ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: April 22, 2022 (SPRING GAME VISITORS - MAJOR LATE ADDITION)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Notable Spring Game Visitors

SicEmSports put together a list of those recruits who confirmed they plan to attend Saturday’s spring game at McLane Stadium that begins at noon. As always, this list is subject to change.

Note: He’s coming Friday for an unofficial and will stay overnight and attend the game.

Cory Huff, 2023 Aldine Nimitz, DB (Baylor commit)

Daniel Cruz, 2024 Richland, OL, (Baylor offer)

Myles Graham, 2024, College Park (GA) Woodward Academy (Baylor offer)

DJ Sanders, 2025, Bellville (TX), DE (Baylor interest)

Ray'Quan Bell, 2024, Spring Westfield, OL (Baylor offer)

Mike Uini, 2024, Copperas Cove, OL (Baylor offer)

Xavier Filsaime, 2024, McKinney, Ath (Baylor offer)

Ka'Vion Dotson-Walker, 2024, Duncanville, S (Baylor offer)

Micah Gifford, 2023, Pflugerville Weiss, WR (Baylor commit)

Dakorien Moore, 2025, Duncanville, WR, (Baylor offer)

Corey Kelly, 2023, League City Clear Falls, LB (Baylor offer)

A'Marion Peterson, 2023, WF Hirschi, RB (Baylor offer)

Kenyan Kelly, 2024, Denison, DB (Baylor offer)

Brendan Jordan, 2023, Mansfield, S (Baylor interest; Texas Tech commit)

Notable: Baylor is out of the running for Frisco Wakeland 2023 OL and Rivals No. 245 Connor Stroh…Baylor 2023 commits QB Austin Novosad and TE Hawkins Polley will not be at the spring game as they are competing in the national 7on7 tournament in Phoenix this weekend. They are not on the same team. Phoenix TE Matthew Klopfenstein will be joining them…Speaking of Novosad, he said contact with A&M is still there but only says it’s more about the Aggies just keeping in touch.

Porter feels the heat
Cy Ranch 2023 defensive end Ashton Porter understands the pipeline that has developed between that school’s football program and Baylor.

With the current Baylor roster carrying three and about to add a fourth in offensive lineman Bryce Simpson, the pressure to continue the trend is gently being applied by others including family.

[Basketball player] LJ Cryer is my cousin,’’ Porter said. “He keeps telling me, ‘Come to Baylor. Come to Baylor.’ I like it up there. They’re probably going to get an official visit from me.’’

Porter came to Baylor for the April 9 practice. While he said he doesn’t plan to attend Saturday’s spring football game, there’s plenty that he knows about the program through that visit and others. That visit was his fourth.

The 4-star product is prognosticated on the Rivals FutureCast to go to Texas. However, a lot can change. He is planning on announcing his commitment decision at the UA All-American game in January 2023.

“I already love it there,’’ he said. “There’s not that much to see. They gave me the whole layout. I took pictures in uniforms. It’s all about communication with the coaches and how everything has changed.

“I’d play in the Jack position OLB and I’m a great fit for them. A lot of people leaving and they really need me.”

Porter has developed a pretty solid relationship with new outside linebackers coach Caleb Collins. The two talk pretty much every day.

“I love how the coaches coach. They don’t cuss them out. They try to coach them up to perfection, and I like that.

“They’ve definitely made it this far for a (Top 10). I’ll release my Top 10 after summer and just try to narrow everything down.”

Ranked as the No. 27 strong side defensive end, Porter is the No. 62 player in Texas.

Porter film

Chapman ready for next step
It’s been a year that’s challenged Fort Bend Mashall defensive end Zachary Chapman. But the 2023 standout knows he is just now rounding into form.

A year removed from a torn ACL, it’s only now that he’s starting to become the prospect that many others believe he can be. Chapman missed most of Marshall’s 2021 season. However, he was well enough to play in the last three games of that season. As he said, “I had to fight through it for my team.’’

“It’s been hard running and rehabbing every week just to get back to what I was the week before my injury,’’ he said. “I think I can be even better.”

Baylor never flinched after he suffered the injury. That’s a reason why he’s hoping to attend Saturday’s spring game at McLane Stadium. The ceiling for his talent is just a starting point.

When he competed at the Rivals Camp Series event April 9 at Coppell High School, Chapman looked like a player who was explosive. His first step was good. The wingspan was impressive. His ability to shed blockers was impressive.

“I felt like I could have done better,’’ he said. “But I thought that experience they were giving out was just beneficial to me. Even with my mess ups and failures, they just coached me through it.”

Going through spring football will be pretty important for Chapman in how Baylor and other schools continue to evaluate him. It may turn out that other schools may jump in and offer him.

Chapman film

Cruz cruising with Baylor
It isn’t lost on Richland 2024 offensive lineman Daniel Cruz that Baylor was the first program to offer him.

“My relationship with Baylor has been great,’’ Cruz said. “I face time with them a lot and coach [Dave] Aranda. I’m developing a great relationship with [offensive line coach Eric] Mateos.

“Coach Mateos is super chill. He’s a down to earth guy. He’s always caring about what you’re doing off the chill.’’

Baylor is among his first five offers. The others are SMU, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Tulsa. More should be coming as Richland opens up its spring football season next week.

He also expects to go through some summer camps. The offseason and summer before a prospect’s junior year can be pivotal. That’s what Cruz is hoping will occur. Time will tell.

With his game, he is quick on his feet and does carry a mean streak and ability to play physical. He showed some of that at the Rivals Camp Series event April 9 at Coppell.

“I’m just trying to improve to be fast and physical because I’ve got the strength to lead with,’’ Cruz said. “I feel like I’m pretty good with my run blocking get nasty with my pass blocking.”

Cruz has already come to Baylor to check out a spring practice. He hopes to make it down for Saturday’s spring game.

“I’d say Baylor is in my Top 5 right now,’’ Cruz said. “Spring practice was pretty good. A lot of energy and fast paced. I just want to learn more about Baylor with what they do academically.’’

Cruz film

Baseball: at No. 10 Texas
Sitting in seventh place in the Big 12 standings but on a four-game winning streak, the Bears (20-17, 4-8) are making what likely is their final charge to get into the NCAA tournament conversation as they visit the Longhorns (27-13, 6-6) at Disch-Falk Field.

The Bears finally won their first Big 12 series last weekend when they won two of three against Kansas. Texas began the season as preseason No. 1 but has been beset by injuries and inconsistencies.

Texas leads the all-time series 247-112-4 over Baylor. Under Steve Rodriguez, Baylor is 6-9.

All games can be seen on the Longhorn Network.

PROBABLE STARTERS
Friday • 6:30 p.m. • RHP Will Rigney (2-1, 4.42 ERA) vs. LHP Pete Hansen (6-1, 2.78 ERA)
Saturday • 1:00 p.m. • LHP Kobe Andrade (3-1, 3.20 ERA) vs. RHP Tristan Stevens (4-4, 4.37 ERA)
Sunday • 1:00 p.m. • LHP Tyler Thomas (4-3, 1.97 ERA) vs. LHP Lucas Gordon (3-1, 2.74 ERA)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News