ADVERTISEMENT

The Football Player's Prayer

Clairatt

Aug 18, 2013
Ok, so I'm a not a so funny internet comedian and occasional pot stirring troll and general all around know it all, and these are most of my good points. But, there's another side that doesn't really translate to the internet. I've almost shared this a few times in the past, but held back for one reason or another. Anyway, some version of the below started when I was a player in high school back in the 80's. It evolved through my career, then was reborn when I became a coach, evolved some more, then changed a bit when my son was playing. Watching your son play changes you. So, the current version is from that perspective. I love you guys and I love our players. As much as we worry over them, in good taste or bad, it feels like they are our sons sometimes. So, this is going to be a war. I lift them up with it and ask you to join. Enough. Here it is:

The Football Player’s Prayer

O Heavenly Father,

We have gathered at your field of glory once again as our sons prepare for battle.

Let them know that, if we could, we would accompany them and stand shoulder to shoulder with our boys and protect them;

In our stead, will You go with him and shield him with Your strength and defend him with Your might?

For not one of them do we ask the special favor of victory or individual achievement, but for each of them we ask these blessings:

Let him play with honor and within the rules of the contest;

Let him leave the field as healthy as he entered it, save only the fatigue of his effort;

Give him the strength of the mighty earth he runs upon;

Give him the relentless determination of the ocean tides;

On this day, Lord, let him run like the wind;

Let him play for the joy of his school and community;

Let him play for the honor of his family;

Let him play for the glory of Your name in the highest.

Let us watch his performance with humility and not pride. If he pleases You, let it be only You who stands and proclaims “This is my son, in whom I am well pleased.”

We ask these things for our sons in the name of Yours,

Amen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.