ADVERTISEMENT

Art Briles, Dana Holgorsen Big 12 conference call segments

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Here are both of them as they prepare for Saturday at McLane Stadium.

Art Briles, Baylor
On when he believed recruiting was starting to turn:
“When we signed [RGIII] and Kendal [Wright] in 2008. Those were hits. As far as turning, it was after Robert’s Heisman season in 2011. We started a pretty regional brand. It’s increased since then. It’s completely different. The attitude and the perception. We’re getting calls from really good guys instead of guys not answering the phone five years ago.’’

On revenge against West Virginia: “We’re just trying to keep going with what we. It’s not anyone’s fault but us last year. It needs to be on us. That’s really the way we’ve approached it. We have a job to do, and we’ve gotta do it.’’

On the high level the offense is playing: “It’s still hard to say because it’s early. We’ve played five games. I still think there’s a lot opportunity for us and from a team standpoint…offense, defense, special teams. All of those questions will start to be answered this Saturday. Time determines reality of what will happen this season.’’

On where the defense is: “We thought they’d be able to be pretty good this year. We have guys who can run. It’s starting to gel a little bit. Guys are getting comfortable with what [Phil Bennett] is doing.’’

On the loss at West Virginia in 2014: “They just whipped our tail bottom line. They did a great job. Our hat’s off to them. They were happy that evening and we went home not happy.’’

On West Virginia QB and Texas native Skyler Howard: “He’s very intelligent with mobility and a uniqueness. He has a great mine and ability to throw the ball. I’m not surprised how well he’s doing at West Virginia. Dana has done a tremendous job with QBs.”

On how good the wide receivers are and their effectiveness: “Our ability to run the ball helps us as much as anything (this is your publisher, ahem) well enough to help our wide receivers and quarterbacks.”

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
On the turnovers (West Virginia has committed 9 in the last two games) and how to correct it:
“We just got to go out there together and play better. We talk about ball security. There is a problem with our exchange. We teach guys to hang on to the ball. But we’ve had three different guys fumble and [QB Skyler Howard] has forced a couple [throws]. Nothing else you can do but execute better.’’

On if Baylor is the same or better: “They look better to me. They’re incredibly efficient on offense. They haven’t missed a beat with the new QB [Seth Russell]. Defensively, they have the same guys. A lot of continuity.’’

On Howard and RB Wendell Smallwood rushing: “That’s been the bright spot offensively. We’ve averaged 225 yards per game. Skyler has done a good job in the run game. Wendell is our best offensive player.’’

On Jarrod Harper taking over for safety Karl Joseph: “I thought he stepped in there and did well. He was aggressive against the run game. The biggest thing we were concerned about is losing the physical part because no one brings what Karl brings. Jared played a lot of snaps. He faded toward the end because he played a lot of snaps. He just wasn’t used to it. But his overall production was good. He played well and I expect him to get better.’’…Karl will have surgery on his knee this week and meet us in Waco because that’s what captains do.’’

On involving QBs in the running game: That’s something that I’ve experimented with more and more. It’s not a secret. When your QB is more mobile, it helps everything. It’s why our running game is better. You want to protect him but him being able to run makes the defense account for him.’’

On consecutive road games at Baylor and TCU: “They’re tough road tests. We just have to get back to work. The overall picture is that they have the opportunity to play this great game. We’re excited to be in the Big 12 and having to play top quality teams. Our preparation for Baylor is no different than what is was for Oklahoma State or the week before. That’s what they signed up for.’’

On Baylor’s wide receivers: “[Corey] Coleman is playing lights out. He’s fun to watch. I watched him. He’s physical and has great ball skills. He runs great routs….this is the deepest receiving corps I’ve ever seen.’’

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News