ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

If you were in the 80s and didn’t believe that the mullet was the hair thing to do for men, then you weren’t cool. Well, maybe you weren’t stupid either.

Australian New Wave Band Icehouse lead singer Iva Davies sported one of the best of that decade.

In fact, it was so perfect it would be hard for someone to duplicate it. While Icehouse has been around for quite some time, the group’s signature hit appeared in 1988. It peaked at No. 7. The interesting part is that John Oates from Hall & Oates co-wrote the song.

The RJB’s trip through the 80s continues with business in the front, party in the back.

ESPN’s College GameDay is coming to Lawrence, KS this Saturday to check in on KU football’s resurgence.

You read that right. College GameDay is coming to Lawrence, KS this Saturday when the Jayhawks play host to TCU.

That’s how so upside down this 2022 season has become.

It’s official that the Jayhawks are CFB’s darlings. They should be. Everybody loves to see a program so down on its luck for years have a resurgence. It makes for good copy. It makes for good video. It makes for unbridled curiosity.

It takes some of the heat off Bill Self who only won a national championship six months ago. But I digress.

We live in a world where Kansas shares the Big 12 lead with Kansas State (2-0). Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are not ranked. Six head coaches have already been fired. My Big 12 Power Rankings segment for this week’s blitz may be the most challenging that I’ve evaluated in the last few years.

With that as the setup, let’s go over what we experienced through the first Saturday in October.

>Maybe you’re not surprised that TCU beat Oklahoma. But you should be on how it went down. Based on how the vulnerable the Sooners looked against Kansas State, if you saw that 55-24 beatdown coming, good for you.

To see that thing erupt to TCU 34, Oklahoma 10 in the first quarter was like stepping into an episode of The Twilight Zone.

When driving to Waco, I was listening to the Oklahoma radio broadcast. It was like a skipping record listening to analyst and former Sooner linebacker Teddy Lehman say, “mental errors”. Oklahoma looked, sounded and apparently played like John Blake coached Oklahoma back in the 1990s. And that was really bad.

Baylor’s trip to Norman, OK on Nov. 5 doesn’t look all that daunting. But I have no idea what that would mean for the Bears anyway. A lot of football between now and that game.

>Aggieland is probably in a state of denial, frustration, anger, shock or something in between. Jimbo Fisher is proving that you can recruit a ton of four stars and several five stars to your program and still not develop a standard, culture and reputation.

The only thing Fisher has done is ensure it’s the same ole Texas A&M. What’s bizarre is that for someone who was known to develop great offenses, he has a really weak QB roster.

When I watched them at length against Arkansas last week, they did nothing. Arkansas helped them with a fumble at the goal line that was returned for a score.

Fisher benched Hayes King for LSU transfer Max Johnson a few weeks ago. But Johnson hasn’t been any better. He was terrible Saturday at Mississippi State with a fumble through the end zone and other red zone disasters before leaving the game with a hand injury. King returned and threw two interceptions as the Bulldogs rolled, 42-24.

Suffice to say, the Aggies won’t win the national championship…again.

>To follow up, we know that Mike Leach is the head coach at Mississippi State. Anyone around this state or who closely follows this stuff knows he’s been a thorn the Aggies’ side between his days at Texas Tech and now Starkville.

For whatever reason, I looked at the A&M-Mississippi State game story just to see what Leach said. I found the jackpot. There was this little nugget that proved why the Aggies are so irritated with him.

“The win for Leach moved him to 9-4 lifetime over the Aggies between Texas Tech and MSU.”

Plus, Mississippi State has won five of the last seven meetings with the Aggies. Leach won at Kyle Field last year (26-22).

>I had to play Switzerland Saturday for the sibling rivalry – Alabama at Arkansas. But the cool thing is that my Crimson Tide Kiley made the drive to Fayetteville to be with my Razorback Kathleen.

As they get older, I can see them trying to make this an annual thing and travel together to wherever the game is. That’s what makes college football the traditional and beautiful thing that it is. It’s a sense of community.

What’s amusing is that Baylor postgame presser is about to start, Alabama-Arkansas is still going and my fired-up Razorback is calling me. I know why. She’s furious that her team just gave up these huge runs to crush any comeback hopes.

Before Aranda walked in, I texted her and said I’ll talk to you when I done with all my postgame stuff. I did. She vented and felt better.

It will be a thing when Arkansas wins this game. I hope Ilive to see it…

>On the drive home from Waco, I’m listening to No. 1 Georgia struggle, really struggle at Missouri and just shake my head. Eventually, the Dawgs rallied to win, 26-22.

This wasn’t a fluke. Missouri was outplaying Georgia. The invincible narrative pushed by the media went down the drain. Because of that Georgia and Alabama flipped No. 1 and No. 2 in the rankings.

>I mentioned last week that the Wisconsin you knew from years gone by was no more following its blowout loss at Ohio State. Well, Wisconsin administration figured agreed. When former coach Bret Bielema took his Illinois team to Madison Saturday and blew out Bucky, 34-10 that was enough. Head coach Paul Chryst was fired Sunday.

We’re six weeks into the season (you include the zero week for that last weekend in August) and here are your college coaching openings: Wisconsin, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Colorado, Arizona State and UAB (UAB coach Bill Clark had to step down for health reasons before the season began).

You have to wonder if Auburn’s Bryan Harsin can make it through this season. I’m a little surprised he’s still there after blowing a 17-0 home lead to LSU. Of course, Auburn needs a new AD. That may be saving him for now.

Big money leads to big expectations. It also leads to big buyouts. This tweet tells the story of what these schools are paying these coaches to no longer coach.

Now, a look at other Baylor sports…

>In Columbia, MO., Baylor cross country finished the Gans Creek Classic on Friday morning with the men's team in 13th place and the women's in eighth. Ryan Day finished ninth.

Baylor cross country makes the short trip to Bryan-College Station to join the Aggies in the Arturo Barrios Invitational, held on Oct. 15th.

>Baylor men's golf shot a 4-under 284 on Sunday to finish in a tie for fourth with one of two SMU squads in the field, in round one at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

The Bears sit just five shots back of the leader, Arkansas Little Rock, which shot a 9-under 279. Just four shots separate spots No. 2-6 on the leaderboard after one round.

>The 13th-ranked Bears defeated (RV) Kansas in Horesj Family Volleyball Center on Saturday morning, downing them in five sets, 3-2.

The Bears (12-3, 2-1) pushed the all-time series further in their favor at 29-27 against the Jayhawks (12-4, 2-2) with the five-set win. BU went 13-25, 27-25, 25-17, 13-25, 15-9 with KU to get the win. That followed a 4-set loss at Iowa State this past Wednesday. BU returns home to Waco and the Ferrell Center for a match, hosting Oklahoma on Wednesday, Oct. 5. The match will be broadcast on ESPN2, the second linear match of the season for the Bears, and will start at 8 p.m. CT.

>Baylor soccer narrowly fell against Texas, 1-0, Friday night at Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field.

The Bears battled the Longhorns all night long, allowing the lone goal in the in the 27th minute. Baylor is 2-6-2 and 0-2 in Big 12 play. They play host to Kansas Thursday.

>No. 7 Baylor equestrian (0-2) dropped a close 10-8 decision to No. 5 Georgia (1-0) on Friday at the Georgia Equestrian Complex in Athens, Ga. That followed an 11-8 loss at No. 10 South Carolina. They compete at Oklahoma State on Oct. 15.

Let’s make it a great week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News