ADVERTISEMENT

Single Digit Flashback (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Welcome to another edition of Single-Digit Flashback. Playing off Baylor’s new and popular tradition of awarding numbers 0-9 to those deserving players who have become leaders on the team.

The RJB knows you can’t deny your very self. Somewhere in the deepest corner of your mind, you are a little bit of a Swifty. And you know that when you have been driving and listening to the radio or were in the same circle where one of those songs came on, you were Jonesin’ to it. So just park the ego and deal with it. It’s OK to be a quasi-closet Swifty. Some of the stuff isn’t bad.

Now, the RJB believes Taylor Swift sold out when she broke from the Country-Western scene and transitioned to the pop culture about 10 years ago. Her country music had better depth to it. However, this choice is from the sellout era.

What can we tell ya…

>0. One of the things that Baylor can feel about with projected new center Grant Miller is his durability. He’s made 14 starts at center and all nine in 2020. He’s played in just about every big environment that you can ask summon. And as a center, that’s going to be pretty important since he’s the one usually making all the calls on the blocking schemes depending on how the defense is aligned. Plus, I think he will be a great asset for a young quarterback whose head will be spinning in the early stages of 2021. From what my Vanderbilt colleagues told me, Miller probably missed maybe 5-10 snaps all season. And consider that he performed at this high level between a terrible 0-9 season, a coaching change and three other OL starters opting out before the season began. He was a team captain. Hopefully, that will mean something here.

>1. Miller’s decision came within hours technically of BYU offensive line coach Eric Mateos taking the job that was vacated by Ryan Pugh in less than 48 hours. Obviously, Miller had an inkling of what was going on. It didn’t make it a bad thing that he was a legacy at Baylor. The word you hear on Mateos is that he’s a quiet guy but very intense and great student of the game. His familiarity with Jeff Grimes between LSU and BYU is the major tie and why he’s here. Baylor has gone through so many offensive line coaches in the last four seasons, it has to hit on one of them, right? BTW, Mateos to Baylor was pretty much wrapped up Wednesday night.

>2. Personal transgressions are only hollow if you don’t apply the lessons learned and try to become a better person from them. In other words, the actions must speak louder than the words. Indeed it really was in bad form for Pugh to pull the blackface incident that he did. Although the attention and intensity over these episodes is greater now than it was then, it was still a big deal back then. I posted his tweet about his apology and I truly hope he will be a better person for it. However, given the intensity surrounding Baylor going back to the sexual assault scandal in 2016, this university is going to continue to look over its shoulder. It shows you how intense its background checks are compared to others because this school cannot afford to have anything negative of significance impact it. It likely would have been a short media storm. But Baylor rightly got in front of this and diffused anything before anyone could find a wick. And keep in mind, the university still doesn’t know its fate from the NCAA.

>3. Baylor’s overhaul in the recruiting department with James Blanchard back as AD over scouting is a move that should have some kind of payoff. What I like about Blanchard’s story is that he is fulfilling the American dream. He found something he liked – evaluating players – honed that passion and put himself in position where he could leave a job for his municipality in The Golden Triangle and become a sought after commodity. Even though his stint with former Baylor coach Matt Rhule lasted just a year in Carolina, I think you can appreciate the fact he watched talent at the top of the line then evaluated those who were aspiring to get to the NFL. His eye will be sharper. He will look for other elements that maybe he didn’t in the past. And Baylor will benefit for it. Plus, his influence will have a great impact in the recruiting meetings when discussions over offers commence.

>4. However, this offseason unfolds, I think I can tell you that I’m looking forward to it probably more than I have in other years. Nothing against the Matt Rhule offseasons. Maybe that was because there were very few changes on his staff. But with an overhaul to Dave Aranda’s offensive staff, a new direction in the strength and conditioning program and a return to normal in scouting, you can feel good about the direction of the program. I’m not sure how the record for 2021 is going to look. Not worried about that. But there is a sense of feeling like you’re really going to get to see an Aranda football program grow in his image rather than just exist like it had to last year because of the pandemic.

>5. So last week I told you about Aledo 2022 tight end Jason Llewellyn (6-5, 225) and how he’s one of the best TEs I’ve seen in the high school game in a long time. A snapshot of what he did in Aledo’s 55-28 Class 5A Division II state semifinal win over Wichita Falls Rider.

*He started off basically corralling a one-handed pass in a hot box situation at around the Rider 18. The pass came in between a linebacker and safety. He told he me actually cut the rout short because of how quickly they were closing on him. Llewellyn extended his right hand out, caught his own ricochet – still one-handed – and took the play about three more yards.

*On an onside kick, he was on the hands team. Llewellyn fielded a perfect hop and scampered 50 yards for a score on the return.

*On what turned out to be a yard ball play, he stayed with his quarterback who threw down the far sideline. Llewellyn read the play, was able to keep his feet in bounds as he grabbed it at the Rider 1-yard line.

He’s that good. And I get to see him and Aledo one more time Friday at 1 pm against Crosby for the state title at AT&T Stadium. Aledo going for its 10th state title and ninth since 2009.

>6. Speaking of state titles, it probably does Baylor Associate Head Coach Joey McGuire proud to see his old home, Cedar Hill, back in the state championship game. There was a little give and take because his former school knocked out Baylor incoming defensive end, Cooper Lanz, and Denton Guyer, 27-17, in the Class 6A Division II state semifinals. McGuire was the one who turned Cedar Hill into the program that it is today. And wouldn’t you know, Cedar Hill is facing Katy. This the fourth time, these teams will meet in the title game. Cedar Hill won the 2013 (34-24) and 2014 (23-20) meetings. Katy won the 2012 contest (35-24). That game is at 1:00 p.m. Saturday at AT&T Stadium. Still so bizarre to be talking Texas high school football state championships in January. This truly was the 2020-21 high school football season that will end after the college football season and during NFL division playoff round.

>7. A pretty arduous stretch of games coming up for No. 2 Baylor with home to No. 14 West Virginia on Tuesday, at No. 18 Texas Tech Saturday and home to No. 6. Kansas on Big Monday (Jan. 18). If Baylor can sweep through these games, then I think the only roadblocks in their way to remain undefeated would be the two meetings with Texas and the return trips to West Virginia (Feb. 15) and at Kansas in the regular season finale (Feb. 27). The first meeting with Texas is scheduled for Feb. 2 in Austin. There has been no makeup date set for the one on Dec. 13 in Waco that was postponed. There is an 11-day window between the end of the regular season and the start of the Big 12 tournament (March 10-13). That might be the timeframe to look for that then.

>8. A phenomenal year for Baylor’s own Xavien Howard who led the NFL with 10 interceptions this year for Miami. He’s going to the Pro Bowl (well, not really going because there won’t be one). On Friday, he was named to the Associated Press All-Pro team. He received 47 of 50 votes, the most of any cornerback. But more than the INTs, he had 20 PBUs this season. Howard, who was a late add to the Art Briles 2012 class. Rivals rated him as a 2-star 5.2 rating. Why? No one knew who he was.

>9. Finally, the pick on Monday night’s National Championship game between No. 1 Alabama (12-0) and No. 3 Ohio State (7-0) in Miami. This is only the 5th all-time meeting between these Blue Bloods. Alabama leads, 3-1. However, Ohio State won the last meeting, 42-35, in the 2014 CFB semifinals at the Sugar Bowl. For me, the key is how well each team’s defense defends the run. If Alabama can limit OSU’s Trey Sermon or if Ohio State can do the same against the combination of Najee Harris and Brian Robinson, then it will allow each defense to be more aggressive in pass coverage. The question before the game will be if Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle (broken ankle vs. Tennessee on Oct. 24) will be cleared to play. He started working out recently. Then there’s the other argument of Ohio State being a fresher team than Alabama. The Buckeyes have played just seven games. The Crimson Tide has played nearly a complete schedule with 12. Well, that’s where all your 4- and 5-star players make a difference in terms of depth. I do think this will be closer. Think Ohio State pushes Alabama into the fourth quarter. But I just believe Alabama has a little too much: Alabama 34, Ohio State 24

Let’s make it a great week!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.