ADVERTISEMENT

Art Briles, Bob Stoops Big 12 Coaches Segments (INJURY UPDATES)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Here are the segments on the two coaches in preparation for Saturday's game.

Art Briles, Baylor

Briles said at his Monday afternoon presser that DT Byron Bonds (knee strain) didn't appear as if he would be able to play. However, NT Andrew Billings (ankle) was in better shape following the Kansas State game than the staff anticipated. We'll see what that means on Saturday.

On continuing to build the national names:
"It’s a 10-12 year process of changing people’s perception. We’re in year 5-6 of this process."

On what makes his scheme different from others: “ I don’t know how we are different from what others do. All we do is make first downs and get points on the board. We’ve been doing what we do for a long time. I’m not sure there is an answer. You do what you believe in and hope it works."

On GameDay coming: "It’s a good deal for Baylor, the city of Waco and the state of Texas. That’s a big time deal. It’s very good for our university.

“Every game is a big game. But the biggest you always have is the next one. That’s what it really is. We’ve got to be mentally sound and physically ready to go. So we move through the season they keep getting bigger if you take care of business.’’

Oklahoma on film: "Year in and year out, they’re disciplined and fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball with really good people. That hasn’t changed since 2008. "

On if OU has improved from the Texas game: "It’s hard to say. Ask coach Stoops. He’s more in tuned. Every time you step on the field, anything you can happen. They’ve played extremely well in my opinion."

On Jeff Lebby serving the first half suspension: "I have not been through anything like. We’ll figure out a way to make it work. That’s our job."

On Jarrett Stidham and how he handled the first start: He’s fortunate. What more could you ask for. Not many guys get to do what he did early in his career.’’

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
On the racial incidents at OU this past summer and what he did with his team:
"I was listening to them and allowing them to express what they needed to…you’re doing your best to let them know you understand what they were going through."

On if it was difficult: "All of it was difficult and hurtful and tough to work through really."

On if Baylor is a Big 12/National Title elimination game: "I don’t know. We play a lot of games. So every week we do our best to practice and the things that give us the best opportunity to win."

On the challenges Corey Coleman presents: "Many. The biggest challenge is the run. You have to deal with that which is so explosive. If you do that, then he’s tough to cover. He’s a very dynamic player."

On if the Texas loss was motivation: "I don’t know if it was motivation. But we needed to continue to improve. The bottom line was we had to get better each and every week."

On the OU offense’s balance: "Definitely. It’s been a better execution of the running game. That’s been improving.’’

On Baylor FR QB Jarrett Stidham: He completed 70 percent of his passes. He threw good deep balls. It looked to me nothing change. It’s a big factor. They have very explosive big plays in their passing game. Tough to manage for sure.

On Baylor’s defense: “It’s overlooked because of how prolific the offense is. It’s in the top three of every of every defensive category I think. There’s a lot of good playmakers. With Phil, they are sound fundamentally. They do a really good job defensively.’

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News