ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 15, 2014

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: The Rivals analysts met earlier this week to put together their latest round of rankings for the 2015 recruits.

All of Baylor's 11 commits were evaluated. The results of the Rivals 100 and 250 will be known at 11 a.m. Monday and Tuesday. There shouldn't be much drama for the rating. Their top three recruits, Temple quarterback Chad President (No. 93) should probably stay in the 100. But if he doesn't my belief is that he will be around 105. Longview running back JaMycal Hasty (No. 210) should probably be in about the same position. I also expect the same for Gilmer athlete Blake Lynch (No. 192). Basically, these three will finish in the 250 by the time Feb. 4, 2015 arrives.

As for the others, the ones to watch, Keller Fossil Ridge safety Montrel Wilson did move up a 3-star recruit (5.5), so he should stay there. Austin St. Michael's defensive back Jameson Houston is borderline to move up to 3-star. He's at a 5.4 rating. It could go either way and it may take the Rivals staff watching him play in 2014 to move him up. I do not expect Austin Westlake linebacker Breckyn Hager to move up. But his position will be like Houston's. Another season could give him that extra tenth.

Just keep in mind, Baylor's 2014 class is going to finish with around 15 commits. So that few a number is going to impact the overall team ranking. Currently, Baylor is No. 41.

-Kevin Lonnquist

President reflects on signing

Temple quarterback Chad President has two firsts with Baylor. He was the first to commit to the Bears (April 27, 2013) and is now the first to sign any documents formalizing his relationship with the program.

Baylor announced President signed his financial aid documents on Wednesday. President has fully recovered from a torn ACL he suffered ironically at Floyd Casey Stadium in September 2013.

"First of all, he's a good player and comes from a great system,'' Baylor coach Art Briles said. "Anytime you know what you're getting before Christmas it's good. You don't have to open the package to see what's in there. We know we're getting him, so that's a good thing.''

President he was surprised to see the documents arrive at his house recently. But Baylor took advantage of an NCAA rule that allows programs to sign mid-semester enrollees to financial aid agreements starting Aug. 1.

"Just seeing how much it cost to attend Baylor for one semester is crazy,'' he said. "I'm just so blessed. This is just like getting married. You make it official and can finally relax because you have your future set.''

With Stephenville QB and Texas Tech commit Jarret Stidham also signing his financial aid agreement with the Red Raiders on Thursday, President is considered the quarterback of this class.

"It's a wise decision for him and a great pickup for us,'' Briles said. "He's just a great athlete and a leader, and a guy we think has a tremendous amount of upside. That's what you look for. I don't want a guy who's peaked out. You want something in the tank. He's a guy with a great future in front of him because of his work ethic and his talent level.

I'm a proponent of the new (Aug. 1) rule without question.''

But December is four months away. That is a bit sobering for President who will leave his childhood years behind pretty soon.

"Yeah I think about it,'' he said. "Sometimes, I get excited and sometimes I don't want it to move fast.''

As we mentioned, we believe Gilmer's Blake Lynch should follow President soon unless there is something regarding his ability to enroll in January that hasn't been resolved.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Fall Camp Observations

Beginning Friday (Aug. 15), Baylor is going to close its practices to the media and public (aside from the first 15 minutes). This is about the time where the coaching staff starts implementing the more sensitive phases of the offense and defense.

That said, here's what we've learned through the first two weeks:

>The starting left guard position is still open between Blake Muir and LaQuan McGowan. It may go down to the week of the opener before Art Briles names his starter. I still think that's going to be Muir.

>WR Corey Coleman's hamstring issue is something to watch but not brood over just yet. This is his second hamstring injury since he arrived at Baylor. As we mentioned in a thread, the only way you're going to know where Coleman is the week of the SMU game. If he is practicing by then, he should be OK to play against the Mustangs.

>Unless there is just this overwhelming performance by Patrick Levels, everything points to senior Collin Brence keeping the starting nickel back position.

>Aside from the minor injuries - over the years training staffs have been more cautious and there really isn't the urgency to bring players back to practice because the sport has become a yearlong event -- and DE Sam Ukwuachu's absence from this roster (he's still with the program), this really has been a quiet camp. The players seem to have a pretty good grasp of what's expected this year and maintained some focus.

>While not much has been said about the running backs Shock Linwood and Devin Chafin, there really doesn't need to be. Linwood looks so much bigger in the upper body especially in the shoulder. And although I've maintained the Baylor would rather redshirt RB Terence Williams, he could see the field against SMU in a change of pace type of situation.

>Maybe all Baylor players wearing numbers five and below should switch numbers. Consider the irony - No. 1 WR Coleman (hamstring), No. 2 RB Johnny Jefferson (knee ligament strain), No. 3 WR Robbie Rhodes (dismissed from the program), No. 4 Jay Lee (hamstring) and No. 5 WR Antwan Goodley (quad). BTW, No. 6 is walkon QB Andrew Frerking.

Fuller eyeing a fall visit

Aaron Fuller wants to play in an offense that throws the ball -- a lot. That's why the 2016 Lucas Lovejoy receiver is so interested in Baylor.

"They've been a good team lately, so I really like them," Fuller told me this week. "They throw the ball a lot, so that would be a good place to show off my talent."

At 5-11, 170, Fuller knows who he is. He's a slot guy that's best used between the hashes so that he can take advantage of a speed difference between him and safeties and linebackers. He mentioned seeing Tevin Reese play for Baylor and said he could fill a similar role.

So far, only SMU has offered, and he puts the Mustangs in his top three with Baylor and TCU. He plans to visit all of them this season, saying "I'll definitely find a Baylor game to go to."

Baylor does have one 2016 commitment from a receiver, (Tren Dickson), but if Fuller has a breakout year, he could get Baylor's attention. Baylor already firmly has his.

- Jake Shaw

McLane Stadium Dress Rehearsal

Baylor's football team will have a scrimmage Saturday at its new home. It is closed to the media and the general public. However, there will be one pool reporter (Jerry Hill from the athletic department web site) who will cover it.

While the football program has given dozens of tours to 2015 and 2016 recruits, this will be the first time for recruits to watch the team in action.

At this point, there will likely be a small gathering for this event. Sachse 2016 WR Devin Duvernay, who was thought to be able to go, said Thursday that he cannot because Sachse has a scrimmage.

Waco Midway products, 2015 WR commit Devontre Stricklin and S Kahlil Haughton were invited but said they could not because Midway will be practicing. There are other players unable to go because of practice or media days.

However, the three that have told SicEmSports they planned on going or are looking to go are:

>Waco LaVega 2016 DB Parrish Cobb

>Waco 2016 DB Eric Cuffee

>Keller Fossil Ridge 2015 S commit Montrel Wilson (he said he's trying to figure out how to get there).

We'll try to find out more as Friday turns into Saturday and keep you informed as best we can. As always, these things are fluid.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Tolbert's recovery

It's been about three months since Fort Bend Marshall defensive back Jordan Tolbert tore his right ACL.

But he took an important step in his recovery on Wednesday. He started jogging. For someone who is coming off major surgery in mid-June, it demonstrates how fast he has progressed through the rehab. Don't be surprised if he's running by October or November. That would be about the same timeframe that Temple quarterback Chad President was on after he tore his ACL in September 2013. President was running by late February of this year.

"I was surprised,'' Tolbert said. "It was kinda weird, but I got used to it.''

Tolbert said he plans on going to Baylor's 2014 opener against SMU. His rehab has been intense comprised of leg presses, squats, one-leg squats, chair squats and step up/step downs on the box.

Tolbert said he was really encouraged by the way his recovery has been progressing. He said he's sometimes going twice a day. In today's game, coming back from an ACL injury isn't the death sentence it used to be. However, Tolbert is still expected to miss the entire 2014 season.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Norwood in touch with Kelley

Baylor's already scored one commitment from a 2016 recruit from Pflugerville in Hendrickson DB KeShawn Somerville. The staff is in talks with another player from that town, 2016 Pflugerville safety Louis Kelley, who has visited Baylor before with Somerville.

"He's been talking up Baylor to me," Kelley told me this week.

So has Baylor. Led by Brian Norwood, the staff keeps in touch with the three-star prospect. They chatted on Tuesday of this week, Kelley said, and are trying to find a good weekend for Kelley to come back to Waco for a visit.

There's no offer yet, but that could change when the staff sees more film on him.

"He's telling me I would be a hybrid safety type," Kelley said. "He like my film and wants to see me play this season."

-Jake Shaw

A poker game of offers

You may remember Bossier City (LA) Parkway defensive back C.J. Morgan coming to Baylor's camp in Marshall.

There was a lot of interaction between Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennet and Morgan. Morgan admitted he probably pressed that day. Baylor remains in communication but an offer may only come depending on what LSU does. If LSU offers, Baylor may not.

A source said LSU has told Morgan that it will offer. But the source also said Morgan doesn't have his heart set on going to LSU. He has picked up some quality offers from Nebraska, UCLA and Mississippi State.

Just keep an eye on this drama. One of the major question marks on Morgan is his height as he stands 5-9. College football is moving to the desire to push for taller defensive backs. So what he's lacking in height, Morgan has to make up for his height with ability, recovery speed and how he can break on the football.

Emptying the notebook

>Mesquite Poteet LB Malik Jefferson said he hasn't set his other two official visits yet and isn't sure when he will announce them. He will take official visits to UCLA, Ohio State and Stanford but hasn't finalized dates. When asked if all five will be out of state, Jefferson said, "Maybe all out of state." So that leaves the door slightly opened for something to happen in Texas.

>Now that he can play for Gilmer this fall, Blake Lynch he expects to play quarterback, running back, safety, wide receiver and safety.

>Baylor 2016 BB commit Mark Vital will remain at Prime Prep Academy in South Dallas while the school is having the appeal of its charter reviewed. The school will remain open - it appears for the 2014-15 season - until a decision is rendered.

>Hope, AR 2016 defensive tackle McTelvin Agim - remember he's good friends with Baylor wide receiver Davion Hall - said Thursday he does plan to try and make one of Baylor's games this fall. He hasn't decided on which game yet.

>Rockwall running back Chris Warren said earlier in the week that he was going to postpone his finalists announcement. But it doesn't affect Baylor anyway. His mother said Baylor didn't send an official offer letter. That's really not a surprise. Baylor had not been tracking Warren for several months.

>The Associated Press' preseason Top 25 poll is expected to be released Sunday. Baylor should be ranked anywhere between 8-12. The Bears are ranked No. 10 in the coaches preseason poll.

-SicEmSports

This post was edited on 8/19 3:54 PM by K Lonnquist

This post was edited on 8/27 8:47 AM by K Lonnquist

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News