ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday recruiting update

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Roy Talks Baylor

It’s impossible for Baylor to speed up Spring defensive tackle Bravvion Roy’s timeframe. But those are always subject to change. Roy’s current plan isn’t to make a commitment decision until after the 2015 season.

Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett and defensive line coach Chris Achuff stopped by last week to check in on one of the program’s priorities.

It’s no secret defensive tackle is a priority for the 2016 class. The Bears like need three. Baylor lost Jordan Elliott last month but continues to pursue him. Regardless, Roy has remained a top target.

While there will be senior losses between Beau Blackshear, Suleiman Masumbuko and Trevor Clemons-Valdez, the coaching staff likely is preparing a plan should junior Andrew Billings deliver a big season and then declare for the 2016 NFL draft.

“Baylor is still No. 1,’’ Roy said. “If it all ended today, I would be a Bear. [Bennett and Achuff] talked to me how I could be the guy to step in [if Billings declared].’’

Roy is going through spring season and has Baylor in a Top five that he said is subject to change. It’s in no order but Missouri, UCLA, Miami (Fl.) and USC are others he’s seriously considering. However, the latter three have not offered him. But the evaluation period continues.

Smith brings the heat
Grandview 2016 quarterback commit Zach Smith is not only a coveted recruit, time could tell if professional baseball could enter the mix.

Smith pitched Grandview to the District 9-3A championship last Thursday by pitching a no-hitter and striking out 13. He apparently has legitimate velocity to his fastball. Smith said he has been clocked at 90-91 mph between throwing his two-seam and four-seam fastball. By today’s professional baseball standards, 90-91 is now considered an average fastball.

While the throwing motions differ, the two do help each other, Smith. He said he can tell his arm strength is noticeably different.

"I can already tell a difference from this year and last year from the football season,'' Smith said. "The mechanics aren't really the same, but it's not too much different. I just have a little longer throwing motion with the baseball. I don't get into bad habits at all. I can usually pick up the football and it'll be pretty close.''

Smith said he hasn’t had any college baseball or professional baseball scouts come out to evaluate him much less talk with him as of yet. But SicEmSports is aware that several professional organizations know who he is.

Grandview begins the playoffs this week.

Martin heading back to state
Baylor 2016 running back commit Kameron Martin and Port Arthur Memorial 4x100 and 4x200 relay teams are heading back to the state track and field meet May 14-16 in Austin.

The two teams qualified for the Class 6A state meet in each event this past weekend in the Region III meet at Crump Stadium in Alief. Martin ran a 9.44 split in the 4x100, while the 4x200 squad finished with a 1:24.85.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.