ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
It dawned on me late Monday night. As I was starting to put this week's edition together, I remembered the Wish List story I wrote for Feb. 11. Of course, that's one week after National Signing Day. At the time I thought that of the five, Baylor was going to get two of them. If you click the link, you'll see J.P. Urquidez at the bottom.

This isn't a way of being self-congratulatory. But I can remember that when I settled on these five, I just had the sense there was something about the way the relationship had been developed between the Baylor coaching staff and these players.

Maybe if you're around these prospects and you get to know them well enough (as much as you think you can), you get a feel of who is locked in. Urquidez said Monday he knew that Baylor was his choice about three months ago. That isn't too surprising. Actually, I thought he was going to commit to Baylor when he returned during the 2014 season to catch Baylor's game against Kansas (I think it was Kansas). He made it a point to come back to Baylor. Remember, he was living in Maryland in the fall.

He had since moved back to Copperas Cove. But when he talked about going to Junior Day on Jan. 31 and returning to Friday Night Lights on March 20, his reaction was pure.

In each visit, he wanted to be there. All those visits likely affirmed what he already knew. Urquidez said he wanted to decide before spring football started. And so he has.

Urquidez is pretty well spoken. He means what he says. He isn't one of those linemen who are usually pretty quiet and say little. He's the opposite. I can foresee him in the future being one of those players who will be brought out for media sessions for practice, Monday media luncheons, after games and Big 12 media days.

He'll be a good quote.

The fallout of the Urquidez commitment can go anywhere. There is momentum again after Baylor dealt with the disappointment of Houston Westside DT Jordan Elliott re-opening his recruiting on April 6.

This doesn't mean that Baylor is going to successfully lure all of the Rivals 100 or 250 players that it truly wants. It just means Baylor won this round.

What the Urquidez news does is remind the entire Baylor community that it is well into a recruiting era where it is legitimately in the mix for more of the big name prospects. Consecutive Big 12 championships have proven that the program can compete.

Conversely, it also means that Baylor's success percentage in landing these 100 or 250 kids is going to be low. That's not a negative. That's the reality because there are a lot of good programs and kids have different reasons for wanting to go different places. And Baylor isn't pursuing a lot of them either. But the Baylor name resonates with these well-known recruits.

What's key is when Baylor knows it's really in a race for someone. That's what happened on Monday. So far, Baylor has landed four of these players. Between Urquidez (135), Port Arthur Memorial running back Kameron Martin (175), Silsbee offensive lineman Patrick Hudson (26) and Grandview quarterback Zach Smith (241), that's pretty good work.

There are more decisions out there. The accumulation of the 2016 class - that appears to be about 20 give or take - is going to be more of a marathon than what we saw with the 2013 class when about 17 recruits committed between late April and early June.

Wherever Bryce Petty lands in the NFL draft, he knows he has a lot of work ahead of him. Obviously, what you read about him is that he's probably not going to see the field anytime soon. If he transitions into a starting quarterback that's likely going to be a situation where opportunity and timing meet.

But that's the way it is in the NFL. All any drafted player is ask for is a chance. Contracts aren't guaranteed. The pressure to perform is extraordinary. But if Petty lands on an opening day roster in September - and he should - then he has his foot in the door.

Petty has been the good soldier ever since he started taking starting snaps at Baylor. He's done everything that's been asked. He's reliable.

You have to wonder was it simply a talent thing that vaulted the likes of Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manziel to the top of those respective draft boards. Those two had off-the-field issues that should have made organizations run in the other direction. But they were big names that came with media hype. Sometimes, the organization wants to win the buzz and the press conference. And if it wins on the field, that's fine as well.

Leaf's career was a disaster and there were signs going into the 1998 draft that his career was going to flame out. But his ability on the field was too hard for San Diego to ignore, even though there was the debate whether he or Peyton Manning was going No. 1.

Manziel won a Heisman Trophy and made the impossible look simple at Texas A&M. His size was a concern as was his ability to run a NFL offense. His track record of poor decisions off the field defined him.

But it only takes one team to change the story. Now, the Cleveland Browns have to quietly be asking themselves "What were they Thinking?"

Whatever happens with Petty, you have reason to believe he will do everything to earn confidence. If his NFL career doesn't last too long, it won't be because he didn't give it his best. NFL careers don't last long anyway. So when that window opens, you better take advantage.

The recent Masters could be viewed as really special or really lacking drama. It depends on your angle.

For me, it was pretty impressive watching 21-year-old Jordan Spieth from wire to wire, tie the scoring record and never give anyone in the field a chance to believe it could catch him.

It's about as close to calling it a perfect weekend as you can. Spieth is already hailed as the new blood that the game desires. Now, all eyes will be on him June 18-21 at Chambers Bay in University Place, WA. to see if he can continue his grand slam run.

As for Tiger Woods, the universal opinion is that he got everything out of the weekend. He made the cut, finished in the Top 20 and seemed to offer the idea he is emerging from his four-year crash.

He looked healthy, energized and showed some fire. Does that mean he's going to get it together for the balance of his career and catch and pass Jack Nicklaus? I still have a hard time believing that because the field has changed so much in recent years. The depth in the game continues. And frankly, these guys don't fear him anymore.

Time will tell. I'm indifferent toward Woods. I get he's good for the game because of his success and he will make people turn on more televisions. If he does pass Nicklaus then good for him. If he doesn't, the world will still keep rotating on its axis.

I don't know if Michigan is setting a trend where other football programs will follow but did you happen to catch the note that new head coach Jim Harbaugh is taking his summer satellite camp tour on the road? I'm not talking about Akron.

During the first week of June, Michigan is going to have camps in Alabama (June 5) and in DFW at the Gopher/Warrior bowl in Grand Prairie (June 9). Baylor will have finished its first wave of camps by that time as its last one is June 7 on the university campus.

Despite recent down seasons, Michigan's name still has clout so there has to be the thinking that doing something like this will attract a healthy number of kids. Plus, Michigan doesn't want to be bad anymore. Michigan has six Texas players on its current roster.

If you're Baylor and other programs, you're probably watching this to see what kind of success this generates. If it goes over well, maybe taking a Baylor camp to New Orleans or somewhere in Florida could be a future conversation.

Baylor has started to push its recruiting agenda beyond Texas borders. The 2015 class finished with recruits from Oklahoma (OL Riley Daniel) and Louisiana (DB Henry Black). Obviously, you've read about the number of offers going to more top Louisiana kids. So if Baylor enjoys a strong 2015 season then who knows. But make no mistake, this program will always keep Texas as the first priority.

Ah, April 15 is approaching. A day that summons the greatest of angst, panic, frustration and the expression of colorful metaphors.

The Tax man cometh unless you filed an extension. So consider this you're friendly reminder to finish your return by midnight Wednesday or endure a mountain of chaos.

I know we have some CPA's on the board. They do a great job of keeping their clients out of trouble. Bless them for being so verse within the archaic yet vast tax laws.

As a side note, my accountant is a Baylor alum. He and my late father went all the way back into the 1960s. His granddaughter was just accepted into Baylor and attended some functions this past weekend.
But April 15 also carries significant history. On this date in 1947 Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier. He went to win National League Rookie of the Year and led the Brooklyn Dodgers to the World Series. By the way, if you haven't seen the movie, "42", you really owe it to yourself to do that. On Wednesday, every Major League Baseball player will wear 42 on his jersey. Baseball retired that number.

Now, let's take a look at the other Baylor sports:

>The second-ranked Baylor men's tennis team returned to its winning ways with a 4-0 shutout victory over No. 25 Oklahoma State Sunday.

The match began at the Hurd Tennis Center, but was forced indoors to the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center just after the completion of all first sets in singles. The win raised BU's record to 18-4 overall, 2-1 in Big 12 action and 11-2 at home, while Oklahoma State fell to 16-7 and 0-4 in Big 12 play.

>Baylor Acrobatics & Tumbling (9-0) took down the University of Oregon Ducks (5-3) 284.245-274.640 Sunday afternoon at the Ferrell Center.

>The No. 14 Baylor softball team dropped both games of a doubleheader to No. 10 Louisiana-Lafayette Saturday at Lamson Park. The Bears dropped game one 3-1 before the Ragin' Cajuns run-ruled BU 12-2 in the finale.

Sarah Smith.

In game two, Shelby Friudenberg's 11th home run of the season gave Baylor a 2-0 lead in the third inning. However, ULL (32-5) scored 12 runs in the bottom of the fourth inning to run-rule Baylor (29-9). Baylor plays Houston Baptist at home on Tuesday. The team resumes Big 12 play this weekend at Oklahoma.

>The seventh-ranked Baylor women's tennis team broke a two-match losing streak by shutting out No. 36 Texas, 4-0, Saturday at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Baylor raised its record to 20-6 overall and 6-1 in Big 12 play. The Bears are 12-2 in home matches and 14-6 against ranked foes, while Texas fell to 8-10 overall and 4-3 in Big 12 action.

>Baylor (13-22) hosts Incarnate Word (11-23) Tuesday at Baylor Ballpark with a 6:30 p.m. CT first pitch. Yes, IW does draw a lot of ire for other reasons. And yes, that's where the baseball program is. We're putting them in with the other sports. The Bears travel to Oklahoma State this weekend.

And yours truly caught a break with the 8th grader. The coaching staff that guided them through middle school didn't find the pink slip. We now have them for their summer select season. So we get to keep it going for a little longe..

The potential Mulkey class of 2019 knocked down four 3-pointers (probably averaged like eight in the four games) but missed the game-tying three in the closing seconds in the game we lost. But 3-1 and second place with basically a new roster wasn't too bad. While she likes to dial from long distance, I've been "chewing" on her to drive to the basket more.

We're playing in these Prime Time tournaments, which seem to have less of a money making, street ball feel to them like other summer select tournaments do.

Let's all make it a great week and enjoy this different random juke box entry from the great Rod Stewart. He just turned 70.

This post was edited on 4/14 10:09 AM by K Lonnquist

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News