ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor 2024 QB target Adams reviews visit

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The vibe between Baylor and 2024 pro-style quarterback Deuce Adams appears to be taking it to that next level.

On Monday, the New Braunfels Canyon signal caller used the first day of his Spring Break to visit the program, get a better look at the facilities – present and what is to come – and get to know the coaching staff a little better than he had. He spent the previous Sunday at the Under Armour event.

This was Adams’ first visit since attending the Jan. 29 Junior Day. While those types of events have their place entertaining a number of recruits, Monday’s visit offered a little more substance and eventually can make the difference.

The Bears offered Adams shortly after the Junior Day. The two sides have been talking since this past October.

“The most important thing I got out of it was how I’m going to develop as a QB to get to the NFL,’’ Adams said. “We had some good meetings Monday about the offense. Went well. I got a lot out of it.’’

Adams spent a healthy amount of his time visiting with offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes and quarterbacks coach Shawn Bell. And he should have done that. After all, if he picks Baylor, these are the two coaches, he’s going to have the most interaction within the program.

Since the offer Adams has been having daily communication with Bell. Baylor had been in the running for other QBs. But when they evaluated Adams a little more, there was a lot to like.

Baylor’s RVO offense allows for its quarterbacks to make plays. While it is focused on the running game and establishing that with a physical approach, the quarterback still has to be a decision maker, not a spectator.

In fact, Adams may have had the best description of it when he came through Monday’s meetings.

“This is the kind of offense where you’re doing things like you see in [San Francisco 49er head coach Kyle] Shanahan’s offense,’’ Adams said. “I saw a lot of that.’’

Adams threw for more than 3,000 yards along with 34 touchdowns against six interceptions in 2022. His expectations are for those numbers to be even greater in 2023.

To this point, Baylor’s main competitors are Louisville and Boston College. He plans on visiting Louisville April 1-3 and has set an official visit to BC on June 17. Nothing yet has been set with Baylor. That could be a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News