ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
It’s the first of three big weeks for Baylor's football program. So you need a song to fit the moment. You need that jam that will get you going for a big week. There will be the storylines, the excitement, a visit from ESPN’s College GameDay and a primetime national broadcast for all of the United States to see. So what better than to throw in this one-hit wonder from Donnie Iris

So the most defining three weeks of Baylor football is upon us. There’s no turning back now. The gauntlet of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and TCU is here. This is where this program controls its fate and either plays its way into the national playoffs, plays its way into the New Years 6 or settles for just some other bowl.

That’s what we’re looking at. These are the dreams Art Briles envisioned when he arrived on the Brazos in December 2007. At the time, many were hopeful. The majority were jaded and probably took the stance of, “Good luck with that given our history.’’ But it goes to show that if you remain passionate to your belief system and know that it has a strong track record, then you can be successful.

All Baylor fans were hoping for was for this program to be competitive and not look as lousy as it had in the forgotten latter 1990s and the dark times of the 2000s. To win consecutive Big 12 championships, compete for a third and be in the national championship discussion is beyond anything that has ever been believed possible. But when the signature college TV pregame show is coming to your building for an annual appearance, then you know you’re doing something right.

As for this game with the Sooners, this is going to come down to the Baylor defense. I’m not concerned about what the Baylor offense is going to do – well, just don’t have Shock Linwood run east to west and you’ll be fine – because this unit should put up at least 30 points. There are just too many options with this group for it not to score. Yet I’m really looking at that defensive front four of Shawn Oakman, Jamal Palmer, Beau Blackshear and the not healthy Andrew Billings. Billings’ health is the primary issue here. That ankle sprain is going to stay with him for the remainder of the season. You can tape the bejeebers out of it and there’s still going to be a move where he tweaks it. That tape will get a loose a little because of the constant movement and the sweat running into it. Even a brace can do so much.

We’re going to find out probably in the first two Oklahoma offensive possessions whether Billings can be effective like what we saw in the first 5 ½ games (remember, he suffered the injury in the second half against West Virginia). If he’s similar to what he was against Kansas State, then the red alert lights are going to flash a lot. The disappointing element about the Kansas State game is that KSU’s real chance to stay in it was to grind the clock and keep the ball away from the Baylor offense. This is the Big 12’s worst offense and Baylor’s defense could not get it off the field on some occasions. Like I said, I think Baylor’s defense had a solid night up until the fourth quarter. Yet the 9-minute drive KSU deployed on its first possession that led to the tying touchdown should have given you the sense that this can’t be good. That’s a reflection of Billings not being healthy.

Andrew Billings is the best player on this team in my opinion. That’s not a slight to Corey Coleman or Shock Linwood (I’m not putting Shawn Oakman in there because he’s too inconsistent). But the fact of the matter is that you can see what Art Briles was talking about when he said finding a really good nose tackle is harder than finding a really good quarterback. Billings’ loss just changes so many dynamics. Obviously, it changes the personnel groupings where you’re trading the 300-pound Billings for the 255-pound K.J. Smith. Plus, you’re losing the brute strength that Billings provides. You just can’t substitute for it. That’s where the look of this defensive line changes.

A healthy Billings influences how you want to play your coverages in the secondary. A healthy Billings influences how everything can flow to the linebackers. A healthy Billings can draw more double teams and free up the defensive ends to crash down from the outside. It’s like one of those things that you appreciate his presence. But you REALLY appreciate him more when he’s not there or not healthy.

If I’m Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, the first thing I would have said to Offensive Coordinator Lincoln Riley in Sunday’s meetings is, “I’m tired of losing to those guys in Waco. I want to jam Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon down Baylor’s throat to start off this game and see how that team responds.’’ It would make sense. That’s the reason I’m very concerned for Baylor’s chances. And for me, it’s not silly to suggest that one player can change a game. But he can.

My hindsight at playing Billings at Kansas State hasn’t changed. He had nearly three weeks to rest, rehab and treat that ankle. Baylor had him to get him out there. He had to play. There were no guarantees when he stepped out there that everything was going to hold up. But then again, there are no guarantees when any healthy football player steps between the lines. His next play could be his last. As a high school football coach told me Sunday, "If you're not playing with something hurting, then you're probably putting up your shoulder pads.''

But this is what it is. This is what Baylor has to deal with. We’ll find out Saturday how Baylor lines up and plays this. If Billings is gimpy, then I could see the Bears loading up the box – Why didn’t Phil Bennett do this against Kansas State? I don’t know – to try and take that away. But then you open up the possibility for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield to go one on one with the Baylor DBs or him keeping it and making plays with his feet.

A lot more will be discussed as we move forward. This is the Big 12’s November to Remember. This is what we wanted. Saturday tells a lot more.

And remember Baylor RB coach Jeff Lebby coach is suspended for the first half of Saturday's game because of him being on the sidelines at Memorial Stadium in September when he went to watch Tulsa-Oklahoma. Lebby was a guest for former Baylor OU offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery who is now Tulsa's head coach.

We’ll build up the list of visitors who are coming to the game on Saturday throughout the week. But this is the game that Baylor has been pointing to for weeks to draw big names. As you know, I have a policy of checking later in the week when plans become finalized. So much can happen between Monday and Thursday. Transportation issues come to mind.

What does help is that there are a lot of highs chool bi-district playoff games involving Baylor commits/targets being played on Thursday and Friday. That frees up Saturday.

That said, several names who suggest they will be in attendance including..
>Sachse WR Devin Duvernay – Sachse is playing in Killeen. Heck, he might as well just drive up with the family after the game, stay overnight and attend – if this is not an official visit.

>Jordan Elliott, DT, Houston Westside – You know how this can go

>Shyheim Carter, Ath, Kenwood, LA – this is the word so far. Very sketchy at this point.

>Anthony Hines III, LB, Plano East – His dad told us they were coming

>D’Torian Smith, DE, Tatum – He’s a 2017 recruit who just tweeted he is coming.

>Darrell Simpson, OL, Justin Northwest – The 2018 recruit who has everybody’s attention

>Baron Browning, LB, Kennedale – We think he’s coming

>JaMarcus King, LB, Coffeyville C.C.

>Tyree Horton, LB, Highland C.C.

Notable: We’ll also check into whether Trophy Club Byron Nelson DE Brandon Bowen are coming. The Bowen story is one of the most bizarre recruitments ever. BTW, I just had a quick little DM with Smith. He said that he and Baylor DL coach Chris Achuff have develop a strong relationship very quickly. We’ll pass along more.

No word yet on how Silsbee OL Patrick Hudson’s visit went at Texas A&M. I’m sure A&M’s 26-10 hammering at home by Auburn didn’t help. But who knows what kids are thinking. As I reported last week, he said he was still very solid to Baylor. So for now I have to take him at his word.

Big 12 quick thoughts

>Oklahoma State may have the inside track to winning the Big 12. That defensive line is really good. Emmanuel Ogbah was left off the Lombardi semifinalist list? Geez. That front really influenced how TCU could run offensively. That's why I go back to saying that if you give me a great defensive line, I'll figure out the rest of it. It's the most important group of any football team in my opinion.

Baylor and Oklahoma go to Stillwater. And I think none of us were surprised with what we saw from sophomore QB Mason Rudolph. I know many of us were impressed with him last year when OSU came to Baylor last week. Mike Gundy took the risk and took off the redshirt. It worked. Pretty good arm.

>TCU’s season may flipped with the bomb performance QB Trevone Boykin had in Stillwater and WR Josh Doctson injuring his wrist to the point where it could more serious. Maybe we get some indication this week for the rest of his season. Don't forget the Horned Frogs travel to Norman, OK Nov. 21 when the Bears are in Stillwater.

>Texas unleashed a can on Kansas. I have no idea what that means.

>The Kliff Kingsbury era at Texas Tech is pretty much down to winning the games that he should win and never winning the stand up games.

>Since the brutal four is behind it, I could see West Virginia running the table and finishing 8-4.

Ok, I’ve seen the discussion with the women’s basketball team. All I can tell you is that I haven’t decided fully how I’m going to address this program from a coverage standpoint. We will cover them. I realize there is a market for this. Kim Mulkey has built a national program. It’s going to be in the national title discussion every year.

Keep in mind that when they were in the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA’s we took care of them. This is the not the beat that’s going to draw new eyes to the site. Football and football recruiting are the bread and butter.

There is a market for this. I get that. If it means we get another subscriber or two, great. Just be patient as I continue to mull this through.

Now on to other Baylor sports…

>The No. 3 Baylor Equestrian team (6-1, 2-1 Big 12) defeated No. 6 South Carolina (2-3, 0-2 SEC) Friday afternoon by a score of 16-3 at the Willis Family Equestrian Center. This score matches the Gamecocks' worst loss in program history, a 16-3 loss at Oklahoma State on October 27, 2007. Baylor got off to a strong start with a 3-1 win in equitation on the fences. The Bears then followed with a 5-0 sweep of flat to make the score 8-1 at the end of Hunt Seat competition. In the Western arena, Baylor took horsemanship, 4-1, before finishing off the Gamecocks with a 4-1 victory in reining. The next match is Nov. 20 at SMU.

>No. 2 seed Baylor soccer ended its season with a 2-0 loss to No. 6 Kansas on Friday night at Swope Soccer Village in the semifinals of the 2015 Big 12 Championship. The Bears (9-6-4) struggled to contain Jayhawks (10-8-2) striker Liana Salazar, who posted both goals.

>Baylor men’s tennis concluded its run at the 2015 USTA/ITA Clay Court Invitational Saturday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Both BU players were eliminated in the singles quarterfinal round.

>Baylor volleyball (16-9, 4-7 Big 12) rolled through the West Virginia Mountaineers (5-18, 0-10 Big 12) in three sets, 25-19, 25-20, 25-20, at the Ferrell Center. Despite a spotty attacking effort by BU, posting just a .174 attacking effort as a team, the BU defense won the day, holding WVU to a .041 attacking mark, and recording 11 blocks as a team. Baylor hosts TCU at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Ferrell Center.

Let’s make it a great week!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News