ADVERTISEMENT

The Unspoken: Briles on Seth Russell

efernandez14

Gold Member
Jun 21, 2013
Dallas
Now that Spring Practice is over and Seth Russell is at the top of the depth charts at QB, I find it interesting that CAB is reserved in his comments to the media on Seth. Went backed and looked at CAB's comments on Nick Florence and Bryce Petty:

Briles on Nick Florence (August 2012):
"I have a tremendous amount of confidence in the passion, the energy, the drive, the fearlessness that he's going to bring to the table for us, because I know him from inside out and I know how he feels," Briles said. "I know how he thinks, and I think I know how he performs."

"I never told him that he shouldn't expect to be Robert," Baylor Coach Art Briles said. "But I put it out there that everyone else shouldn't expect that. I think, arguably, he had the toughest position to fill in America, following a guy who won the Heisman and is as dynamic as Robert is on and off the field."

"I never asked Nick to be Robert," Briles said. "I only asked him to be Nick."

Briles on Bryee Petty (August 2013):
'Really, Bryce [Petty], a reasonable expectation, first thing that popped into my mind is break every Baylor record there is offensively, which is what we expect him to do and what he plans to do.'

Granted, these quotes were prior to the start of the season after fall camp, but his tone and comments are ones of confidence in his new QB, especially Petty who had less playing time than Seth. Also, if i recall correctly, both Nick and Bryce were named starters heading into the Spring.

My take is CAB has significant reservations about Seth that he's not publicly disclosing. Don't think he's seen the on-field progression or leadership intangibles that he saw in Nick and Bryce. Just think it's interesting looking at his comments on prior QB's in light of how his comments on Seth have focused on his need to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News