ADVERTISEMENT

Twice as nice: 3-star S Devin Neal reflects on 2nd OV to Baylor (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher
Devin Neal Jr.
is one of those late crossover recruits between the Matt Rhule era and the Dave Aranda era. He understands the radical late shifts in recruiting and the coaching world.
The Lexington (KY) Frederick Douglass 3-star defensive back has seen so much change between coming for an unofficial visit from the Nov. 23 game against Texas to flipping from Cincinnati to Baylor in December right after his first official visit to see Rhule to coming back for his second official visit and visiting Aranda.

The NCAA has a rule that allows committed/signed players who have taken an official visit to their school of choice to return for another visit if there is a coaching change. Neal took advantage of the rule.

“Honestly, everything has been kept the same,’’ Neal said. “And I believe that coach Aranda wants to keep things the same keep the great atmosphere that was there before.’’

Aranda used these last two weeks of the contact period to reach out and visit most of the members of the 2020 class. Neal was one of the last.

Baylor’s defensive scheme could see a shift from Rhule and Phil Snow to Aranda and new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. The Bears were in a 3-3-5 look in 2019. Aranda bases out of a 3-4 but could adjust to what the Baylor roster presents to him.

The important meetings for Neal were getting to know Aranda better as well as new defensive backs coach Brian Stewart who he will be working with daily. Neal will arrive in June.

“They’re looking to use me at safety,’’ Neal said. “They plan on putting me in the position to make plays whether we’re in man or zone or blitzing. I really liked [Aranda and Stewart]. They both have a lot of knowledge on the game. And as a man, I believe I can learn a great deal from them.’’

Admittedly, Neal was anticipating some changes from what he dealt with when it came to Rhule’s staff. He was pleasantly surprised.

“I kind of expected things to be slightly different due to the coaching change,’’ Neal said. “But everything has the same vibe and feel to it. I wanted to come again, especially because I love it down there.’’

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News