ADVERTISEMENT

Washington ready to run at Baylor; Camp No. 2 update (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Washington ready to run

While new Baylor 2023 commit Bryson Washington is a freakish athlete, he’s ready to do his part with Baylor’s running game once he arrives on campus.

A day following his official visit, Washington flipped from SMU to Baylor. Baylor needed running targets. With Denton Ryan’s Kalib Hicks committing to Oklahoma and College Station’s Marquise Collins appearing to want to play out of state, the coaching staff needed new options.

Washington is one of those.

“I’ve wanted to go to Baylor since the beginning,’’ Washington said. “I already knew I was going to get called to the 254.’’

Leading Franklin to the 2021 Class 3A Division II state title, Washington rushed for 1,480 yards and 20 scores and added 212 receiving yards. That followed the 2020 season when he rushed for 1.376 yards and 19 scores as Franklin played in the state title game.

But if Baylor needs him in a pinch for the secondary, Washington is more than capable.

“I love it,’’ he said. “I honestly love playing football.’’

Well, Washington loves to play a lot of sports. He helped the Franklin basketball team to the 2021 state quarterfinals. His personal best in the broad jump is 41-4.

He hopes to be able to make things work so that he can enroll next January.

Woods resume
La Grange 2023 defensive tackle Jaren Woods has one of those bodies where the story is far from being finished written.

He’s got size and the first step that helps for any defensive end spot. What he needs to work on a little more is his pass rushing ability.

Woods only collected one sack in 2021. But he is a productive player. He averaged five stops per game in 2021.

Maybe he isn’t as far along as other defensive prospects like an Ashton Porter. However, that probably doesn’t impact anything. Sometimes, it’s better to reel in those types of players where there more to tap.

Baylor No. 2 camp reactions – DJ Coleman, Josiah Martin
>It worked when Baylor encouraged Mesquite Horn 2023 safety DJ Coleman to come to camp on Saturday. Before the camp, Minnesota was the only D1 offer. Now, Baylor is the second.

“It was a great experience,’’ he said. “I really had a great time.’’

Coleman was productive in 2021 for Horn with 62 tackles (36 solo). He also added a couple of a sacks and five passes defended. He was one of the bright spots in an otherwise dismal 2-7 season.

“They liked my speed and versatility,’’ he said. “They know I can tackle. I did that in the 1 on 1s against the wideouts. They like how I turn my hips.’’

He is talking to Baylor about taking an OV. That’s probably going to be sometime in the fall.

>Denton Guyer 2024 wide receiver Josiah Martin (5-11, 165) is letting his actions speak louder than his words.

That paid off at the camp on Saturday when he collected his second D1 offer from the Bears. Utah is his other offer.

“It went great,’’ Martin said. “The energy out there was great, lots of good direction from the players and some real competition out there!!”

Martin was one of those who used the recent May evaluation period to his advantage. He couldn’t get on the field much during Guyer’s 2021 Class 6A Division II state championship game appearance.

Now, he’ll get his chance this fall. Martin is a one-step-and-he’s-gone type of vertical threat. He worked quite a bit with Baylor wide receivers coach Dallas Baker.

“I took away a lot,’’ Martin said. “Biggest thing I took from him was taking what you are being coached on and applying it to your game. The biggest was just using my speed to beat the defenders.’’

Look for Guyer to mix Martin around the slot and on the outside.

“A strong point of mine is getting in and out of my breaks fast,’’ he said. “An area I need to work on is keeping my pad level low through the route.’’

Kellen Tasby – Evaluate and follow
Little Elm 2024 quarterback Kellen Tasby was at the June 4 camp and tried to make an impression with the Baylor coaches.

While he didn’t come away with an offer like other QBs have, he’s trying to make an impression. He is tall and rail thin. But that’s a frame providing an opportunity to be molded the right way.

“What I got from the camp was to continue to work on my pocket presence and knowing what my reads are for each play and which drop to use for that play,’’ Tasby said. “Going forward, just to keep working on my throwing motion and mechanics.”

Like many quarterbacks, they are prone to make one read from the snap. Trying to keep the clock in the head while making a throw is a challenge. That’s something he hopes to develop over time and live competition.

“I think the biggest challenge from a physical standpoint is being given enough time in the pocket by the O-line,’’ Tasby said. “I think on the mental side is making sure I Iook at the pre-snap formations and how the defense is lined up and knowing where to throw based on game film and game plan.”

Typically, Baylor will go through the combine portion when the camp begins. It will also take measurements. That’s something Tasby appreciated. He’s also a pretty good basketball player and is splitting his summer between 7 on 7 tournaments and playing in summer basketball tournaments.

“Evaluations were thorough. Other camps don't measure wingspan or hand size and have different ways of testing broad jumps and verticals,’’ Tasby said. “It was very combine like. Coaches were great. We spent a good amount of time on drills and I felt I had a good opportunity to showcase my QB skills. Campus was nice. I had good vibes.”

Final Camp heads up
By the end of the week or even on Saturday, we should have a feel for some of those who will be competing in the final camp of June.

However, 2024 commit Jadon Porter will head north to Waco and compete. The Rivals No. 214 and 4-star showout wide receiver from Lorena might be the one to turn heads on what figures to be a really hot day. Temperatures could reach 105.

Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News