ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 29, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________

NOTE: Just an update on a couple of scheduling items regarding the football program.

>There is still no word on the NCAA’s ruling on the waiver for the 2016 opener against California in Sydney, Australia. One source said: “It’s very quiet on the front.’’ We’ve also heard that officials in Australia appear to be more focused on the 2016 bowl game than this opener. Guaranteed money is one of the major issues with Baylor-California. The speculation is that the NCAA may not be willing to grant a waiver if the negotiations for the game are moving in the right direction. Why grant a waiver for something that may not happen?

>As for the 2020 game with Arkansas at NRG, we’re learning that this appears to be in Arkansas’ court to make this game happen. While it’s not a given, it does appear that this game would be the season opener. The game was moved from 2019 because Arkansas had the conflict with Michigan. Also, there doesn’t appear to be anything moving as far as any other P5 opponents are concerned after 2020.

Quick hitters from the opening weekend
>Kameron Martin only had 74 yards rushing in Port Arthur Memorial’s 31-30 loss to Beaumont Ozen. It didn’t sound like Martin was too happy with the way things went besides the loss. However, he did lead the team with 17 carries. It was Ozen’s first-ever victory against Memorial.

>A solid start by Grandview QB Zach Smith. He completed 64 percent of his passes for 257 yards and four TDs in the Zebras’ 42-12 victory over Dallas Madison. The numbers are a bit skewed because he didn’t play the fourth quarter.

>Call it a dominating start for Silsbee OL Patrick Hudson. He graded out at 98 percent and collected seven pancake blocks in the 34-27 victory over Barbers Hill. Silsbee rushed for 294 yards and had 436 yards of total offense as it ran 65 plays.

>Lancaster safety Kenan Ivy got his season off to the right start with his first interception of the year along with two pass breakups in the 34-19 victory over Mesquite Poteet. He could have had two INTs and one PBUs had it not been for him dropping a sure pick.

>How much of a steal could College Station safety Rajah Preciado be? He had 12 tackles and two for loss in the 45-0 rout of Rosenberg Terry. The landscaper extraordinaire also is going to be a threat in the return game. He had 65-yard punter for a touchdown called back because of a block in the back.
-SicEmSports

The next KD Cannon…2018 style?
Ke’Von Ahmad
is a stranger to Texas. He just moved to Colleyville from Ponte Vedra, FL over the summer. But he is already making an impact with the Panthers offense. Oh, Baylor already knows about him.

A 2018 prospect, Ahmad (5-10, 180) is built much the same way current Baylor standout WR KD Cannon is along with 2017 Stafford commit. He’s around 4.5 with his speed.

“He is going to be special,’’ Colleyville Heritage head coach Joe Willis said. “There’s much to be excited about.’’

That’s putting it mildly. Ahmad gave an indication what kind of impact player he’s going to be in the Aug. 21 against Arlington Lamar. On a deep sideline right, Panther quarterback Cam Roane threw in double coverage. But Ahmad extended against the coverage and found a way to collect the ball for a 25-yard gain.

But when the lights came on Friday against Abilene, Ahmad didn’t disappoint – 3 receptions for 125 yards and 2 touchdowns (52 and 26). Ahmad also added a four-yard scoring run.

Baylor has already offered Manvel 2018 wide receiver Jalen Preston. But call this a stage of discovery for this wide out.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Agim set to decide

Hope (AR) strongside defensive end McTelvin Agim narrowed things down to a Top 4 that included Baylor earlier this summer and the Bears have seemingly always been a factor in his recruiting as one of the first programs to offer the standout prospect.

Agim is now set to make his commitment next Saturday, September 5th at a family reunion. He recently finished one last round of unofficial visits to each of his top programs and shared more about his stop in Waco.

“I was at Baylor a few weeks ago,” Agim said. “I got to watch the team practice and was really able to relax, enjoy the environment. It was like an official visit really, because I was there for a few days.

“They had just opened the new ‘Bank’ facility and it’s very nice. Really all of the facilities are great at Baylor.”

Agim spent a lot of time watching the defense work and how Coach Chris Achuff runs the defensive line at Baylor.

“Coach Achuff is my guy, he’s going to teach fundamentals and I could tell the players liked playing for him,” Agim said. “We have been in touch for a while now, he’s a very cool guy and an even better coach.”

The 6-foot-3, 269-pound end is set to make his decision in one week, but is still weighing his options going into the announcement.

“I’m still mulling over things, making a pros and cons list,” Agim said. “I want to make sure that I do this right, because I’m going to shut things down after my decision.

“Baylor is on me hard, recruiting me every single day and the coaches feel that I can come in and help the team quickly. Their offense is going to score, they just need to lock down the defense and I feel they can win a lot of games.”

Rated a four-star prospect, Agim is the No. 7 strongside defensive end in the nation, the No. 72 prospect in the latest Rivals100 national rankings and the No. 1 player on the Rivals.com Arkansas Spring Top 10 for the 2016 class.
-Matt Clare

Hot in Cleveland
Houston Westfield wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland has several programs vying for his attention and recently narrowed things down to a Top 10 that included Baylor.

Although the standout receiver has yet to visit the program since the coaches offered, Cleveland continues to include the Bears among his top programs and stated that he does intend to visit the Baylor program this season.

“Coach (Kendal) Briles and I talk every few days,” Cleveland said. “I really want to get up there for a game and hang out with those guys. I’m thinking about setting up an official visit and that will probably happen soon.”

When it comes to Baylor, Cleveland is drawn to the offense and the production at the receiver position in Waco.

“It’s the offense, they throw the ball almost every play and get guys into the NFL at receiver every season,” Cleveland said. “I know that I could come into the offense and catch a lot of balls, get a lot of touches.”

Westfield started the season last night with a big win over a nationally ranked Manvel team on the road, the first of many wins to come for a talented Mustangs team.

“It feels great, we came in here wanting to win this game and my teammates played a hell of a game,” Cleveland said. “We played with a lot of heart, focused on our assignments and came away with the win.”

Rated a four-star prospect, the 6-foot-3, 180-pounder is ranked as the No. 42 receiver in the nation, the No. 190 prospect in the latest Rivals250 national rankings and the No. 32 player on the Rivals.com Texas Spring Top 100 for the 2016 class.
-Matt Clare

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week during the 2015 college football season, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 conference based on performance and what is expected. With the Big 12 season beginning on Thursday, we unveil our initial ranking.

1 -- Baylor: First exhibition game is Friday at SMU
2 – TCU: Horned Frogs better not underestimate Minnesota
3 – Oklahoma State: There 17 starters returning to this team
4 – Oklahoma: Will life be good under new OC Lincoln Riley?
5 – Texas: Production at QB will be the narrative of the season
6 – Texas Tech: New DC David Gibbs has a track record of success
7 – Kansas State: So many questions marks regarding this team
8 – West Virginia: Make or break season for Dana Holgorsen
9 – Iowa State: A definite talent shortage in Ames
10. Kansas – David Beaty has nowhere to go but up
-SicEmSports

Emptying the notebook
>If there were any doubts whether Baylor was right in pursuing Trophy Club Byron Nelson defensive Brandon Bowen, Friday’s season opening performance against Flower Mound should put that to rest. In the Bobcats’ 28-20 victory over Flower Mound Bowen stuffed the stat sheet: 7 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 QB hurries, 3 PBUs, 1 forced fumble. At this point don’t look for him to play on both sides of the ball. He should be concentrating on defense.

>Daingerfield athlete Denzel Mims likely will not be taking any breaks this year. In the 56-20 loss to Gladewater, Mims was involved in all three phases. He had three tackles on defense (starting cornerback), about 110 total yards between rushing and receiving and was involved in the kickoff return game. It’s not new for Mims to do this. But there is validity of being in game shape. “I think I did pretty good,’’ he said. “I just didn’t have a break and just have to get in more shape.’’

>Again, here is the link from Baylor President and Chancellor Ken Starr regarding his announcement of using a third party to investigate what occurred in the sexual assault between Sam Ukwuachu and a former Baylor soccer player. Starr also announced the creation of a position in the athletic department that will oversee student-athlete behavior. At this point, it's unknown the timeframe for that position to be filled and its specific function with regards to working with the university and law enforcement agencies.
-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News