ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Perhaps you woke up woke up with a stiff neck on Monday morning. You slept with your head in an unknown arched position and you can’t find a way to relieve the discomfort. No cream or Advil seems to be working. Well, have no fear because the random juke box has just the thing. If you’re a fan of Saturday Night Live and the famous nightclub guys with Will Ferrell and Chris Cataan, then you know what I’m talking about. I give you Haddaway.

The calendar tells us that we have 46 days before Baylor and TCU meet for the 111th time on Nov. 27 at TCU’s Amon Carter Stadium. Baylor is playing West Virginia this Saturday in a game where the Bears are trying to become eligible for the sixth consecutive season. TCU is traveling up to Ames, IA to take on Iowa State. The Horned Frogs are bowl eligible.

And apparently none of that matters.

It looks as if there are certain sectors of each school’s fan base which can’t wait for this game to happen. Last week, both universities incurred some vandalism supposedly delivered by the other side. At Baylor, the RGIII statue in front of McLane Stadium was spray painted with purple. At several locations on the TCU campus, green spray paint was used to inscribe the score of the 2014 meeting (61-58) in Waco.

Of course, on Sunday we recognized the one-year anniversary of that epic game. How can you not?

While spray paint can be wiped away with a power scrub brush or something close to it, we’re seeing a signal about how this rivalry has reached another threshold.

I’m going to put it to you plain: These two schools hate each more than ever.

It’s not that you need a rite of passage to become part of the New World Order of rivalries in college football. We know the most heated are Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, Texas-Texas A&M (it still exists even though they don’t play each other anymore - but should). But when you get the obligatory hijinks when people from one campus enter the sacred grounds of the other’s campus under the dark of night and leave a surprise, it’s not only on, it’s really on. Now it was ideal to see both Baylor AD Ian McCaw and TCU AD Chris Del Conte issue joint statements saying how they respect each other and pleaded with fans to knock it off. Their sign of solidarity was probably a sign that both faith-based universities need to have people living out their faith everyday instead of trampling on it.

But college rivalries kinda just throw that stuff out the window. Faith be damned.

I’ll give you another unrelated example: I have a friend whose son is a pretty good baseball player. This summer they traveled to several tournaments in the deep south including Alabama. They visited Tuscaloosa, the son grabbed an Alabama shirt and then they moved on. Well, they were at Auburn the next day. They go into a Dunkin Donuts with the son wearing an Alabama shirt. Yikes! They get to the counter to order and the clerk, who my friend said apparently was wearing something Auburn under his uniform, looks at his son and says in a gruff voice, “Yeah, what do you want?’’ Now, his son has no ties to anyone. He’s just wearing the shirt but automatically he’s been branded with guilt by association. Obviously, it wasn't the best decision he's ever made. Still, he just placed his order and everything went fine. In the aftermath when they were in the car, the son told his dad, “I should have said that I wanted 16 donuts to represent all of the national championships we’ve won.’’ Who knows what would have happened to those donuts. That would have been a great comeback.

But this is where we’re at between Baylor and TCU. When I tweeted (@SicEmSports) on Sunday morning about the 61-58 anniversary, I received a little blowback from TCU fans about this and that. It stemmed from stop living in the past to how about winning a bowl game and yada yada yada. That’s fine. I think I showed some restraint by telling them well, TCU needs to stop losing to Baylor. I then wished them a Happy Sunday and moved on. They did too because they got the message I wasn’t going to engage them in any further discussion on this.

I’m not saying that civility has become a lost quality here. There are still plenty of old guard who will refrain from doing anything that would cause embarrassment to their own schools. Deep down, they may dislike the bee-jeebers out of that other school. But for about 358 days out of the year – you have to acknowledge the week of the game because you’re going to get more jazzed for it – you’re pretty good and just move on.

How far we have come.

Remember when this game used to be played in the Southwest Conference days and there just didn’t seem to be the emotion tied to it? That’s probably because both programs were for the most part were bad to decent. They were dominant by any stretch. Usually, they weren’t playing for anything so it was just another game on the schedule. However, rivalries take that next step when both programs are good and have high stakes accompanying these meetings. We’re headed toward that the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I really think this started to slowly shift when the Southwest Conference dissolved and Baylor got a seat at the Big 12. TCU was left without a chair when the music stopped. You can’t deny the jealousy. Now Baylor didn’t help its argument for brutal football season after brutal football season. TCU used its anger to build a program that would put itself in the national spotlight. It needed time. Of course, the two teams met four times (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011) before the Horned Frogs joined the Big 12 in 2012. The tick went higher in the 2010 meeting the Horned Frogs blew out the Bears at Amon Carter, 45-10, and the ever famous video “Good job, Big 12” surfaced.

That’s been followed by TCU head coach Gary Patterson’s 2013 postgame rant about the incident with Ahmad Dixon in Baylor’s 41-38 victory in Fort Worth. But we topped that in 2014. After 61-58, Orion Stewart confronted Patterson in the postgame handshake, said something unpleasant before defensive coordinator Phil Bennett got him out there. Then several weeks ago, Patterson said something about “down south” as he was deflecting questions about two of his players being arrested for stealing beer at a party. Since then those charges were dropped and the players have returned to the TCU program.

I made the comment that this is college football’s most intense rivalry. That was greeted by the college football old guard with disdain and probably some ignorance. Does Baylor-TCU have the history that Alabama-Auburn and Michigan-Ohio State do because of what's been on the line? No.

But it’s getting there rapidly.

The Big 12 weekend was talked about in pretty good detail so I won’t get too much into it. However, I have a few thoughts.

>Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder made the colossal mistake of kicking a field goal to tie TCU, 45-45, and hope it would go to overtime. No one seems to understand that this TCU program knows how to win games and will make plays to do it. The Wildcats had to go for it on fourth down and keep the football and beat the Horned Frogs with a touchdown. They had to eat up the clock. Giving Trevone Boykin and Josh Doctson 1:40 with a chance to drive the field was just begging to get beat. TCU, 52-45.

>I don’t know what Saturday’s 24-17 victory over Oklahoma did for Texas coach Charlie Strong and his future. But I think the postgame celebration when his players lifted him up was a clear sign of what Strong means to that team. I hope others within the 40 acres understand and give Strong a real chance. If not, then Texas will continue to get what it deserves because it’s too internally screwed up.

>As for Oklahoma, I’ve been saying this for the last three weeks about this program: What the heck is going on with the Sooners running game? You have two pretty good backs with Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon and new offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley can’t accentuate their skills? What? When Oklahoma is 7th in the Big 12 in rushing going into the Texas game and finished with 67 yards Saturday, that's unacceptable. That’s why they lost. Riley is a talented offensive coach. But my friends, the one constant in this game is running the football effectively. If you establish it, you’re on your way. Baylor learned that painful lesson in the Cotton Bowl and through the first two games in 2015. Now, look at what the Bears doing. It's not a coincidence.

Other thoughts…

>Are we heading toward an I-45 American League Championship Series? Both the Rangers and the Astros are one win away from getting there. The Rangers lead Toronto, 2-1, with Game 4 this afternoon at Globe Life Park. The Astros lead Kansas City, 2-1, and can put the Royals away this afternoon in Game 4 at Minute Maid Park. If we get to a Game 5, they will be Wednesday in Toronto and Kansas City. Speaking of rivalries, the Dallas-Fort Worth-Houston angst may reach a new level if this happens. But I don’t think we’re going to get there. I think Toronto is coming back and winning this ALDS. However, I see the Astros finishing it off today.

>But it would be helpful for Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston if the baseball season would last a little longer and take the focus off their NFL teams. It’s just pitiful. The Cowboys have the built in excuses of no Tony Romo and Dez Bryant. That performance against New England – we probably expected that – was unwatchable. The Texans have no excuse. They stink.

>We have been expecting some big names to come to Baylor for the West Virginia game. I know a lot of the 2017 class has told me that they might be coming. But with an 11:00 am kickoff and Saturday film session, that could make it a little dicey. Of course, we’ll track it. But I’m not sure how many head coaches are going to give their elite players a hall pass. By the way, I can tell you that should Shyheim Carter come, it would only be as unofficial visit.

>it’s homecoming at the house this week. Both of the daughters have been asked. The exchanges are Wednesday. From what I understand the youngest is receiving the mum to end all mums. Apparently, the date’s mother is sparing no expense. So then the questions becomes, “What do you do with it?”

>I have planned my annual trip to Minnesota to watch the Gophers (my late father’s alma mater) – Oct. 31 against Michigan. That’s perfect because that’s Baylor’s bye week. So I get to see Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines in person. I don’t care who you are: When you’re shutting out three consecutive opponents, that’s pretty impressive. It's a quick trip. I leave Saturday morning and return Sunday afternoon.

Let’s take a look at Baylor’s fall sports scene:

>The men’s and women’s cross country teams were off last week. Only the women are traveling to Madison, WI on Friday to compete at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational. The Big 12 championships are Oct. 31 in Stillwater, OK.

>Baylor soccer suffered a heartbreaking 1-0 double-overtime loss to Kansas at Rock Chalk Park Friday evening. The Jayhawks (7-5-1, 2-1-0) scored the golden goal with just seven seconds remaining to hand the Bears (7-5-1, 2-1-0) their first loss in seven matches. The Bears return home next weekend for matches against Oklahoma at 8 p.m. CT next Friday on FOX Sports Plus and Texas Tech at 1 p.m. next Sunday on FOX Sports Southwest.

>This past Wednesday, Baylor volleyball dropped its first home loss of the season, falling in straight sets to No. 2 Texas, 25-16, 25-19, 25-19 Wednesday night at the Ferrell Center. But then the squad downs in-state opponent Texas State in its final non-conference match of the season, sweeping the Bobcats in straight sets 25-18, 25-12, 25-19 Friday night at the Ferrell Center. Baylor (13-5, 1-3 Big 12) returns to conference action as it hosts No. 10 Kansas Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at the Ferrell Center. The Bears will host a Gold-Out promotional event against the Jayhawks.

>Baylor men’s golf placed eighth at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate, after shooting 6-over 286 in Tuesday’s final round at The Old Overton Club. The Bears carded 19-over-par 859 for the 54-hole tournament.

>Baylor women’s golf finished the Tar Heel Invitational in 15th place after shooting an 8-over 296 on Sunday in the third and final round at UNC’s Finley Golf Course. Sunday’s round moved the Bears up one spot in the standings at 52-over 916.

>National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association (NCATA) President Dr. Renee Baumgartner and Baylor Associate Athletics Director and Senior Woman Administrator Nancy Post have announced that Baylor will host the 2016 NCATA National Championships on April 16-19, 2016.

>After winning four-straight matches, the Baylor women’s tennis pairing of Kjah Generette and Blair Shankle were knocked out of the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships this past Thursday.

>The Bears began fall practice this past Saturday and return 24 players from last year's team.

Let’s make it a great week!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News