will be in attendance.

>Kellen Mond, QB, San Antonio Reagan
>Donovan Stiner, S, Houston Bellaire
>Baron Browning, LB, Kennedale (he’s already there)
>Kedrick James, TE, Waco La Vega
Houston St. Thomas WR Jhamon Ausbon and Stafford WR Hezekiah Jones and teammate and athlete Jalen Pitre have conflicts.

UPDATE I: It still looks pretty good for Plano East LB and Rivals No. 143 Anthony Hines to arrive on Saturday. Since his good friend Browning committed on July 18, there’s been strong speculation that Hines will commit as well. If so, it would continue Baylor’s groundbreaking start to the 2017 class. We still keep hearing Euless Trinity 2016 DT Chris Daniels is coming. As for Houston Westfield and Rivals250 Tyrie Cleveland? Time will tell.

UPDATE II: As for other visitors, the 2017 commitments could be joined by 2017 Cy Fair 2017 offensive tackle Austin Deculus (Rivals No. 151) and Dallas Bishop Dunne DB Chevin Calloway (Rivals No. 120). This would be Calloway’s third visit to Baylor in three months. It’s up in the air if Southlake Carroll S Robert Barnes (Rivals No. 136) will be there.

As for other visitors, we’ll keep checking on Friday and into Saturday morning.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Better late than never
There’s amazing symmetry with Arp defensive end Tyrone Hunt’s journey to Baylor. He was the last member of the 2015 class to commit to the Bears. He’s also the last one to make it to the campus.

Within the last couple of weeks, Arp found out he qualified. Arrangements then were made for him to head to Waco. He arrived Tuesday night.

“When he found he was going to Baylor, it was like a weight that came off his shoulders,’’ Arp coach Dale Irwin said. “He told me that he thought he was going to redshirt. But it didn’t matter to him. He was going to school and getting into that environment.

“He’s going to be part of a big place and once he gets settled in, he’ll be a part of the process. He’ll be fine.’’

Irwin believes Hunt’s frame (6-4, 257) is going to give the Baylor coaching staff choices. Depending on what they want to do with Hunt, he could play either defensive end position. If Baylor wants him to bulk up to near 300 pounds, Hunt could be a strong side end. If it wants to keep him lighter, then Hunt could be the speed rush end. Irwin credits Hunt’s raw strength for being at his foundation.

Baylor found Hunt in January well after he had been committed to UT-San Antonio. Irwin said there were offers from North Texas, Louisiana-Monroe and several regional FCS schools including Stephen F. Austin. But Baylor assistant Chris Achuff liked what he saw. Defensive coordinator Phil Bennett approved.

Now, Hunt is fulfilling a dream.

“You have a kid who comes from a hard working family and his mom and dad love him,’’ Irwin said. “He’s exactly how you want your son to grow up. His chance at Baylor is priceless. It’s big in this town. It shows everyone that anyone can reach their dreams.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Chaisson knows Waco
Galena Park North Shore 2017 defensive end K’Lavon Chaisson returned to Waco filled with emotions.

There was the excitement of seeing a program that has shown genuine interest in him. Baylor offered him at its July 17 camp. But this is where his late father Kelvin played in the early 2000s.

Chaisson has the gift that his father had – to play at the Division I collegiate level. But the younger Chaisson doesn’t have his father to help him go through this.

On Nov. 8, 2014 Kelvin was shot and killed by his girlfriend at a house in North Houston in what authorities called a domestic dispute. The woman claimed self-defense. Kelvin was 33. K’Lavon was his first born.

“Yes. All the time [I think about him not being there],’’ Chaisson said. “I always think, ‘Man, he’s supposed to be here to witness this with me.’’’

Chaisson knows his father is with him in other aspects. In some ways, this trip to Baylor is therapeutic. Rather than arrive on Friday, he came up with his girlfriend and his grandparents (Kelvin’s mother and father) and took in Baylor’s first practice. He also got a tour of McLane Stadium and the locker room.

He also sat in on the Baylor defensive ends meeting and team meeting. Several moments struck him.

“I could see where [Achuff] was coming from,’’ Chaisson said. “I really like how they did everything. What was really cool was that the players didn’t treat me like a recruit. They treated me like I was one of the family. You’d swear you were on the team. Everything seemed just right.’’

Chaisson said his top two are Baylor and LSU. Houston and Colorado have also offered. Texas and Texas A&M have shown some interest. The words commit and this weekend may or may not meet.

But it’s clear that Chaisson has a good feeling about where he is with Baylor. He is expected to return to Baylor Friday and stay through Saturday.

“It was beyond what I thought,’’ he said. “I have no reason not to commit to Baylor. But I also want to enjoy the recruiting process. But so far, Baylor is looking really nice.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

JUCO OL has choices
The Baylor coaches have continued to recruit a handful of junior college prospects for the 2016 recruiting class, specifically along the offensive and defensive lines.

In late May, Scranton (PA) Lackawanna C.C. offensive tackle Ashton Julious officially visited the Baylor campus and continues to build a relationship with the Bears’ coaching staff.

“Everything is going good with the Baylor coaches lately,” Julious said. “I connect with Coach (Randy) Clements every week. They are one of the schools that I’m still talking with on a regular basis.”

That list of schools continues to grow this summer and the 6-foot-8, 330-pound tackle now holds 15 FBS offers from programs from around the summer.

Originally from South Carolina, a recent offer from the Gamecocks might be a game changer for Julious.

“I recently visited South Carolina and received an offer during my visit,” Julious said. “It was an offer that definitely caught my attention because I’m from South Carolina and home is always home, but I’m still waiting out the process and don’t really have a timeline for my decision.”

In fact, the standout junior college prospect plans to officially visit another Big12 program this fall as well.

“Other than the visits to South Carolina and Baylor, I have also visited N.C. State,” Julious said. “I have another visit setup to Oklahoma in October for one of their games. I don’t have any other visits setup right now, but it will all depend on my schedule this fall with football.”

Our Take:Julious had nothing but good things to say about Baylor, but the offer from South Carolina might have changed the game in his recruitment, not to mention the official visit to Oklahoma this season and the Sooners have done very well with JUCO recruiting along the offensive line. The bright side is that the Baylor coaches have a handful of other JUCO offensive lineman prospects they could move onto should Julious go in another direction.
–Matt Clare

How does Baylor get to 20 commits?
The amount of scholarship players ‘taken’ in any given year is always a guessing game, but Kevin has mentioned the number 20 several times over the past several months so that is the number we will use here.

One reminder, commitments who graduate high school early and enroll in class for the spring semester can be ‘counted back’ to the 2015 class total. This is where the guessing game becomes interesting to me, mostly because every single year is different.

Hopefully that is about as clear as mud, but the overall numbers have to equal 85 scholarships and the number of 25 scholarship athletes taken per recruiting class is the ‘standard’ used across the recruiting world.

As of today, Baylor has a total of 13 verbal commitments for the 2016 recruiting class – eight (8) on defense and five (5) on offense.

That number includes Zach Smith, who plans to graduate early and enroll at Baylor this spring – so again, in theory, this means subtract one from the total of 13 and there are now 12 commitments for the 2016 recruiting class.

So, if the coaches are aiming for a total of 20 commitments in the 2016 class, how does Baylor finish moving forward?

OFFENSE (5 current commits):

Quarterback – done
Running back – done
Wide Receiver – Jared Atkinson is the only pure receiver commitment, this total includes Mims as an athlete and counted towards defense.

Targets remaining: Devin Duvernay, Tyrie Cleveland and Moses Reynolds.

Tight End – Issac Nauta

Offensive Line – J.P. Urquidez and Patrick Hudson are great prospects to have committed, but rumors continue to swirl about Hudson and other offensive lineman prospects the coaches have offered are either committed or are from the JUCO ranks.

I would expect a couple of new offers as the season progresses, and the coaches are mostly likely going after a few prospects committed elsewhere.

Conclusion: The coaches will take at least one more receiver in this class, they are currently pursuing a very talented tight end prospect that should officially visit this fall and the smart money would see the coaches taking at least two more offensive linemen in this class.

That adds four (4) commitments to the offensive side of the ball for a total of nine (9) commitments, including Zach Smith, but eight (8) total assuming he ‘counts back’ after enrolling early.

The number eight seems low, but this is actually a good thing. Landing underrated prospects and ‘cashing in’ on good evaluations, plus the success on the field, is allowing the coaching staff to become much more selective at this point. They can now chase the higher rated prospects and continue to evaluate fallback options during the season.

DEFENSE (8 current commits):

Defensive TackleBravvion Roy is the lone commit at the position currently, but the coaches continue to pursue a handful of targets. Marcel Southall and Chris Daniels seem to be the two main targets at this point, but this will change throughout the season because defensive tackle is a position of need and the coaches are going to add at least 1-2 more players at this position.

Defensive End – There are currently no commitments at this position and the coaches would most likely prefer to take at least two players at defensive end. Isaiah Chambers, Andrew Fitzgerald, Levi Onwuzurike, Justin Madubuike, Brandon Bowen, Mat Boesen, McTelvin Agim and Koron Crump are the main targets.

Kevin posted a great recap of the entire defensive line recruiting targets earlier this week. Here are my takes on the remaining targets…

Baylor has the best shot with Bowen, Chambers, Agim and Boesen in my opinion. One junior college prospect and two high school prospects taken at defensive end would be the ideal situation for this recruiting class.

Linebacker Deonte Williams is the only linebacker commitment at the moment and Kevin mentioned he could end up being the only linebacker taken in the 2016 class.

There are several players committed elsewhere the coaching staff will certainly continue speaking with, but the main uncommitted target is Michael Divinity. The other uncommitted prospects either do not have Baylor in their list of ‘top schools’ or the coaches have moved on since landing Williams.

CornerbackRaleigh Texada and Grayland Arnold are verbally committed to the Bears. There are other offers out to uncommitted prospects and the coaches would absolutely listen if Eric Cuffee, Parrish Cobb or Benjie Franklin decided to call and express interest in making a commitment.

Also, with the latest update on standout receiver Devin Duvernay, where would Donovan Duvernay – who holds an offer from Baylor – play into things for this 2016 class?

*Remember, with our numbers earlier, we are assuming Mims ends up playing defense and he could play either corner or safety. My personal opinion is that he ends up playing receiver at Baylor, but we have heard both and it’s a good option to have for the coaches.

SafetyKenan Ivy, Chris Miller and Rajah Preciado are verbally committed to the Bears. The only uncommitted, no-brainer type prospect remaining at the safety position is Brandon Jones. He is one of the best players in the state and would be an instant take.

Conclusion: The coaches will take at least one more defensive tackle, two or three defensive end prospects, possibly one more linebacker and a potential total of three or four additional defensive backs in this 2016 class.

A conservative count adds seven (7) additional commitments on the defensive side of the ball, and assuming the coaches hold onto the current eight (8) committed players, then that leaves a total of 15 commitments on defense – again, including Mims at defensive back.

Overall: If you have made it this far, then congrats and thank you. With our total of eight (8) commits on offense and 15 commits on defense, we end up with 23 total commitments and that number also accounts for Zach Smith ‘counting back’.

Clearly we went over our original number of 20 total commitments, but the numbers assumed per position were either generous or the number of commitments in this 2016 class will need to exceed 20 players – only time will tell.

Remember that recruiting is weird. A young man ‘firmly’ committed to another program today will inevitably decide mid-season or even sometime in January that (insert school here) is ‘not the right fit’ and will change their mind, eventually committing and signing with another program.

Any and all recruits are fair game, and fans should expect the Baylor coaches to continue attacking new areas and using their recent success on the field to recruit new targets – IMG Academy tight end and recent offer Nauta is a perfect example of this. Nauta told Rivals that he has four official visits set including TCU. He’s trying to decide if he will use the fifth for either Baylor or Alabama.
-Matt Clare

Williams quick visit
Baylor’s offense attracts skill players from everywhere. Cedar Hill 2017 running back and Rivals No. 117 prospect Kaegun Williams took in Thursday’s practice.

He has offers from SMU and Tulsa. Baylor did not offer. Its interest could be determined by what kind of season Williams has playing at a new classification. He transferred to a 6A program from Class 4A Stephenville during the summer.

“It was super nice, and yeah it was just chill day with their practice,’’ Williams said. “But I’m glad I got to check everything out. I got a tour of the facilities and everything.’’

Williams is no stranger to Baylor. He attended a camp two years ago on the university campus and attended several games.

Baylor has made only one known offer to 2017 running backs, Langham Creek’s Toneil Carter (Rivals No. 48). It also is interested in LaGrange running back J.K. Dobbins, Wylie East’s Eno Benjamin and Dallas Bishop Dunne’s Rajan Cunningham.

Williams said the Baylor coaches plan to come watch him play during the season.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball update
Baylor should start to schedule official visit dates for prime 2016 targets soon. As of now, we’re hearing that the Bears should be on the finalist lists for both Austin St. Stephen’s Episcopal five-star power forward Jarrett Allen (No. 17 in the Rivals150) and DeSoto five-star center Marques Bolden (No. 15 in the Rivals150).

On Friday, Irving MacArthur three-star 2016 point guard Andrew Jones from Irving MacArthur and 2017 center Tristan Clark. Clark is transferring from Converse Judson to Findlay Prep in Henderson, NV. Clark does not have an offer but look for that to change.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>You may have missed this note on Thursday but it’s worth putting it in this section. Port Arthur Memorial RB and Baylor commit KameronMartin said he plans to be at Baylor Saturday along with Kountze DB and fellow commit Grayland Arnold. By the way, we did ask him about Texas still pursuing him, and he said: "Oh, yeah. It's every week. But I'm not worried about those guys. I'm committed to Baylor.''

>Baylor’s 2015 season opening opponent SMU also opened fall camp on Thursday with new head coach Chad Morris. Everything points to former Texas A&M quarterback Matt Davis as the starter. Morris has not named a starting quarterback. But SMU and Baylor are running a little parallel in the dynamics with their quarterbacks. Each program hasn’t named a starter but pretty much knows who it’s going to be. Baylor has Seth Russell. SMU has Davis. The dynamic segues into the backup. The presumed holder of that role is a January 2015 enrollee. Baylor has Stephenville’s Jarrett Stidham. SMU has Waco Midway’s Ben Hicks. The game is set for Sept. 4 at Gerald J. Ford Stadium in University Park.

>We’re hearing that with the 2017 WR commitments of Hezekiah Jones and Jhamon Ausbon, Baylor is pretty much done recruiting for that position. Of course, there’s a long way to go to NSD 2017. That signing day is Feb. 1.
-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News