ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: April 3, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Briles reviews spring

The presser of Baylor coach Art Briles reviewing the spring:

(Overall): "We're just out trying to improve and figuring out where we stand as individuals and as a team. It's kind of a never ending process. [After Thursday], we'll take a few days off and get back in the weight room and start preparing for the fall.

"The expectations are extremely high and that's a good thing. That's kind of where you want to get as a program where every time we step on the field we expect to win and other people expect us to win. At the same time, there is a responsibility involved with that for our players and coaches and fan base. We've got to give our guys enough freedom to where they can loosely. That's a fine line you have to walk.''

(Has Seth Russell separated himself): "Separate, I don't know. He's going to be given the opportunity to make plays, and we'll see from there. He hasn't done anything to not show that he's capable of doing the job. That's kind of where we're at right now. He's a guy who' been here through four springs and has done a good job when he's had a chance to do it on the football field for us in game situations. We'll see how it all transpires. We've got confidence in him.

"I've seen a bunch. You don't ever get to where you want to get with any quarterback. He's shown the ability to help our football team to win with his feet, his arm and his intelligence, and that's what we're looking for.''

(Important to know who the QB is coming out of camp?):
"Not right now. We've still got 29 practices before we play SMU. We're just going to work and evaluate where we are this spring and then we'll get into fall camp and load it up and do it again.''

(Having a spring game on March 20):
"I've kind liked it because we're getting more work done during practice. You get to work on technique situations. It's really been beneficial for us to practice than to just have a big boom spring game.

(Players standing out):"
Defensively we've been really good and really fast. We've got to work a bunch of guys with a bunch of reps. That's been really good. Offensively a couple of those young inside receivers have gotten a ton of reps to where we're seeing they can help us produce. The older guys have been very effective.

"The keys early in the year are to play great defense and be dominating defensively, especially up front. The offensive line needs to be dominant. That's where we have to start.

"Brian Nance has had a great spring, he's done an outstanding job. Taylor Young has been really dynamic. We knew he'd be really good but he's had an outstanding spring.

"On the offensive side, Kyle Fuller and those guys have to lead the charge for us up front. Tre'Von Armstead at tight end was hurt early and has come back and done a good job.

Defensively the linebackers working with the bear jells pretty quickly. From a slow-jell standpoint, it's usually the receivers and the QB because it takes so much timing and so many different adjustments for those guys to get on the same page. That's kind of what we're looking for right now is that they'll be on the same page every time they step on the field.

Blake (Muir) will probably have to be the backup center. Rami (Hammad) has had a pretty good spring. We'll make sure we've got something in the drawer. We'll be ready in August."

Note: There also may be some thinking that Blake Blackmar could be looked at as the backup center. Remember, when Baylor recruited him, center was mentioned as an option.

-From staff reports

Seth Russell on his spring performance

The Baylor quarterback shared his thoughts of the spring season.

(Overall): "I feel like everything has gone pretty smooth. We've had some learning curves but that's expected with a bunch of young guys and me coming in being able to do things and run the system. I feel like everybody has been doing their part learning the offense and I feel like we've progressed a lot."

(On his progress):
"Just consistency, being able to throw the ball and giving the receiver a chance to make the play and reading the defense and taking what they give me.

(Competition with Jarrett Stidham and Chris Johnson):
"It's been really competitive. Every time there's an open spot everybody is going to be fighting for it. It just pushes me to do better."

(Comfort level between now and start of spring):
"It's been night and day. The coaches and the team have really helped me out with that and the team with being comfortable. The trust has built and we've progressed."

(Spring game two weeks ago):
"It was kind of a curveball but it's all about being able to adjust."

(Chemistry with receivers):
"It's progressing. Every day we're getting better and I'm learning what their weaknesses are and they're learning what my weaknesses are. Being able to watch film and knowing how they're going to run the route and where they're going to be is what it's all about.

You can't complain with the talent we have out there. Jay Lee has done a phenomenal job, he's consistent and strong. He's an older guy and knows the system. But everybody has a chance to step up and make a difference this season."

(Becoming the starter):
"Just consistency and having predictable outcomes is what coach always says. When you're (a sub) it's kind of like scrub minutes and you move the ball down the field to make the clock run out."

(Briles' nickname for him):
"He calls me Scotty. He said he coached a guy named Scotty Russell, and it kind of stuck."

-From Staff Reports

Divinity impressed with Baylor

Before he arrived at the Rivals Camp Series in Cedar Hill, Marrero (LA) John Ehret LB Michael Divinity took in a couple of hours at the Baylor campus and really liked what he saw.

"It was more than I expected,'' he said. "The coaches showed me everything and I got a chance to see a lot. It's a great school and they want to win.''

Divinity, who won the LB MVP honors at the camp and No. 78 in the 2016 Rivals 100, brings an imposing presence. He's extremely quick with his lateral movement and uses his lengthy wingspan to put himself in position to make plays.

Baylor offered Divinity on Saturday and continued to make the impression with him. Divinity has started to get to know his recruiter, Carlton Buckels, and learned how Baylor uses its linebackers in its 4-2-5 approach.

He's received offers from just about every notable program in the country but has a criteria on what he wants in his future home.

"I really want a place where I can come in and play right away,'' he said. "I want to learn from the coaches on what they expect from their linebackers. I know I can pick up what they want me to do. But I want to go to a place where I can get a great education. That is pretty important to me.''

Baylor did make enough of an impression that Divinity wants to return to Waco when the Bears are playing for keeps. Instead of looking at a summer trip - which is something that was originally discussed - he wants to come during the football season. Obviously, that's going to take some doing because playing on Friday in Louisiana and then traveling all the way to Waco will take quite an effort.

"It would give me a good sense as to how things are with the program on game day and what the fans are like and how the staff runs a game,'' he said. "I hope I can do it.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Chambers strengthens bond

Houston MacArthur defensive end Isaiah Chambers, ranked No. 218 in the 2016 Rivals 250 and the No. 28 player in Texas, called his fifth trip to Baylor another solid visit. Following his participation in the Rivals Camp Series in Dallas, Chambers had another reason to take the detour.

Baylor has been on Chambers since January of 2014 and thought it nearly had him at the Jan. 31 Junior Day. But Chambers has recognized that he wants to take things slow. He had an impressive showing at the camp.

He's also become noticeably bigger since the end of the 2014 high school football season. His strength and conditioning program has really helped his upper body including his shoulders. Chambers said he has worked to add strength without losing flexibility.

"I like the Baylor coaches because they treat you really well and make you feel like you're going to be part of the family,'' he said. "Every time I got there, I become more and more comfortable.''

It's going to be a while before Chambers releases a Top 10. He said he's looking at the summer but has no date in mind. To be sure, Baylor should be on it.

"I don't have a time frame of when I'm going to announce,'' he said. "I'm going to wait until after the season. I could see myself announcing on Signing Day [Feb. 3, 2016]. I'm just planning on taking some summer visits. I'm probably going to come back to Baylor in the summer. I'm definitely going to keep considering the, I know that.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Miller settling in

It's been about three weeks since Chris Miller received his offer from Baylor. But he made his first visit to the campus not long ago. The Frisco Lone Star 2016 is slowly but sure building his relationship with the Baylor coaches. They started watching him before his sophomore season and continued to track them.

"It was really great down there,'' Miller said. "There's a good vibe with how they run their practices and getting their defensive players to react and always play with an aggressive style.''

Baylor finished its spring football season on Thursday. There almost seems the likelihood that Miller will return to Waco this spring for either one of the summer camps or to take an unofficial.

"It was good to see how they worked,'' he said. "I like the attitude all of the players have when they're working out.''

Miller is currently unrated by Rivals. But given his offers from the Bears, Mississippi State and Tulsa, expect him to get one during the next ratings period and for it to be pretty flattering.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Brannon ready for spring

Prosper doesn't begin it spring football season until May 4. But 2017 linebacker John Brannon caught the final spring practice of the season. Baylor didn't offer but that didn't stop him from coming down and looking at program that is heavily on his mind. This was Brannon third known trip to Waco.

"The practice was great,'' he said. "It's always fun visiting Baylor.''

Brannon (6-2, 228) would model what Baylor wants in its MLB spot. He spent the majority of his practice watching both Grant Campbell and Taylor Young. He watched how the two just moved laterally regardless of the situation.

"Their technique in coverage was great,'' he said. "I can tell they have been coached heavily on that. I was really impressed they were well coached.''

Brannon is sure to receive a lot of attention at May unfolds. Baylor should be stopping by with linebackers coach Jim Gush.

"He told me that he just needs to see how fast I am personally,'' Brannon said. "That's all that's really left. Then I'll see what happens after that.''

Brannon has yet to receive an offer. However, he is coming off a pretty impressive 2014 where he finished with 107 tackles, 23 tackles for loss and five sacks.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Ivy firm with Baylor?

Lancaster safety Kenan Ivy committed to the Baylor coaching staff almost one month ago to the day. The standout prospect recently participated at the Rivals Camp in Dallas this weekend and caught up with SicEmSports.

"I don't think that I had my best day, but I still learned from a few of the bad reps and know how to correct the mistakes," Ivy said. "The coaches were telling me to take mental reps and understand what to look for, why a certain route or coverage need to happen. I took away a lot from the camp."

Ivy also shared more about his commitment and thoughts on the Baylor program.

"I just feel like Baylor is a good place to be at," Ivy said. "Coach (Jeff) Lebby got in touch with me during my sophomore year and I knew they really wanted me to be a part of the program.

"During my visit, I liked how the coaches are so relaxed and how they treated all of the players."

The defensive coaches seem to already have a plan for Ivy within the Baylor defense.

"The coaches really the way I come down and hit," Ivy said. "They want me to play some safety and nickel back in their defense. I'm used to doing a little of both here at Lancaster and feel comfortable in that position."

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound prospect is firmly committed to Baylor, but admitted that other programs have continued to recruit him since the verbal commitment to the Bears.

"Tulsa, Missouri, Arkansas State and a couple of other schools are still showing interest," Ivy said. "I will probably take some official visits during the season, but I'm mostly done with my recruitment now."

Ivy chose Baylor over offers from Wisconsin, Missouri, Arkansas State and Tulsa. Ranked a three-star prospect, Ivy is the No. 35 safety in the nation and the No. 83 prospect in the Rivals Texas Postseason Top 100 for the 2016 class.

-Matt Clare

Eisworth presents flexibility

South Grand Prairie (Texas) athlete Greg Eisworth received an offer from the Baylor coaching staff in late January and reconnected with SicEmSports at the Rivals Camp in Dallas this weekend.

"Coach (Jeff) Lebby came by our school a lot this past year with my teammate Tony Nicholson committed to Baylor," Eisworth said. "He would always tell me that he really liked my style and one day Coach Lebby came through with the offer."

Eisworth is building a good relationship with the Baylor coaches and recently visited Waco to watch the team go through spring practice.

"I went to their junior day which was very nice," Eisworth said. "I really like the coaching staff at Baylor. They were really intense and I like that a lot. I also visited another time for a spring practice and got to see the team go through a full workout."

The standout prospect shared more about his conversations with the Baylor defensive coaches.

"The Baylor coaches want me at safety," Eisworth said. "They basically like that I'm an overall playmaker and true athlete on the field. I can play up in the box or stay back in coverage, either is fine with me."

Eisworth currently holds seven FBS offers and is receiving interest from several new programs.

"I'm hearing from several new coaches lately," Eisworth said. "I have coaches from Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Stanford, TCU, Utah, Texas Tech and Texas A&M all showing interest right now.

"I also have a visit setup to Ole Miss on April 10th. We are going to stay the night and attend the spring game on the 11th. Other than that, I don't have any other visits setup at the moment."

Rated a three-star prospect, Eisworth is the No. 65 athlete in the nation and the No. 92 prospect in the Rivals Texas Postseason Top 100 for the 2016 class.

-Matt Clare

Alexander has an update

Lancaster (Texas) athlete Tyrell Alexander received an offer from the Baylor coaches in early February and reconnected with SicEmSports at the Rivals Camp in Dallas this weekend.

"The camp went pretty good," Alexander said. "There was a lot of talent out here, a lot of competition and I got some good work in during the one-on-ones."

Listed as an athlete, Alexander does many different things for his team at Lancaster and that is exactly what the Baylor coaches liked most about his game.

"They offered me sometime in the beginning of February and told me they were going to recruit me as an athlete," Alexander said. "I could play both ways and they want to use me all around the field."

The standout prospect recently visited Baylor and shared more about his meeting with Coach Art Briles.

"It was a nice environment at Baylor," Alexander said. "I talked with Coach Briles again, and he calls me almost every weekend to talk. I also talked with Coach (Jeff) Lebby and he is my main recruiter. He is a great guy and we have a good relationship."

Alexander's teammate at Lancaster, safety Kenan Ivy, is committed to Baylor and has been recruiting for the Bears.

"Yes, I'm really considering Baylor and would like to play with Kenan again," Alexander said. "I'm still open right now, but just waiting for the right time to make my decision."

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound prospect has plans to visit a few other programs here in the state of Texas this month.

"I might be visiting SMU soon," Alexander said. "I'm also taking a visit to Texas Tech sometime later this month or early this summer. Those are the only other visits that I have setup right now, but I know there will be a few more."

Rated a three-star prospect, Alexander is the No. 42 athlete in the nation and the No. 51 prospect in the Rivals Texas Postseason Top 100 for the 2016 class.

-Matt Clare

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News