ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: April 11, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Lewis wants to see Baylor

When you look at Washington, (D.C.) Gonzaga's Marcus Lewis everybody on the East Coast and in Big 10 country knows who he is.

Now Baylor does as well.

When the Bears offered Lewis Tuesday, Lewis (6-1, 190) was surprised yet humbled that the reigning Big 12 champions had taken such an interest. The discussions with both Brian Norwood and Jim Gush went so well that the Rivals No. 76 recruit wants to schedule a visit sometime in June.

"Coach Gush and I talked about everything, and then they offered,'' Lewis said. "I started looking everything about them online. I took a video tour of the new stadium. It's going to be real.

"I actually watched them on TV against Oklahoma and the Fiesta Bowl. I was just casually watching them. But when I talked with coach Norwood, he said they have a Top 5 offense in the country. But they're working to get to being a Top 5 defense.''

Lewis isn't staying in nation's capital for too long. He plans to transfer to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. this summer and play his senior year there. For now, he's attending the Rivals Camp Series stop Sunday at St. John's College High School in the greater Washington-Baltimore area.

After starting full-time as a junior, he gained a reputation as an aggressive press man cover corner. Even though Gonzaga played a lot of zone, Lewis has the 4.3 speed and the recovery speed that catches a lot of these programs.

There should be an excuse for him to make the trip to Baylor. He's looking into attending a defensive backs camp run by Deion Sanders June 27-29 Dallas-Fort Worth area. With Waco being so close, it makes sense to go a little further south. It would be his first visit to Texas.

"I'm really serious about doing this,'' Lewis said. "I'm moving to Bradenton in June by myself, so it's going to be busy. But this is a great opportunity.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Breaking down the post-spring depth chart

Now that the spring has come and gone, Baylor has -- officially -- reorganized its two-deep. Below, I break down the roster, position by position. And look for an updated In-Depth Chart soon (our feature that breaks down the roster by depth and experience).

Quarterback:
Nothing to see here. Like last year, Bryce Petty will be backed up by Seth Russell, who should only play mop-up duty if things go right. The only concern at this position is when 2015 comes around. Will Russell or Chris Johnson be ready? Will Baylar go with a true freshman? That's something the staff will worry about a year from now.

Running back:
While Johnny Jefferson had a head-turning spring, he's still third behind Shock Linwood and Devin Chafin. Fourth-stringer Terence Williams, a true freshman, likely won't play this fall unless Baylor is forced to burn his redshirt because of injury.

Receiver:
Two seniors (Levi Norwood and Antwan Goodley) are established, while Goodley especially is a star-caliber player. The other two starters (Jay Lee at outside WR, and Corey Coleman on the inside) are primed for big years, especially from Coleman, who had a huge spring. Clay Fuller is the only backup with experience; he showed excellent hands last fall. After that, a cadre of young but talented players might be called on if the first-stringers are injured or, for some reason, inadequate. Robbie Rhodes and Quan Jones will back up Lee, while Davion Hall is the second-teamer at the other outside job, despite missing much of the spring. Lynx Hawthorne worked his way into second-team IR behind Norwood after playing special teams as a RS freshman. Not on the depth chart is KD Cannon, who will likely get a chance to see the field this fall.

Tight end:
The worries of replacing Jordan Najvar and Jerod Monk have been partly assuaged by Tre'Von Armstead, the former tackle who has really taken to his new job. He'll be backed up by Gus Penning, who was injured much of his sophomore year after leaving the JUCO ranks, and early enrollee Jordan Feuerbacher, a true freshman.

Offensive tackle:
The coaches have to love their tackle tandem of Troy Baker and Spencer Drango, who was cleared to play right after the spring ended. And Pat Colbert is a great guy to have as backup. After that, it's a bit dicey. Tyler Edwards is listed as the backup to Baker -- as well as taking second-string center. This is a top-heavy depth chart, one that will be stretched if the position has injuries once again.

Interior OL:
Desmine Hilliard is back to build on his debut starting season at RG, but he'll have two new starters jointing him. Kyle Fuller won the starting center job and had a good spring; LaQuan McGowan has more proving to do (at least in my opinion) but is the starting LG for now. That job was supposed to go to JUCO transfer Jarell Broxton, but he's the backup RG. Backing up at LG is Blake Muir, the former Hawaii tackle who looked like he'd move to center, but is now listed as the co-starter with McGowan. Edwards, mentioned as the backup RT, is also the backup center.

Defensive end:
Jamal Palmer and Shawn Oakman have moved from last year's backup's to this year's starters and, frankly, should prove to be upgrades. Behind them are RS freshman KJ Smith and Sam Ukwuachu, the Boise State transfer who missed the spring with a torn pectoral muscle. Noticeably missing: Brian Nance, also a RS freshman and a former all-American in high school.

Defensive tackle:
Andrew Billings parlayed his big true freshman season into a starting role, beating out Suleiman Masumbuko at nose tackle. Javonte Magee, meanwhile, was good enough in his return to become co-starter at DT along with Beau Blackshear. Byron Bonds is listed as third behind them. Seniors Trevor Clemens-Valdez and Terrell Brooks didn't make the depth chart, but it shows how deep Baylor is here.

Linebacker:
He missed the spring while recovering from the injury that cost him several games in 2013, but Bryce Hager has been cleared to play and is, as he should be, the starter at MLB. Baylor lists Kendall Ehrlich as the co-backup with JUCO transfer Grant Campbell, so it looks like Campbell will not replace Eddie Lackey on the outside. For now, that's going to Aiavion Edwards, a middle linebacker last year. He's ahead of RS freshmen Taylor Young and Raaquan Davis, listed as co-backups. I like Edwards here; his size and speed seem better suited to this job.

Nickel back:
No position stunned me more than this. Not only was pre-spring front-runner Kiante Griffin not on the depth chart, a walk-on -- Collin Brence -- is listed as the starter. He's backed up by Patrick Levels, a former RB/CB who doesn't quite have the size of past players at this job. This will be a position to watch for sure.

Cornerback:
This position also stands out. Terrence Singleton worked in at safety a lot the past two-plus years, but he's won a starting job, ahead of fellow sophomore Ryan Reid. On the other side are Xavien Howard and JUCO transfer Chris Sanders, listed as co-starters. Not on the depth chart are Baylor's two seniors: Tuswani Copeland and Tyler Stephenson. Looks like they might not be factors in their final seasons. Tion Wright also missed the two-deep, but the JUCO transfer is only a sophomore and has more time to work how way into the lineup.

Safety:
Terrell Burt missed the spring but remains as a starter, ahead of Taion Sells, who played as a true freshman last year. Burt will start with Orion Stewart, who was the likely candidate to take over for Ahmad Dixon all along. RS freshman Alfred Pullom will run second-team here.

Overall thoughts: Offensively, my only concern (something you've picked up on over the last few weeks) is the depth on the offensive line. If this unit stays healthy, I think it will be an excellent unit, even without the departed Cyril Richardson. An injury or two will really test that, though. I think the receiving corps is deeper this year and could be equally explosive, if not more so. The running backs aren't much of a dropoff considering what Baylor lost.

Defensively, nickel back is an overlooked position, but it's a tad worrisome that Colin Brence -- a walk-on -- is listed as a starter at a job that was ably manned by Sam Holl last year and Ahmad Dixon before that. I've been concerned about OLB, but I really like Aiavion Edwards at that job. I think he fits the role perfectly. Baylor just needs Bryce Hager to return to his old form now. The defensive line should be good with a chance to be great. It's talented and deep. I need to see more from Terrence Singleton at corner, but I like his upside. Same for Xavien Howard/Chris Sanders at the other job. Both aren't proven, but both have great size to go with good speed to be difference makers.

Basically, from what I can tell with this depth chart, Baylor has the players to make a run at another Big 12 title. If some of the surprise names have big years, the Bears have a great chance of repeating.

-Jake Shaw

Lampkin not so solid with Sooners?

Baylor has kept its eye on Cy Falls defensive tackle and Oklahoma commit Du'Vonta Lampkin. In fact the staff extended an offer to Lampkin after he committed to the Sooners on Nov. 25, 2013.

Lampkin (6-4, 306) said he has kept in touch with the Baylor coaches off and on and said he is interested. The next step for the staff is to try and find a way to get him on campus for an unofficial visit. That may or may not ever happen.

However, you can be assured that someone will be at Cy Falls' spring football workouts when they start at the end of this month. Lampkin has also expressed some interest in Texas, but he remains committed to Oklahoma.

Still, with Lampkin willing to listen to other schools, it would appear that this race is not over. Now, the Sooners remain the team to beat here. But there's an opening for Baylor.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Durham or Jefferson?

Had an interesting discussion with an unnamed third party discussion with someone who has seen both Plano East linebacker Landis Durham and Mesquite Poteet linebacker Malik Jefferson.

Now, each is at a different position. Durham (6-3, 228) plays on the inside. Jefferson (6-2, 218) is on the outside. Both are great physical specimens. Of course, Jefferson has the national attention as he is ranked as the No. 22 prospect in the country. Durham is a solid 3-star recruit with great offers from Nebraska, Texas A&M and Washington.

Baylor has yet to offer, but if this third party had to choose about which one he would want, he would go with Durham.

"They're both great players,'' the person said. "For me, I like Landis because if you're in a street fight, you know he's going to have you back. There's just a toughness to him that I really like.

"Each is going to really make an impact in college. I just really like the relentless way Landis plays.''

Durham said he still hopes to keep in contact with Baylor and wants to try and schedule an unofficial visit to Waco in the near future. That may likely come at one of the June camps on the school campus.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball Notable - Scheduling

As Baylor awaits sophomore center Isaiah Austin's decision to either declare or remain at Baylor, the coaching staff continues to work on the 2014-15 schedule.

We can tell you that the Bears will be in the Las Vegas Invitational Nov. 27-28 at the Orleans Hotel. Baylor is scheduled to play Memphis in one semifinal. Illinois is scheduled to play Indiana State. Baylor's campus site opponent has yet to be determined. It would either be Prairie View A&M or Stephen F. Austin. Other teams in the tournament are Brown and Eastern Washington.

The coaching staff is already looking for an exempt event for 2015-16.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baseball vs. Dallas Baptist

The Bears (15-17, 4-7 in Big 12) take a weekend off from Big 12 play and play a split 3-game series with Dallas Baptist. Game 1 will be at 6:30 p.m. Friday at DBU followed by a doubleheader beginning at 3:00 p.m. Saturday at Baylor Ballpark

Offense continues to plague this team which has dropped six of its last eight and has yet to win a Big 12 road game. The Patriots (23-9) have won eight of their last 10 but lost to TCU on Tuesday, 7-1. Baylor lost to Sam Houston State on Tuesday, 4-3. Baylor leads the all-time series with DBU, 45-21 and has won six straight meetings.

LHP Brad Kuntz (4-0, 2.64 ERA) opens the series Friday. Right-handers Austin Stone (3-3, 2.22) and Dillon Newman (3-2, 2.68) are scheduled for Saturday.

-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Fort Bend Ridge Point DB Jordan Tolbert tweeted Thursday night that he has decommitted from Houston and re-opening his commitment. When reached, Tolbert said he is not committing anytime soon and will release a Top 5 or Top 10 when the timing is right. Baylor should be somewhere on those lists.

>As for Wylie S/LB T'Kevian Rockwell, his situation with Baylor remains fluid. If he ever arrives on campus it will come down to him being academically sound and Baylor finding room on its roster through possible roster attrition.

>Team rankings are being conducted for the 2015 class. Baylor's class is ranked No. 21 but that number is skewed because Navarro College OL Mo Porter does not have a ranking as of yet.

>Baylor targets DB Kendall Sheffield from Fort Bend Marshall, Mesquite Poteet LB Malik Jefferson, Cedar Hill WR Damarkus Lodge, Pflugerville Hendrickson DB P.J. Mbanasor and Euless Trinity OL Patrick Vahe (committed to Texas but Baylor is pushing) have been invited The Opening July 5-10 at Nike's headquarters in Beaverton, OR.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News